TNG Community
Jim Williamson

TNG 8 & 1.5b4

Jim Williamson

Has anyone tested upgrading to v8 yet with 1.5b4?

I'm in process of backing up my entire site to give this a go... but if someone else has tested it, I'd like to hear about it.

Martin J Mosley

Hi Jim,

It is likely there will need to be some changes to the tngiL files since the database tables in TNG have been changed. I haven't had time yet to run a test on my local site, and although Steve is planing some changes to the plugin, I know he is bus for the time being. Personally I don't have the necessary skills to see what changes will be necessary, but I'd be delighted to hear the results of your test which might in turn help us idenify necessary changes.

Regards

svoght

Hi Jim,

It is likely there will need to be some changes to the tngiL files since the database tables in TNG have been changed. I haven't had time yet to run a test on my local site, and although Steve is planing some changes to the plugin, I know he is bus for the time being. Personally I don't have the necessary skills to see what changes will be necessary, but I'd be delighted to hear the results of your test which might in turn help us idenify necessary changes.

Regards

Without having actually looked at the new TNG 8 code, I suspect the biggest issue will be updating the modifications we've made to the TNG's genlib.php. I suspect the username/password/login system hasn't changed much (if at all) and most of the other major TNG changes won't affect the integration or wrapping system, which is really only tied to the TNG header code (in genlib) and the footer code (in footer.php.) In fact, the login/logout code might be sufficiently identical that the basic tngIL installation will still work, so if someone has a test server and feels brave they are certainly free to give it a try and report back to us. The one other spot where there might be some weirdness is due to the new user roles system, since tngIL 1.5 obviously has no knowledge of that -- but basically it would just treat all users as if they aren't assigned a role but still get the usual privileges that you always assigned in TNG7.

Upgrading my TNG installation is high on my list of things to do once I have some free time, so I assure you tngIL will be updated at some point... I just can't offer any guarantees as to precisely when :)

Ken Roy

Without having actually looked at the new TNG 8 code, I suspect the biggest issue will be updating the modifications we've made to the TNG's genlib.php. I suspect the username/password/login system hasn't changed much (if at all) and most of the other major TNG changes won't affect the integration or wrapping system, which is really only tied to the TNG header code (in genlib) and the footer code (in footer.php.) In fact, the login/logout code might be sufficiently identical that the basic tngIL installation will still work, so if someone has a test server and feels brave they are certainly free to give it a try and report back to us. The one other spot where there might be some weirdness is due to the new user roles system, since tngIL 1.5 obviously has no knowledge of that -- but basically it would just treat all users as if they aren't assigned a role but still get the usual privileges that you always assigned in TNG7.

Upgrading my TNG installation is high on my list of things to do once I have some free time, so I assure you tngIL will be updated at some point... I just can't offer any guarantees as to precisely when :)

Steve,

Since the Mod Manager is now included as part of TNG V8, you might consider using it to update any changes to TNG required to make it work.

Also there were several changes made in genlib.php to allow the Joomla CMS TNG Component to work correctly, so maybe some of them also address the changes you needed to make.

Note that I currently do not use any CMS, although I have created a couple Joomla test environments.

Ken

Rush

Messing around with fresh install of TNG v8 and e107 v0.7.22 on XAMPP things went pretty well. As expected the e107 user classes and TNG users are a bit skewed due to the new role settings in TNG.

During the install, I couldn't reach the TNG admin page until after the tngIL plugin was installed.

e107 was handing off new users to TNG, but appeared to default to 'Guest' permissions in TNG regardless of the e107 class settings. This could be corrected through TNG, but could be a bit cumbersome.

If I get some time to work (spring/summer is so busy) with it, I'll see what I can come up with.

Rush

Martin J Mosley

Good to see you back Rush!

I got the same problems on my local site but don't have enough skills to find where or what to start changing.

Still trying to get tng to reflect the e107 theme without maually recoding css files all over the place, so if anyone has had any success please let me know what you tinkered with.