TNG Community

Quick remarriage (1936)

Barry Chuckle

Barry Chuckle

Hi All

I have a relative (George Denson) who was born in 1894 in Liverpool. He was a wireless operator in the merchant navy. In 1918 he married Alice Quarton (born 1891, Everton, Liverpool) and they had 2 children born 1919 and 1920. They lived in Shaws Road, Southport, Merseyside.

George died in the first quarter of 1936. His widow alice remarried in 2nd quarter 1936 to William Hamilton Laurens. At most there was 6 months between Georges death and Alice remarrying.

George was buried in Liverpool, not Southport. Alice lived in the same address in Southport with William until her death in 1968 and William lived there until shortly before his death (when he move to a nursing home) in 1979.

I have found out that William had a radio engineers business/shop in 1924 in Old Swan, Liverpool (from London Gazette bankruptsy records) and he is listed as wireless operator (retired) in obituaries etc.

How can I find out more about this story?

How common was it for a widow to remarry so quickly?

As both George and William were wireless operators, is it likely that they were friends/colleagues? How can I confirm this?

Why was George not buried in Southport like Alice and William? Was george estranged from Alice when he died? How can I confirm this?

I know its difficult because I'm not interested in vital statistics so much as the back story but can anyone give me any suggestions or leads to follow up.

Thanks

Barry

ps. see my website at http://familytree.densonclan.com/getperson...amp;tree=Denson for details on the 3 individuals listed above.