TNG Community

Orphaned Families

NancyP

Hi all,

I have several families that I've input into my Legacy genealogy program that I've been researching and I'm pretty sure they are related but have yet to find the link. They are not connected to anyone in my tree at this time. These families were uploaded along with everyone else and I'd like to be able to identify and access them on the website.

Could someone help me create a report that would list these families?

I'm using TNG 8.1.1

I only have one tree.

Thanks, Nancy

Hi all,

I have several families that I've input into my Legacy genealogy program that I've been researching and I'm pretty sure they are related but have yet to find the link. They are not connected to anyone in my tree at this time. These families were uploaded along with everyone else and I'd like to be able to identify and access them on the website.

Could someone help me create a report that would list these families?

I'm using TNG 8.1.1

I only have one tree.

Thanks, Nancy

The first problem in creating a relevant report is "how do you define an 'orphan' family?". 'Orphan' individuals would probably be easier to define.

It would probably be worthwhile posting your question to the tngusers2 list as the SQL experts might pick it up quicker.

One thing you might consider is to use a tool that already exists - export a GEDCOM file out of your TNG and then run it through Genealogica Grafica - in a few seconds it will compile a report listing all sorts of things about your database, including some error checking, as well as the different "clumps" that are in your tree not connected to each other down to and including orphaned individuals.

http://www.genealogicagrafica.nl/

Roger

One thing you might consider is to use a tool that already exists - export a GEDCOM file out of your TNG and then run it through Genealogica Grafica - in a few seconds it will compile a report listing all sorts of things about your database, including some error checking, as well as the different "clumps" that are in your tree not connected to each other down to and including orphaned individuals.

Roger

Well spoted Roger! I have used Genalogica Grafica to identify data inconsistencies and had forgotten it could do this. It has an error report section 'Gedcom consists of unconnected parts' which lists any 'orphaned' individuals, including their ID numbers.

It may be worth checking the gedcom from Legacy rather than or (as well as) one exported from TNG as that can have a number of differences bewtween what it imports and what is subsequently exported.

Roger

Thanks Roger for this. I installed it and ran my gedcom thru it and found out more than I expected :-?

Looks like I have a little more cleanup work to do!!

Nancy

• 1 year later...
AlbanyMusician

Roger

Thanks so much for this tip. I set up this program and it has been a big help in locating errors in my database.