TNG Community
Brett

Relationship Calculations

Brett

I have read Legacy 7 can return non blood relationships. Is anyone able to confirm how well Legacy does with it?

I am interested if it would handle a query such as:

Ian's daughter Rosie marries Fred. Fred and Rosie's daughter marries Gary.

Gary's sister marries George.

What relationship is Ian to George?

Wife's brother's wife's mother's father!!

Brother-in-law's mother-in-law's father!!

Brother-in-law's grand-father-in-law!!

bsl20b50

It works well if your database is not too big. I tried it in my main database (~210,000 names) and it got bogged down finding the relationship between my wife and me (spouse).

Using a smaller database (~2,500 names), it worked very well. I calculated the relationship between my step-father's ex-wife's current husband and my wife's nephew's wife and got the following result (names changed)

MRG[152958]: LVL [160385]'s husband's aunt's husband's father's wife's husband

Here's another one (see if you can follow - my mind is spinning even though I know who all of these people are)

MRG [152958]: LJ [207379]'s granddaughter's husband's sister's husband's father's wife's husband

Bryan

Brett

Using a smaller database (~2,500 names), it worked very well. I calculated the relationship between my step-father's ex-wife's current husband and my wife's nephew's wife.

Bryan

Thanks Bryan, sounds like it is what I need.

I receive requests for 'relationship' to others that are nowhere near obvious. Looks like I will need to purchase the deluxe version of Legacy (about the only Genealogy software I do not have a full version of). Seems it is about the only program that will calculate this. Family Historian 'shows' the relationship as an all in one chart, but you need to follow each link yourself and write it all down.

Brett

Brett

Family Historian 'shows' the relationship as an all in one chart, but you need to follow each link yourself and write it all down.

Update:

Family Tree Maker 2010 makes a good job of the path through non blood relatives, however the actual relationship description is only available as a mouse over on the result field. There is no way to digitally copy.

My Heritage Family Tree Builder 4 includes a both result and copyable display.