TNG Community
John Paul

error creating menu

John Paul

When creating the menu for the Today in History menu, I get the following error:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /e107_admin/cpage.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

tech support at simply hosting says all my permissions are correct and that its some sort of script error. I have it working on my localhost server no problem. any ideas on what to look for? some setting in php on my host's server maybe?

btw, I was able to create the top surnames menu with no problem...

thanks.

or should i just use the old tngIL_events_menu?

svoght

Hmmm, that's a good question. I haven't tested creating a menu with the newest version of e107 so it's possible that this is a new bug introduced with version 0.7.16, but I suspect you're correct in guessing it's some weird permissions or script error on the server... unfortunately I couldn't begin to guess the origin.

Since you said you were able to create the surnames menu without issues, that implies that the fundamental menu-creation process is okay and that it's either a bug in the today-in-history code or something wrong with creating a second menu in general.

I would first try creating a generic second menu (maybe something that just displays the text "Hello world!") and see if you have the same problem with cpage.php. If that works it could be a bit of annoying debug time, although I'll also check the codelet on my end and see if there are any weird quirks.

John Paul

Hmmm, that's a good question. I haven't tested creating a menu with the newest version of e107 so it's possible that this is a new bug introduced with version 0.7.16, but I suspect you're correct in guessing it's some weird permissions or script error on the server... unfortunately I couldn't begin to guess the origin.

Since you said you were able to create the surnames menu without issues, that implies that the fundamental menu-creation process is okay and that it's either a bug in the today-in-history code or something wrong with creating a second menu in general.

I would first try creating a generic second menu (maybe something that just displays the text "Hello world!") and see if you have the same problem with cpage.php. If that works it could be a bit of annoying debug time, although I'll also check the codelet on my end and see if there are any weird quirks.

actually i got that error a couple of weeks back when i was first setting the site up at Simply hosting and it was 0.7.15, so i doubt it's a bug in e107. I'll test a simple menu creation and see what happens and post back.

Thanks.

btw, where is everyone around here? I guess everyone is probably busy with life in general. I know how that goes though.

John Paul

It appears I figured it out. It seems to have something to do with mod_security. After doing some searching on e107's forums, I tried this:

I edited the e107.htaccess file and added the following:

<IfModule mod_security.c>
    SecFilterEngine Off
    SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>

then renamed e107.htaccess to .htaccess, tried creating the menu again and it worked.

John Paul

Speaking of menus, Steve, I'm trying to use your random photo code, but if you check out my site, you'll see it's not quite working for me. It's not showing a photo, but just the title to the photo and showing that twice. any idea on what i need to edit in the code to fix it? I'd like to try the random photo over the scrolling random phots if at all possible.

again thank for your help.

svoght

Speaking of menus, Steve, I'm trying to use your random photo code, but if you check out my site, you'll see it's not quite working for me. It's not showing a photo, but just the title to the photo and showing that twice. any idea on what i need to edit in the code to fix it? I'd like to try the random photo over the scrolling random phots if at all possible.

again thank for your help.

Looks like your randomphoto.php script is seeking the images in the wrong location. Looking just now it was trying to find an image at "http://joneshyman.org/photos/zikorus.jpg" instead of "http://joneshyman.org/e107_plugins/tngIL/photos/zikorus.jpg".

Did you use the modified randomphoto.php script that takes the added path into account? I think that was discussed in a separate thread.

Looking around in my files, I see that for whatever reason I didn't include it with the rest of the codelets in the e107 code package, so that could be why it's not working! Guess I should clean all of that up at some point, along with making the e107 code work with the new Mod Manager.

Anyway, here's a copy of the proper randomphoto code -- just drop it into your tngIL folder and overwrite the current file.

randomphoto.php

Cheers!

John Paul

Looks like your randomphoto.php script is seeking the images in the wrong location. Looking just now it was trying to find an image at "http://joneshyman.org/photos/zikorus.jpg" instead of "http://joneshyman.org/e107_plugins/tngIL/photos/zikorus.jpg".

Did you use the modified randomphoto.php script that takes the added path into account? I think that was discussed in a separate thread.

Looking around in my files, I see that for whatever reason I didn't include it with the rest of the codelets in the e107 code package, so that could be why it's not working! Guess I should clean all of that up at some point, along with making the e107 code work with the new Mod Manager.

Anyway, here's a copy of the proper randomphoto code -- just drop it into your tngIL folder and overwrite the current file.

randomphoto.php

Cheers!

thanks a mil. I didn't even notice the path it was trying to load from. i'll try to pay more attention in the future. again thanks!