TNG Community
Rayboy

Hit Counter

Rayboy

Hi all,

As a new user of TNG, I am interested to know how often or how many times my site is accessed. I have not found anything so far that suggestes that there is a facilty to enable this. Does anyone know of such a facility that can readily be installed.

Ray

tomk

Ray,

The only facility within TNG that I'm aware of is the Access Log accessible by the Administrator under the Info drop down. It will show you the most recent 200 (or the number you specify to show) accesses to your TNG installation including the area looked at and what IP/user accessed it. But that won't show you unique visitors. There have been various add-on mods, but I haven't used any.

The other alternative is to use a tool provided by your webhost provider. Within cPanel, I use the Awstats tool under Logs. If provides counts of unique visitor by day/month, etc.

arnold

Ray,

As tomk noted, the access log is very helpful. Please note, however, that you do not have to be an administrator to see it. Here is ours:

http://www.sprague-database.org/genealogy/showlog.php.

Ours is bumped up to "1000 Most Recent Actions," as we are hit so often.

You will note that bots, such as Google's, do not appear. As bots hit so often they clog up the list of your visitors, so there is a way in TNG to keep them from appearing****. To keep them from appearing on the access log, go to Administration/Setup/Log Settings and enter in "Exclude Host Names:" names such as google.com.

Arnold

**** Please be aware that you are not denying access to these bots; that is done in other ways. All that you are achieving by entering names in in the Log Settings above is to not have them included on the access log.

William

You will note that bots, such as Google's, do not appear. As bots hit so often they clog up the list of your visitors, so there is a way in TNG to keep them from appearing****. To keep them from appearing on the access log, go to Administration/Setup/Log Settings and enter in "Exclude Host Names:" names such as google.com.

But if you want to know if the search engines are finding you, keep them on!

bsl20b50

I use Google analytics to track web traffic. It gives you a lot more information than the access log and you can look at information several different ways.

On a side note, I limit access to my showlog.php file to admin only. I don't see any good reason for the whole world to see who is visiting my site.

Bryan

arnold

But if you want to know if the search engines are finding you, keep them on!

Ray,

The only rub with william's suggestion is, as I noted above, your access log will be overwhelmed with listing visits from various search engine bots. Below is an example from Awstats (mentioned above), under the heading: Robots/Spiders visitors

Googlebot 19269+19 (hits) 462.84 MB (bandwidth used) 10 Sep 2010 - 07:05

Note that Googlebot hit our website 19,269 times so far this month. You will be hard pressed to spot regular visitors to your website in this mess of entries.

Arnold

bobbyfamilytree

You can use something like http://statcounter.com/ and there are plenty others on the net.

It gives monthly, daily, yearly and a whole heap of other stats.

Rayboy

Hello to everyone,

My thanks to Tomk, Arnold, William, Bsl20b50, and not least, Bobby Family Tree, who have all been very helpful. I have however found the very facility, "Counter" available through cpanel of my server at Simply Hosting. Although it seems a very simple setup, I am finding it difficult in implementing it on my Front Page.

I am using V.8 with the Standard No. 1 Front page. From what I have read, it does not like front page extentions, or even if they have already been added. As my instalation was done by Simply hosting, I am not very knowledgeable regarding how it was set up. TNG's next genertion software is a little bit more sophisticated than what I am used to. (Mainly free websites like Wetpaint etc)

Any other contributions to help solving this problem would be gratefully received.

Rayboy

William

FrontPage is web publishing software. FrontPage Server Extensions are a software technology that allows Microsoft FrontPage clients to communicate with web servers, and provide additional functionality intended for websites.

I don't think that is what you mean here?

I suspect that you are referring to the page 'index.php' or 'index.htm' which are often called 'home pages'? But maybe you are trying to edit the index page with MS FrontPage?

Putting a hit counter on your home page will result in just the hits on your home page being counted. A better place to put it would be in the footer, which will count all page hits. In your CPanel, click to open Counter. There you will be asked which file you want to put it in. Something like /home/sites/yourweb.com/public_html/ you add counter or something like that in the space provided.

When you go to the page www.yourweb.com/counter, you will be able to configure your counter and then generate some html code.

Copy this code into your footer. You can find this in File Manager in your CPanel. Right click on the footer file, and choose edit. Now put the code somewhere in that page. You might want to think about copying the footer page before you amend it so that if something goes wrong, you can revert to the original code!

I hope I have understood your problem and that this helps?

William

Rayboy

FrontPage is web publishing software. FrontPage Server Extensions are a software technology that allows Microsoft FrontPage clients to communicate with web servers, and provide additional functionality intended for websites.

I don't think that is what you mean here?

I suspect that you are referring to the page 'index.php' or 'index.htm' which are often called 'home pages'? But maybe you are trying to edit the index page with MS FrontPage?

Putting a hit counter on your home page will result in just the hits on your home page being counted. A better place to put it would be in the footer, which will count all page hits. In your CPanel, click to open Counter. There you will be asked which file you want to put it in. Something like /home/sites/yourweb.com/public_html/ you add counter or something like that in the space provided.

When you go to the page www.yourweb.com/counter, you will be able to configure your counter and then generate some html code.

Copy this code into your footer. You can find this in File Manager in your CPanel. Right click on the footer file, and choose edit. Now put the code somewhere in that page. You might want to think about copying the footer page before you amend it so that if something goes wrong, you can revert to the original code!

I hope I have understood your problem and that this helps?

William

Rayboy

Hi William

Yes you are correct in your assumption, I am referring to my home page. It is only the hits on my home page that is of interest to me. The reason being that on my site, http://www.romani-ancestors-tree.com I am open to allowing others who can demonstrate a connection to the trees on my site to participate. This could involve setting up many inependant Branches of the two trees on my site. It is something of an experiment in the first instance, to see how much interest is receive in the first 12 months. That is the requirement for the hit counter. If I understand you correctly, to have a counter of every page viewed will not give me the correct feed back that I am looking for.

Ray

Ancestrees

If I use Statcounter, where do I place their code to have it show up on every page on my website?

cfj

If you don't use WordPress, then add the code in meta.php, so Statcounter tracks visitors on mobile display.