TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
aewold

Using TNG Logins to control access to MediaWiki

aewold

Everyone,

Is there any way to use TNG logins to control users allowed to use a MediaWiki site?

I am seriously thinking of starting up a business, and would love to use TNG to control who has access to the wiki and who does not.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks,

Andy

mathsinger

Everyone,

Is there any way to use TNG logins to control users allowed to use a MediaWiki site?

I am seriously thinking of starting up a business, and would love to use TNG to control who has access to the wiki and who does not.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks,

Andy

I have been thinking about doing this soon. Research I did earlier indicated that most, if not all, of the adjustment needed to be on the MediaWiki side. I think TNG provides hooks for letting other applications authenticate from it, and MediaWiki has mechanisms for authenticating from venues other than MW.

Susan

Jim Williamson

Any headway on this?

I'm currently putting together a testbed with TNG 8, MediaWiki and Wordpress...

All 3 are installed, and the TNG/MW piece is in place. Not tested yet...

I found a bit on integrating WP and MW, using BuddyPress and MW extensions.... I just need to work out how to pass the authentications back and forth correctly.

Ideally, I guess, I'd want the Wordpress to be the log in point, and pass the accounts to MediaWiki, which would pass them to TNG...

A successful run at this would give me just about everything I am looking for since I can plug just about anything else into Wordpress later.

Ivar

I have been thinking about doing this soon. Research I did earlier indicated that most, if not all, of the adjustment needed to be on the MediaWiki side. I think TNG provides hooks for letting other applications authenticate from it, and MediaWiki has mechanisms for authenticating from venues other than MW.

Susan

Hi

I'm also looking into this.

I'm new to TNG/MW, so I don't know TNGs file/db structure yet, but I'm thinking of the following approach:

- When a user registers to TNG, the user db in MW also gets seeded with basic user info needed.

- A method to transfer the user session from TNG to MW when forwarded to wiki pages.

Any thoughts on this?

As I said.. I'm not yet familiar on how TNG/MW handles user sessions, or how to approach this. Maybe theres a better way.

I know PHP/SQL.. so I'll see how much time I can spare to this project :)

Ivar