TNG Community

GEDCOM Exports

shajra

When I am trying to export, it says 0 Notes, see below...

94 People, 45 Families, 1 Sources, 0 Repositories, 0 Notes

What do I need to do to export the notes also?

Have you "told" your genealogical software program to NOT export notes?? It may be as simple as that.

Have you "told" your genealogical software program to NOT export notes?? It may be as simple as that.

THATS WHAT I AM "ASKING"..."HOW" do I undo it. I am on the Admin panel using the default export option that comes part of "TNG"...

THATS WHAT I AM "ASKING"..."HOW" do I undo it. I am on the Admin panel using the default export option that comes part of "TNG"...

Have you looked at the exported file to see if it contained any notes? It could be that they are not being counted.

No need to shout, thats rude.

:-D i am not much of an online chat person... didnt realize all CAPS meant shouting, I just didnt bother to go back and fix... but good to know

THAT'S WHAT I AM "ASKING"..."HOW" do I undo it. I am on the Admin panel using the default export option that comes part of "TNG"...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My reply, in italics above, to your original question had to do with your genealogical software program. We need to know its name so that we can tell you what to look for in terms of the GEDCOM file it makes. Your program may be configured to not include notes. This is only a good guess on my part.

Your reply above, not in italics, addresses the Admin panel. I do not believe that you should have to go there for the problem you are experiencing.

Starting over at the top, since it seems most poste that aren't grumbling about how you type have (I believe incorrectly) assumed you are not exporting from TNG, but it seems apparent from your question that you are.

Do you have any notes in your TNG database?

What is a URL to your site, and particularly to someone with notes that are apparently missing?

Roger

Starting over at the top, since it seems most poste that aren't grumbling about how you type have (I believe incorrectly) assumed you are not exporting from TNG, but it seems apparent from your question that you are.

Do you have any notes in your TNG database?

What is a URL to your site, and particularly to someone with notes that are apparently missing?

Roger

My guess is that is TNG is not incrementing the counts of Notes exported. I just did an export on my site and it shows

23817 Personnes, 8782 Familles, 359 Sources, 17 Dépôts, 0 Notes
and yet there a plenty of NOTE in the ged file created. Oops, I was exporting in French, so the counts are
23817 Persons, 8782 Families, 359 Sources, 17 Repositories, 0 Notes

My guess is that is TNG is not incrementing the counts of Notes exported. I just did an export on my site and it shows and yet there a plenty of NOTE in the ged file created. Oops, I was exporting in French, so the counts are

I just tried my site.....

Finished Exporting GEDCOM

8567 People, 3070 Families, 131 Sources, 4 Repositories, 674 Notes

and when I look at Notes on the public dropdown menu it shows 735 notes.

and when I look at the xnotes table it shows 738 records.....

I exported the table from the host site....

673    N300    xxx    "Valley Cemetery in Browerville, Minnesota. Philbrook, Todd, Minnesota  Did he die here?"
674    N523    xxx    Dick passed away from cancer.  He was living in Eatonville, Pierce, Washington, USA at the time.
675        xxx    State of Minnesota, Minnesota Death Index, 1908-1002, Minneapolis, MN, USA: Minnesota Department of Health
676        xxx    Social Security Administration, Social Security Death Index, Master File, : Social Security

TNG must stop counting at the "Nxxx" entry in the noteID field.

And I use FTM2010 now... and there is no direct access to notes via the menus. So I looked at the gedcom from it and it does assign note ID's.

SO, I just added a note using TNG and did the export and still 674 records.... but now it shows 736 total notes.

TNG does not use the noteID field when you enter notes, hence it will show 0 records exported if you solely use that method.

Your notes are probably in the gedcom....

Scotty

I just tried my site.....

8567 People, 3070 Families, 131 Sources, 4 Repositories, 674 Notes

and when I look at Notes on the public dropdown menu it shows 735 notes.

and when I look at the xnotes table it shows 738 records.....

I exported the table from the host site....

673    N300    xxx    "Valley Cemetery in Browerville, Minnesota. Philbrook, Todd, Minnesota  Did he die here?"
674    N523    xxx    Dick passed away from cancer.  He was living in Eatonville, Pierce, Washington, USA at the time.
675        xxx    State of Minnesota, Minnesota Death Index, 1908-1002, Minneapolis, MN, USA: Minnesota Department of Health
676        xxx    Social Security Administration, Social Security Death Index, Master File, : Social Security

TNG must stop counting at the "Nxxx" entry in the noteID field.

And I use FTM2010 now... and there is no direct access to notes via the menus. So I looked at the gedcom from it and it does assign note ID's.

SO, I just added a note using TNG and did the export and still 674 records.... but now it shows 736 total notes.

TNG does not use the noteID field when you enter notes, hence it will show 0 records exported if you solely use that method.

Your notes are probably in the gedcom....

Scotty

Scotty,

That is interesting. If I look at my Trees record, the statistics there match what I showed for the Export, except that Notes shows 3,839 on the tree record. So either way, it is a bug in TNG not counting certain notes on Export, when it evidently counts them for the Trees statistic record.

Of course my Trees statistics record Notes does not match the browsenotes count either.

I am having a similar problem.... :-(

I regularly export my full gedcom from my TNG website as a backup, and normally the resulting file is about 20 MB.

I currently have about 10,00 individuals, 4000 families and over 8000 notes.

The gedcom file, when opened in family Tree Builder contains all my notes attached to the correct person.

HOWEVER ... (sorry, not shouting, just highlighting the point of my post)

Since I recently upgraded my version of TNG from 7.1.0 to 7.1.3, I now find that notes are not being properly exported from TNG.

The gedcom file is now only about 2.4MB (instead of 20MB) and the message at the end of export states that it has exported only 50 notes (instead of over 8000).

My notes.bak is over 12MB.

When I open this gedcom in Family Tree Builder it appears that my "Events" are there, but not my "Notes" - the place where they should be is completely blank.

I am very frustrated by this!

Is there perhaps a glich in the upgrade from 7.1.0 to 7.1.3 that is causing the Notes not to be exported fully?

While I am waiting for replies, perhaps I should try using the old "gedcom.php" and "gedcom2.php" to do an export to see if the notes will export fully using that - or is that a really daft idea?

Cheers, Tina

:?

snip ..

Is there perhaps a glich in the upgrade from 7.1.0 to 7.1.3 that is causing the Notes not to be exported fully?

While I am waiting for replies, perhaps I should try using the old "gedcom.php" and "gedcom2.php" to do an export to see if the notes will export fully using that - or is that a really daft idea?

Cheers, Tina

:?

OK - I am impatient.

I uploaded the 7.1.0 files "gedcom.php" into my root folder, and "gedcom2.php" into my admin folder (even though I am currently using version 7.1.3.)

I then exported my gedcom again.

This time the exported gedcom file is over 18MB, and this is the message I got at the end of the export:

---------------

snip...

F3670 F3680 F3690 F3700 F3710 F3720 F3730 F3740 F3750 F3760 F3770 F3780 F3790 F3800 F3810 F3820 F3830 F3840 F3850 F3860 F3870 F3880 S10 S20 S30 S40 S50 S60 S70 S80 S90 S100 S110 S120 N10 N20 N30 N40 N50 R10

9221 People, 3886 Families, 126 Sources, 13 Repositories, 50 Notes

Download GEDCOM

----------------

I then opened the gedcom in Family Tree Builder, and although the message (above) stated only 50 Notes, the full Notes do, this time, appear to have been attached in the correct way to my Individuals and Families - much to my relief.

:grin:

So - my conclusion is that there must be something wrong with the gedcom.php and gedcom2.php files in V 7.1.3 ? However, I'm no programmer, so please don't hold me to that!

Tina

PS Oddly though - these are my Statistics - which don't seem to quite match up!!

Certainly all the one that are "0" are incorrect as I do have a great deal of media in all these collections. The number of families also do not match the gedcom export report.

Total Individuals 9221

Total Males 4631 (50.22%)

Total Females 4574 (49.6%)

Total Unknown Gender 16 (0.17%)

Total Living 2064

Total Families 2991

Total Unique Surnames 1705

Total Photos 0

Total Documents 0

Total Headstones 0

Total Histories 0

Total Recordings 0

Total Videos 0

Total Angus / Forfarshire Places 0

Total Birth and Baptism Certificates 0

Total Bohling / Rodrigues Collection 0

Total Census Records 0

Total Churches 0

Total Directories 0

Total Dundee Places 0

Total Events & Travel 0

Total Greater London Places 1

Total Hampshire Places 0

Total Kinkardineshire Places 0

Total London Gazette 0

Total Maps 0

Total Marriage Certificates 0

Total Newspaper Clippings 0

Total Newton Family Photos 0

Total Perthshire Places 0

Total Places in the Borders 0

Total Portrait Photos 0

Total Somerset Places 0

Total Stirlingshire / Clamannanshire Places 0

Total Swift & Company 0

Total Joyce - Green Photos 0

Total Ramsay-Hood Photos 0

Total Hewitt-Wark 0

Total Ballantyne-Gadsby 0

Total Sources 126

Average Lifespan 61 years, 226 days

Earliest Birth (John KEEVIL) 1460

Date of Last GEDCOM Import 13 Jul 2009 10:08:57

@all

Some of us (German-TNG-Mailinglist) have ask Darrin to set up a Bug-List and their fixes.

I have created one in the German TNG-Wiki.

For the note bug, please look at

http://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?tit...rivate_Note_Mod

In my TNG-Site I have installed the "Private Note Mod".

I thought the bug would only be the cause of the Mod.

@all2:

Please write EVERY TIME the TNG-Version in your question & answer!

OK - I am impatient.

I uploaded the 7.1.0 files "gedcom.php" into my root folder, and "gedcom2.php" into my admin folder (even though I am currently using version 7.1.3.)

I then exported my gedcom again.

I'm having a problem with notes as well. I'm running ver 7.1.3.

I exported the gedcom from TNG Admin and all notes, sources, etc. exported according to the message. I then created a "guest" tree and imported the created gedcom. There are no notes in any of the records....just a small circle where the note should be.

I read the post regarding the gedcom2 file. I exported the gedcom file and imported into the new guest tree with the same results. All notes are missing.

Is there any resolution for this problem?

Carol

Updated 23 Apr 2010: Darrin discovered that I uploaded the zip file but the gedcom2.php file hasn't been extracted. Once extracted, all notes were imported into my guest tree and are now visible. Thank you Darrin!

It is very helpful to write which TNG-version is used.

To fix the bug, please .swap the gedcom2.php-file with the new version.

look at...

http://www.tngforum.us/index.php?showtopic...amp;#entry26992

It is also posible that TNG writes "0 Notes" and still exports all. :roll:

I read the post regarding the gedcom2 file. Even though the file is included in TNG ver 7.1.3 I downloaded the zip file and extracted the file in admin. I exported the gedcom file again and imported into the new guest tree with the same results. All notes are missing.

Is there any resolution for this problem?

Carol

It is also posible that TNG writes "0 Notes" and still exports all. :roll:

Write to Darrin (darrin@lythgoes.net) and he will fix the bug...