TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
tlfeet

Mambo + TNG - totally dazed & confused

tlfeet

Hi,

I have an existing install of TNG wilking-tribe.net

It works fine, very happy with it.

But, always a but, wink.gif, I would like to have features, functions for the family, beyond Genealogy type things.

So, well caught on to CMS, mambo & post nuke to be specfic, and thought, well let's see how they integrate.

So, I have downloaded mambo, and did a local, test & evaluation install on my mac ... got it running.

Plan on doing a local test/integration of a local, "dummy" install of TNG with the mambo one, see how it goes, get it working, then tackle the live website.

So, open up instructions for the mambo-tng package from Cas.

And totally lost, confused, dazed.

The first line has me lost ... totally, but wait back up ...

It would save time if I did not have to (eventually, when I get to that point) reinstall TNG on my live site.

Can I install mambo over the top of the TNG website? Possible?

But set that aside, and let's go to the first line of the mambo-tng instructions:

Simply copy the contents of the TNG directory into the root of your TNF installation.

By "contents of TNG directory" does that mean the entire TNG package, or the contents of the TNG directory/folder in the mambo-tng package?

Where? Huh?

Where is, what is a "TNF installation"?

I have no "TNF installation" in my Mambo install. Nor in TNG itself.

So, exactly, what do I copy where? Please.

I have a ton of other questions. But well, step 1 is step 1.

I read this thread Mambo and TNG

Which does give some help, clue, but the thread/topic seems to pick up in the middle, given the first post is:

Yes, I follwed as close as I could, I installed the tng in the Mambo root and changed the settings in the config.php to reflect what you did but I cant figure out where the index_mambo.php file goes. And how the mambo and Tng menus interact.

Followed what "as close as I could" ... "reflect what you did" Who did? What did who do? wink.gif

Thnaks for any help.

arnold

Please don't anyone flame me due to my Newbie member status, but my *guess* is that "TNF" is merely a typo as the F and G keys are adjacent to one another and the author failed to proofread carefully.

tlfeet

Hi arnold,

I thought of that too "F" instead of "G", but then the sentence reads:

"Simply copy the contents of the TNG directory into the root of your TNG installation."

OK, so I copy my TNG folder into my TNG folder?

That makes no sense, I don't even think I can do that. wink.gif Computer would give me a message that I can't copy something into itself.

glendo

Hi,

What you want to do is copy index_mambo.php to the root of your TNG install. Then run the com_tng from Admin> components>Install form the Mambo backend. It's been a while since my install but once thats done you should be able to go to Manin Menu Components and see Components TNG, add that to your menu and you should be able to access the program.

For additional help view this thread: http://www.tngforum.us/index.php?showtopic=573

tlfeet

Hi glendo,

First: I took a look see at your website.

Very nice job.

I really lke what you did, both integration end of things, and the features you have on it.

Very good.

I have been trying to piece together stuff.

I found http://www.tngforum.us/index.php?showtopic=573 before - which is from where I got the quote of you. ;-)

Anway, got Cas Nuy's bridge going.

BTW the referenced thread was doubly confusing, as Cas has change his code since it was posted.

I am at the point having the iframe double-scroll "issue" and trying to resolve log ins and log outs.

Right now, the log ins/outs are working really weird.

But, treedood said he would come back with advice about how to get rid of the scroll-bars, but it seems you got rid of them on your own.

What did you do?

In addition, having a hard time piecing together what Chris, treedood and you did in regards to fully integrating log in /out.

And, as I mentioned, Cas it seems has changed his files.

I feel comfortable enough in hacking code, but don't really have a clue where to start. What, where is controlling the scroll-bar, and what/where is controlling log in/out.

Any help is appreciated.

BTW: I wrote another version of instructions for Cas Nuy's bridge.

Please email me if when you post

As the forum is not sending me notifications of new posts.

tlfeet

A follow-up

Was able to piece together some of the other threads here as regards the iframes angle.

So I now have TNG working in full page mode.

Now off to tackle the log in and log out issues - given it is not quite seemless with/after Cas' bridge.

If anybody has some nice, pieced together instructions ... I'll take them. ;-)

Else, it is off to picking through the other threads and some of the mail list posts as well, and trying to stitch them together.

{Oh btw, in case someone comes along later.

There are code differences in index_mambo.php between what the other posts used/referred to and newer downloads of Cas' bridge.}

I will be posting back with more detailed step-by-step how tos to get as far I have gotten now, and if I can get further, well on that as well.

If anybody needs those step-by-steps now, just email me and I will send them off.

glendo

To be honest I really needed all the help I could get since I'm really weak in coding. But one thing I remember was that when I installed the problem with login stemed from not using the Mambo database. When I reinstalled using the Mambo database the proper tables were created in Mambo.

tlfeet

Hi glendo,

near as I can tell I have the proper Mambo tables.

The install of Mambo certainly created a bunch of tables.

I cna register and log into Mambo and such.

I saw where you ran into the issue where Cas Nuy's bridge was using "older" code, and hence the users weren't being copied as needed.

I think that had to do with changes between TNG v4.x and v5.x

I am sort of confused at this point ... have pulled together several bits and pieces from TNG Forum thread, tngusers2@lythgoes.net mailing list, some private emails I have received, etc.

So my current task is to get the logins & outs unified.

Log into one, works on the other (mainly logging in/out on Mambo gets one into/out of TNG, as I am going to "remove" TNG login items from TNG pages)

The registration issues.

Then some look and feel issues.

Then figure out how to get exsiting TNG users over to Mambo without blowing their passwords out in the process (don't have a lot of users at this point - on live website, so should not be too much work).

glendo

My mambo users when they click the Genealogy Link in Mambo menu for the first time are entered into the TNG user tables. They are already in the Mambo User db but until the login to TNG they arent showing up as Users.