TNG Community

PROBLEMS with configuring Descendant and Pedigree charts

thewillistree

thewillistree

I've had my TNG site online for around 18 months, but in the last couple of days it appears that something has happened in the Descendant and Pedigree charts because now they are not being configured correctly by any browsers (I've tried them on IE8, Firefox, Safari and Opera).

I've attached screenshots so you can see the problem. I'm guessing it may be something to do with the descend.php and pedigree.php scripts, but not sure what I can do to solve the problem.

Can someone advise?

Thanks!

Paul

I'd try loading a fresh copy of genstyle.css and see if that helps - or at least compare your genstyle.css file with a fresh copy. Also make sure you know and understand what any changes you've put in mytngstyle.css and templatestyle.css are doing.

Roger

thewillistree

Roger

I've tried uploading a fresh copy of genstyle.css, as well as fresh copies of mytngstyle.css and templatestyle.css, but nothing appears to have changed...

Any other thoughts?

Paul

I'd try loading a fresh copy of genstyle.css and see if that helps - or at least compare your genstyle.css file with a fresh copy. Also make sure you know and understand what any changes you've put in mytngstyle.css and templatestyle.css are doing.

Roger

Roger

I've tried uploading a fresh copy of genstyle.css, as well as fresh copies of mytngstyle.css and templatestyle.css, but nothing appears to have changed...

Any other thoughts?

Paul

Paul,

How about providing a link to the page that is a problem, so we can look at the generated source.

Your site seems to be missing the file pedjson.php - maybe others too?

pedjson.php is what puts the data into the boxes on the chart.

(assuming you have TNG 7.1 at least).

And what is putting the yellow triangle at the lower right? Remove that temporarily and see if that's impacting the drawing of the charts.

Roger

thewillistree

Hi Ken

Well basically its any descendant or pedigree chart produced.... for example

Ancestors: http://www.thewillistree.me.uk/gen2/pedigr...mp;tree=WILLIS1

Descendants: http://www.thewillistree.me.uk/gen2/descen...mp;tree=WILLIS1

Paul,

How about providing a link to the page that is a problem, so we can look at the generated source.

Hi Roger

You're quite right in saying I don't have the pedjson.php file - and I'm not quite sure where it can have gone! However I have downloaded v7.1.2 and used the pedjson.php file from there which is now populating the boxes with info, but still not drawing the chart correctly.

AS for the arrow, not it activates the dropdown data box on the individuals.

Paul

Your site seems to be missing the file pedjson.php - maybe others too?

pedjson.php is what puts the data into the boxes on the chart.

(assuming you have TNG 7.1 at least).

And what is putting the yellow triangle at the lower right? Remove that temporarily and see if that's impacting the drawing of the charts.

Roger

You're quite right in saying I don't have the pedjson.php file - and I'm not quite sure where it can have gone! However I have downloaded v7.1.2 and used the pedjson.php file from there which is now populating the boxes with info, but still not drawing the chart correctly.

I'm still not seeing any data in the boxes, even on a very simple chart like this one

http://www.thewillistree.me.uk/gen2/pedigr...p;generations=2

What else is missing? I think you should get a whole new TNG 7.1.2 install and compare all the files in that to your site to make sure you're not missing something else too.

I'm not talking about the arrows in the drop down menus I'm talking about the yellow triangular corner that gets drawn at the bottom right corner of the screen that has "Give Feedback" on it. Since that's not a part of TNG you should disable that entirely until you have the charts working at least. Then put it back and see if the charts still work.

Roger

Hi Ken

Well basically its any descendant or pedigree chart produced.... for example

Ancestors: http://www.thewillistree.me.uk/gen2/pedigr...mp;tree=WILLIS1

Descendants: http://www.thewillistree.me.uk/gen2/descen...mp;tree=WILLIS1

Hi Roger

Paul

Paul,

I see why I was not seeing your site link, which is in your signature block. If one is browsing the forum anonymously and then clicks reply the URL link that is in a signature block is never displayed. So I guess I may need to log in first before I decide to click the Reply which presents the login.

You might try removing the following line

<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript1.2" src="dddropdownpanel.js"></script>

to see if whatever you added with that javascript conflicts with the TNG javascript used for the charts.

Roger,

I don't know whether there is any tweaking in the forum setup that can change this, and Gustave may have chosen to not return signature blocks to anonymous users.

I don't (easily at least) see where the ability to view or not view signatures is controlled, but I also wonder why you browse anonymously - I never "Log Out" from the board and almost never log in, even after a computer restart my Safari browser has stored enough information somewhere to just log me in automatically every time I visit.

Later...

I've found 3 settings that hide things from Guests (ie viewers who are not logged in) - Signatures, Images and Avatars - they are all set to Off currently.

Roger

I don't (easily at least) see where the ability to view or not view signatures is controlled, but I also wonder why you browser anonymously - I never "Log Out" from the board and almost never log in, even after a computer restart my Safari browser has stored enough information somewhere to just log me in automatically every time I visit.

Roger

Roger,

I normally have a tab open to the forum all the time. I log in and out, since I did not want to have people think I was online when I was in fact not, but maybe that doesn't matter.

thewillistree

Ken

Thanks very much for you advice - in this case the simplest solution was the right one: removing the

<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript1.2" src="dddropdownpanel.js"></script>
in the genlib.php file did the trick! Thanks to all who provided suggestions! Paul
Paul, I see why I was not seeing your site link, which is in your signature block. If one is browsing the forum anonymously and then clicks reply the URL link that is in a signature block is never displayed. So I guess I may need to log in first before I decide to click the Reply which presents the login. You might try removing the following line

to see if whatever you added with that javascript conflicts with the TNG javascript used for the charts.

Roger,

I don't know whether there is any tweaking in the forum setup that can change this, and Gustave may have chosen to not return signature blocks to anonymous users.

I don't (easily at least) see where the ability to view or not view signatures is controlled, but I also wonder why you browse anonymously - I never "Log Out" from the board and almost never log in, even after a computer restart my Safari browser has stored enough information somewhere to just log me in automatically every time I visit.

Later...

I've found 3 settings that hide things from Guests (ie viewers who are not logged in) - Signatures, Images and Avatars - they are all set to Off currently.

Roger

Roger,

They probably need to continue to remain set to off. The kicker here is that when you login as part of hitting a Reply the Signatures are not displayed for that reply. They will show after you have replied to the specific post.

Ken

Thanks very much for you advice - in this case the simplest solution was the right one: removing the

in the genlib.php file did the trick!

Thanks to all who provided suggestions!

Paul

Paul,

What was the dddropdownpanel.js intended to provide? Based on your removing that javascript statement, it certainly appears that it has some conflicts with the TNG javascript used for the charts.