TNG Community
John Paul

family member submit form

John Paul

I've been browsing the user sites at lythgoes.net and noticed a few sites have php pages for family to submit info for inclusion into the database. one example is http://www.purvisfamilytree.com/feature5.php and another i liked is http://www.genealogy.rocksea.org/genealogyform.php. would these be generic forms for tng or are these forms written by the site owner? I find it would be an interesting addition to anyone's tng site...

svoght

I've been browsing the user sites at lythgoes.net and noticed a few sites have php pages for family to submit info for inclusion into the database. one example is http://www.purvisfamilytree.com/feature5.php and another i liked is http://www.genealogy.rocksea.org/genealogyform.php. would these be generic forms for tng or are these forms written by the site owner? I find it would be an interesting addition to anyone's tng site...

Judging by the file names ("feature5" and "genealogyform") I'm guessing these are either custom-written by the site owners, or some third-party script. It should be fairly straight-forward to create (or adapt) a form by using the phpmail() function to send the data to the site owner, although you might run into spambot issues unless you include a captcha of some sort.

If someone is reading this and has already created a solution I'd also be interested in hearing what they're using, otherwise it's certainly something worth adding to the never-ending to-do list :)

BobA

I vote for an integrated and professional looking version. I have tried two methods to accomplish this, one was with a borrowed php script that I modified heavily to what I needed, but didn't like the security with this approach and felt it could get hacked easily. Other than testing it, I decided to not use it....with the 4 mailing scripts and all the variables, I felt overwhelmed and didn't want to break anything by messing with the mailing section of TNG.

Since I own Adobe 9, I then decided to created a fully compliant Adobe form that the user downloads and then submits to the site. It has a mailer script that sends it to my admin email address. Once received I can then import the return into a normal form on my computer and copy/paste or just transcribe the information into TNG. The return on the form from the user is like a CSV file, so it is tiny....I don't like this method either as it is too intensive on everyone's part with uploads/downloads....it would be nice to see this as part of the program, and actually I would like to have it as part of the requesting an account process (maybe a switch controlling this option?).

That's my 2 cents....let me know if I can help at all....I may still have my old php form if it's needed. I can also send someone the adobe form (though it is hard coded to my admin email address) if they want to see how that looks.....

bsl20b50

I like the ideas presented here and would also like to see something like this built into TNG.

BobA, I appreciate your 2 cents. I have Adobe 8 (hopefully it's not too different) and I would like to see your pdf and php files. Could you send me a PM with those files? Perhaps I can stew over it a little and see what I can come up with.

Something I think that would compliment this feature well would be an option for a newly registered individual to link their user profile semi-automatically to themselves as a database individual upon their first log-in. Here's how I picture it working. New user is given living access. Upon their first login, TNG searches the individuals database (based on first and last name) and finds potential matches. The user clicks a box next to their own name (i.e. "This is me"), then "OK". The user is subsequently matched to themself in the database. Again - something to add to the never-ending to-do list.

BobA

I like the ideas presented here and would also like to see something like this built into TNG.

BobA, I appreciate your 2 cents. I have Adobe 8 (hopefully it's not too different) and I would like to see your pdf and php files. Could you send me a PM with those files? Perhaps I can stew over it a little and see what I can come up with.

Something I think that would compliment this feature well would be an option for a newly registered individual to link their user profile semi-automatically to themselves as a database individual upon their first log-in. Here's how I picture it working. New user is given living access. Upon their first login, TNG searches the individuals database (based on first and last name) and finds potential matches. The user clicks a box next to their own name (i.e. "This is me"), then "OK". The user is subsequently matched to themself in the database. Again - something to add to the never-ending to-do list.

Brian,

I'll send tonight....it's a bear to deal with though! LOL....

bsl20b50

BobA,

Thanks for sending that. It looks like a good form. I think I will make some edits to fit my needs and use it myself. I changed the coding for the Adobe form to use my own admin email and tested it. It worked like a charm (Although I would use fewer required fields - many women do not have a middle name and so could get stuck).

By the way, I tried to see it in action on your site, but couldn't because I'm not registered on your site. However, I was able to access the form using the URL generated by your php script. I'm not sure why this is more secure than hosting the PDF form on your own site (perhaps with a URL that would be tough to guess). By hosting it on your own site, the user does not need to download and save the form; they can just open it in their browser and submit it from there.

Great Work!

BobA

BobA,

Thanks for sending that. It looks like a good form. I think I will make some edits to fit my needs and use it myself. I changed the coding for the Adobe form to use my own admin email and tested it. It worked like a charm (Although I would use fewer required fields - many women do not have a middle name and so could get stuck).

By the way, I tried to see it in action on your site, but couldn't because I'm not registered on your site. However, I was able to access the form using the URL generated by your php script. I'm not sure why this is more secure than hosting the PDF form on your own site (perhaps with a URL that would be tough to guess). By hosting it on your own site, the user does not need to download and save the form; they can just open it in their browser and submit it from there.

Great Work!

Bryan,

Glad you liked it! It was quite a project.....I was trying to use the full toolset of Adobe, and the way their convoluted system worked, the document and the replies would be handled by their site (routing of document, etc.). I would only have to receive the xml reply from their site and then just "merge" the reply into the basic form on my end....that would give me a carbon copy of what they filled out.

It would be infinately easier to host it local! I wasn't aware that I had the option though! LOL...call it Adobe fatigue. The toolsets are rather dense to work with, and the instructions are a bear.....

I'm glad you were able to use the pointer, I guess that was the reason that the actual file would have been handy...I did add the security part in front of php file so that a user had to be logged in to use it (as another security precaution). I would rather have it as part of their registration process. I get too many looky-loos that don't contribute a thing that obviously know things about their parts of the family. It would be nice to make this form a real .php file (not a .pdf), and to require it as part of the registration process....also noted on the required fields...thanks!

Did you make any headway with the .php version of the Family Group Sheet?

Thanks,

/BobA

bsl20b50

Bryan,

Glad you liked it! It was quite a project.....I was trying to use the full toolset of Adobe, and the way their convoluted system worked, the document and the replies would be handled by their site (routing of document, etc.). I would only have to receive the xml reply from their site and then just "merge" the reply into the basic form on my end....that would give me a carbon copy of what they filled out.

It would be infinately easier to host it local! I wasn't aware that I had the option though! LOL...call it Adobe fatigue. The toolsets are rather dense to work with, and the instructions are a bear.....

I'm glad you were able to use the pointer, I guess that was the reason that the actual file would have been handy...I did add the security part in front of php file so that a user had to be logged in to use it (as another security precaution). I would rather have it as part of their registration process. I get too many looky-loos that don't contribute a thing that obviously know things about their parts of the family. It would be nice to make this form a real .php file (not a .pdf), and to require it as part of the registration process....also noted on the required fields...thanks!

Did you make any headway with the .php version of the Family Group Sheet?

Thanks,

/BobA

BobA,

I tried uploading the .php version of the Family Group Sheet, and I just get a 404 error if I try to go to it. I am still pretty weak when it comes to php code, so I was not able to tell what the problem was. I did check permissions and that was not the issue. Any thoughts?

I have also been fiddling with the Adobe form some more. I found a way to have the form submitted directly to me (via email), and placed in a directory of submitted forms all filled out and in PDF format. I also figured out that Adobe can auto-detect fields from other documents to turn into an adobe form. When I have everything the way I want it, I want to put the form on my website with a captcha protecting access to the basic form, then a second form with room for LDS data that can only be accessed by registered users with LDS permissions.

If you are interested, I could send you what I come up with when I am done.

I am still trying to figure out a way to soft-code the return, but that may have to wait.

BobA

BobA,

I tried uploading the .php version of the Family Group Sheet, and I just get a 404 error if I try to go to it. I am still pretty weak when it comes to php code, so I was not able to tell what the problem was. I did check permissions and that was not the issue. Any thoughts?

I have also been fiddling with the Adobe form some more. I found a way to have the form submitted directly to me (via email), and placed in a directory of submitted forms all filled out and in PDF format. I also figured out that Adobe can auto-detect fields from other documents to turn into an adobe form. When I have everything the way I want it, I want to put the form on my website with a captcha protecting access to the basic form, then a second form with room for LDS data that can only be accessed by registered users with LDS permissions.

If you are interested, I could send you what I come up with when I am done.

I am still trying to figure out a way to soft-code the return, but that may have to wait.

Bryan,

Looks like you solved the 404 issue. I initially tried to use safari and it killed my session, but IE8 worked great. I like how you peeled the front page off of the form and simplified the return button. At least that is logical as to where I have it. I like the idea of the form being returned to a specific directory all filled out vs. XML and the tedious "blending" ritual to get the submitted form back usable.

Glad to see that everything is coming along fine.....

My only idea about the different LDS form is to do a check to see if the user is currently logged in by using "include($cms[tngpath] ."checklogin.php");" like many of the scripts currently do to see if the user is logged in. If so, you can show them a secondary form that has the LDS info...if not, just serve them what you have currently.

Hope that helps.....

/BobA