TNG Community
Martin J Mosley

Applying e107 theme to TNG

Martin J Mosley

I'm very much an amateur, but would like to fully integrate TNG within the e107 framework.

One of the most obvious problems at the moment is that the e107 theme does not reflect throughout the TNG pages on my site. I guess the long winded way of dealing with this would be to edit the CSS files in TNG to reflect those of the e107 theme.. However, it strikes me there should be a more 'automated' integration.

Does anyone know where to start? Maybe this could also extend to other aspects of the e107/TNG integration which today is beginning to show it's limitations.

How many of us use tngIL? Are any of you willing to help improve the integration?

Don't be shy, let's see what we can do.

Happy new year

Martin

My Webpage

svoght

You've precisely hit upon the problem with blending the e107 and TNG themes -- because it was designed to be a standalone web application, TNG makes a lot of default assumptions in its stylesheet that will override any e107 styles for things like background color, fonts, and the like.

The only obvious workaround is to do some manual editing to the genstyle.css file, removing the duplicated style data, which is what I did on my site. The downsides to this approach are that it requires you to manually edit the .css file, and it requires some ongoing maintenance as TNG updates are released. I'm not sure how the other CMS integration plugins handle this process -- whether they skip the TNG .css file entirely and rely on the CMS .css, or if they have the same problems you see with TNG styles clashing with CMS styles.

With regard to the e107-TNG integration, I've apparently become the de facto maintainer of the code. I'm in the process of creating a Mod Manager configuration file for tngIL, which should make it much easier to install and maintain during updates to e107 or TNG. I've got most of the framework done, and am currently testing it on my local server before writing up a proper how-to for the TNG wiki and releasing it to the public.

Likewise I'm developing a tngIL theme for e107 (similar to the theme I use on my site). Again this is in testing and I hope to have a final release of the theme before the end of the month.

With regard to tngIL itself, I'd like to hear if anyone has specific requests for added features. I'm re-working the TNG menu so that several pre-built custom menus will be included that you can add to your site to display random TNG photos, surname lists, and such. (Currently these are displayed through the use of manually-edited "menu codelets", which are a bit clunky and difficult to add.) If you have suggestions for further enhancements or improvements, let me know and I'll see what I can do!

-Steve

Martin J Mosley

Steve,

I'm currently playing with the TNG CSS files on my test site in order to manually make the TNG elements look as though they form a fully interated part of the e107 site. Wouldn't it be great to be able to control everything through the theme files we choose to apply to e107? I don't know whether this is even technically possible, but with some help I'd like to try and find a way of doing it.

I've also been following the progress of the work to create a new Joomla bridge, which looks to be achieving something very exciting in that they seem to have fully interated the two. Maybe there are some similarities we could learn from?

Personally I would like to be able to access my TNG admin functions from within the e107 admin area, as with the widgets which control many of the site features.

I'd also like to be able to use my tng media files in the e107 galleries which populate the history or forum pages of my site. (As things stand, I need to upload these files twice if I wish to use them both inside and outside TNG)

A Gendex search function for e107 would also give visitors the ability to search many more database entries than my own.

These are just a couple of things on my 'wish list' and like you, I'd like to hear if others would like to take things to the next level, and if so where?

Providing you understand my limitations, I'd be happy to work with you and anyone else to try and achieve improvements which reflect the first class nature of both TNG and e107.

Regards

Martin

My Webpage

As I said in my first post, I am very much an amateur who has learned on the fly, largely as the result of help from you and others here on these forums

svoght

No other e107 users out there?

Martin

My Webpage

I know there were at least three or four other active forum users who had TNG-e107 sites, but apparently they're either busy in real life (or doing actual genealogy research!) or they've moved on to other solutions.

Those are some interesting ideas about potential future advancements of the tngIL interface. I hadn't even thought about doing any of those, but most of them seem like they would be feasible, although I don't know how much work each would require to implement. I especially like the idea of including some cross-linkage between the two administrative interfaces, and integrating the TNG media within the e107 portion of the site.

I'm also personally interested in making the setup process more automated (for instance, having the tngIL setup page automatically add the additional e107 user classes), and like you mention finding a good method to integrate the e107 and TNG search functions to simplify the front page for visitors. There's also a frustrating limitation of page titles (via <TITLE>) within the integrated portion of the site. The current solution uses a JavaScript function to replace the page title after loading, and while it works fine for end users it doesn't work for Google indexing, so every single page on the site is indexed with the same title. That's something else I'd like to look at in more detail to see if I can improve, although it's a far lower priority than some of the other things.

Here is my current TNG css file, which you can take a look at to see how much I've stripped out of it to make it integrate more cleanly with the e107. Feel free to use it as-is, or to modify it however you'd like.

genstyle.css

Martin J Mosley

You may well be right that our e107 colleagues have got a 'real' life or are busy doing what we all set out to do with this hobby of ours.

I just wonder how many active users there are, and whether they have any interest in moving the tngIL forward.

If it is just you and I, then we have to decide the benefits and the investment of time which we consider worthwhile. If there are others interested, we may find other priorities and also others able to help.

Your objectives are also ones I share, and I can no doubt add more to the 'wish list' if I go back through the comments of some of my users.

I'll have a look at your css file and no doubt play around with it. I've just spent a day snowed in and working on my test site css files so once I've got it cleaned up I'll post the tng.css here.

As I've said before, I'm a rank amateur, but I have learned much from you and others and now I'd like to start and give something back, so if I can help please let me know.

Martin

My Webpage

Jpaprocki

I'm currently messing with e107 and the Joomla integration. Trying to decide which one I want to use. I'm much more comfortable with e107, but like what is being done with the joomla - TNG integration. It's going to come down to what I can do with the themes, since they both do what I need.

I can't find a e107 theme that is close to what I want (joomla had one so that made it easy). I have seen some great sites done with e107, but I don't have the knowlege or time needed to modify themes to get what I want.

I actually had a site several years ago with e107, but was done with e107 in a wrapper. Then flint created the integration. I messed with it, but could never get it to look the way I wanted. Gave up and then work and health issues got in the way and I closed the site. Trying to get another one going again.

I haven't given up on e107 yet.

svoght

I'm currently messing with e107 and the Joomla integration. Trying to decide which one I want to use. I'm much more comfortable with e107, but like what is being done with the joomla - TNG integration. It's going to come down to what I can do with the themes, since they both do what I need.

I can't find a e107 theme that is close to what I want (joomla had one so that made it easy). I have seen some great sites done with e107, but I don't have the knowlege or time needed to modify themes to get what I want.

I actually had a site several years ago with e107, but was done with e107 in a wrapper. Then flint created the integration. I messed with it, but could never get it to look the way I wanted. Gave up and then work and health issues got in the way and I closed the site. Trying to get another one going again.

I haven't given up on e107 yet.

Here's a generic theme I whipped up that provides a pretty good thematic integration between TNG and e107. It's based off of my personal site theme. I've tested it in Firefox 3.5, but haven't done too much with it beyond that. Consider it beta, but since it's just a style theme there aren't any concerns about it damaging your site. Let me know if you run into any weird style or rendering issues (and specify the browser you're using!) and I'll try to fix them.

tngil.zip

As denoted by their folder names within the ZIP file, put the 'tngil' folder into the e107_themes folder, and put the two tab files and CSS file into your TNG directory (presumably e107_plugins/tngIL), replacing the default tngtab.png, tngtabactive.png and genstyle.css files (in case you want to revert the changes, you should probably rename the originals to .BAK or something similar.)

Regardless of interest level, I'm going to work on a tngIL version 2.0 release, because I think the current tngIL situation is something of a momentum issue, where people are concerned about the challenges required to install the current version, and having something more updated and easy to use might attract a larger install base. After that's done we can assess the future path of the plugin.

Martin J Mosley

I understand the frustrations when you see the new Joomla integration, which is a huge leap forward. However, for me e107 is much better adapted to TNG (though each has their own priorities)

Steve is interested in improving tngIL, and I see a future version as the basis of a 'widget' providing a seamless integration with e107 which is in itself about to be updated. I have already posted some of my ideas for priorities and I am working on some changes to the tng.css file firstly to adapt to my own theme, but also with a view to directly calling the theme css.

I'm delighted that Steve is taking a lead in working on new versions of the integration, and would like firstly to thank him publicly and secondly to offer whatever help and support I can.

Martin

My Webpage

Jpaprocki

Here's a generic theme I whipped up that provides a pretty good thematic integration between TNG and e107. It's based off of my personal site theme. I've tested it in Firefox 3.5, but haven't done too much with it beyond that. Consider it beta, but since it's just a style theme there aren't any concerns about it damaging your site. Let me know if you run into any weird style or rendering issues (and specify the browser you're using!) and I'll try to fix them.

tngil.zip

As denoted by their folder names within the ZIP file, put the 'tngil' folder into the e107_themes folder, and put the two tab files and CSS file into your TNG directory (presumably e107_plugins/tngIL), replacing the default tngtab.png, tngtabactive.png and genstyle.css files (in case you want to revert the changes, you should probably rename the originals to .BAK or something similar.)

Regardless of interest level, I'm going to work on a tngIL version 2.0 release, because I think the current tngIL situation is something of a momentum issue, where people are concerned about the challenges required to install the current version, and having something more updated and easy to use might attract a larger install base. After that's done we can assess the future path of the plugin.

Thank you very much. I will give it a try. Looked at your site and I must say it's very well done. I usually try and fix things myself (how I learn), but if I can't figure it out I will post here.

Although I don't have much experience in these things, I would also be happy in helping test or whatever.

Thanks again.

Jpaprocki

Got it uploaded and it look great, Thank you. There is one problem that I can't solve though. On the left colum where the serach box is at, it says "LAN_THEME_6" instead of "Search news posts". I checked the theme.php and english.php for the theme, but can't find why it's not pulling the correct title. It's probably something obvious, but not for me..lol

You can see it here.

I may change the graphics up top to show some of my genealogy pics and so forth, but the rest if perfect. Thanks again for posting that.

One more thing :oops: , how did you get the random photo, top 20 surnames, and "Today in family history" on the front? Did you use the 3 column layout and some mods?

Thanks again.

JackM375

Got it uploaded and it look great, Thank you. There is one problem that I can't solve though. On the left colum where the serach box is at, it says "LAN_THEME_6" instead of "Search news posts". I checked the theme.php and english.php for the theme, but can't find why it's not pulling the correct title. It's probably something obvious, but not for me..lol

You can see it here.

I may change the graphics up top to show some of my genealogy pics and so forth, but the rest if perfect. Thanks again for posting that.

One more thing :oops: , how did you get the random photo, top 20 surnames, and "Today in family history" on the front? Did you use the 3 column layout and some mods?

Thanks again.

Find this line:

<div class='caption'>LAN_THEME_6</div><form method='get' action='/search.php'>

And where it has LAN_THEME_6 change to Search and see if that works.

It may be in your news.php file after: <!-- end Site Links -->

Your site looks great so far.

Jack

Jpaprocki

That is located in the theme.php file and I tried that, but it returned a syntax error when I did that. Messed with it a bit more and just can't get it to show correctly. I checked some other themes to see how things were called and it looks right to me :?:

svoght

You can see it here.

Thanks again.

Ahh! I figured there might be a few small bugs :)

'LAN_THEME_6' is defined in the theme's 'languages/English.php' file, but I just noticed that within the theme.php file I have the folder name spelled 'tngIL' instead of 'tngil', and on *nix servers that points to a different location!

You should be able to fix that bug by editing 'theme.php', and on lines 21 and 22 (the two directly following '// [multilanguage]') change 'tngIL' to 'tngil' (all lower case) and see if that fixes it.

With regard to the three side menus on my site (Top 20, random photo and today in history), those are new e107 menus that I'm building as part of the tngIL version 2.0 release. I'll have versions of them ready for testing soon, and hopefully there will be a few additional menus available such as GENDEX search.

-Steve

PS - If you wanted to remove 'LAN_THEME_6' entirely and have the English text hard-coded onto the page, you will need to change the code as follows:

Current:

<div class='caption'>".LAN_THEME_6."</div>
New:
<div class='caption'>Search news posts</div>

Notice that the quotation marks and periods also need to be removed.

Jpaprocki

That did the trick! Thanks again for your help and the theme. It looks great and displays just fine in IE 8 and the latest FF version.

I have a mirror copy of my site setup elsewhere for testing purposes so if you need anyone to help test things, just give a shout and I would be more than happy to help.

Is is just me or do these forums seem to insert line breaks whenever a post is submitted?

nimebe

I posted in another thread that I'm interested in helping with tngIL. It will take me few days to get back up to speed as I haven't looked at the code of TNG or tngIL for sometime. Let me know how I can help.