TNG Community

Information saved but connection failed.

dougcouch

First time setup on hosted server. When entering Username and Password, Save and Verify, I get the following message: "Information saved but connection failed."

The 6 instructions on why and how don't make much sense to me...sorry. I can check things on the server via Dreamweaver or other, and by the control panel at godaddy.com (hosting service)...but I don't really understand what to check.

Thanks, Doug - couchdouglas@aol.com

First time setup on hosted server. When entering Username and Password, Save and Verify, I get the following message: "Information saved but connection failed."

The 6 instructions on why and how don't make much sense to me...sorry. I can check things on the server via Dreamweaver or other, and by the control panel at godaddy.com (hosting service)...but I don't really understand what to check.

Doug,

Take a look at the TNG Wiki article Setup - Database It has examples of where the information is on ICDSoft and Simply Hosting using their control panels. Maybe some day some one will add examples for other hosting services.

Doug,

Also, be careful if using Dreamweaver. Editting some TNG files in Dreamweaver can break them. Personally I always edit TNG files with a text editor.

TomK

Thanks for the heads up Tom. I hope someone has a direction to go with my original inquiry.

Doug,

Did you look at the articles I referred to in Post #2 above ?

If you can get to a Control Panel on GoDaddy, they should have something similar to support MySQL Databases.

Doug,

Did you look at the articles I referred to in Post #2 above ?

If you can get to a Control Panel on GoDaddy, they should have something similar to support MySQL Databases.

Ken,

Your link is broke...

Doug,

Here is the valid link Setup-Database This will give you some ideas as to what items you need to make a database connection. The problem is no one can provide the info since it is unique to each host and account.

A few things have to be asked since you haven't mentioned them:

1. Did you create a database on your host? Did you log into the Control Panel and then log into Phpmyadmin and create a database.

2. Have you gone to your site and then the Admin page, then Setup and then Diagnostics tab and do you have all green lights for those items? If you have a red light on the Mysql server, then you are stuck until godaddy makes the server active for your account.

Give this a try.

Scotty

Actually, I received one email regarding my inquiry, and responded to that. The other posts I never received, and just read them now. I have not visited the Wiki yet. As to the questions regarding the control panel and green light...yes, partly, and no.

Went to the control panel and created a database. Beyond that it is all rather foggy. Don't have a clue what green lights you're referring to. Did call godaddy.com and discussed it briefly with their tech guy. He indicated I just needed to create the php.ini file (a fact the instructions somehow managed to leave out), and place it in the root directory, with the lines/syntax specified (two lines re uploads and error handling or some such). He said nothing else was needed, and the control panel for the database was for creating simple flat databases. Not sure he knew what he was talking about.

Surely, one would think others have setup databases using godaddy.com as host. But it is what it is. I haven't done anything in php, but do very basic web sites frequently. So, if someone has the time and inclination to talk to me in real step by step terms, that tell you exactly what to do instead of generalizing with assumption that I know how to get around in TNG screens, or whatever...that would be excellent.

I thought the server-side readme.html routines were great. However, the so-called steps and explanations along with them were less than optimal. So, if anything goes wrong, I get referred by link to Sun's php developers site as though I would know what to look for once there.

I found it encouraging (on one hand) that a book on setting up TNG is coming out this month...Jan 09. I found this encouragement fraught with mixed feelings to purchase a book that costs more than the software, only to then discover it is also in Geek...the age old thing of programmers writing manuals that their colleages would rave about how thorough they were, despite the fact they were unintelligible to the layman or novice. I don't mind getting the book; in fact, I prefer to have it for reference. But more clear instructions would really have been nice...then the book to enhance that starting point. Seems to me anyone buying the program and following some simple setup instructions should end up with a basic working database. I have a 2-year degree in computer science and 20 years playing around in programming...but that doesn't automatically make me understand modern Geek.

Having put forth the basic whining...I will go check out the Wiki. Thanks to whoever put it there. I figure all these things will be worked out in time. If I knew how, it would take maybe 30 minutes tops. For now TNG is not communicating with my database...and there is no database loaded into TNG. I'm really glad this software is available, as I am setting up several online things to collaborate across the country on our family tree, but also to bring the various branches of the family closer together for the living folks. :???:

===

Found the diagnosic tab green lights (and had been there before but forgot). All green except one: MyServer is red. I believe the tech guy said 4.0 was setup; however, I think they have 5.0 also.

Doug Couch - couchdouglas@aol.com

Brief update. Control panel...deleted 4.1 database and created 5.0 database. UTF-8 set (utf_general_ci). TNG installation still does not make the database connection when saving. Have tried localhost as "localhost" and with the hostname as given on the site with and without a leading slash...same result.

Tried to make sense out of the phpMyAdmin and the Wiki with no success.

=====

Kept inventing new ways to syntax the hostname, and finally one worked. Now on to other things (I hope).

Doug

Brief update. Control panel...deleted 4.1 database and created 5.0 database. UTF-8 set (utf_general_ci). TNG installation still does not make the database connection when saving. Have tried localhost as "localhost" and with the hostname as given on the site with and without a leading slash...same result.

Tried to make sense out of the phpMyAdmin and the Wiki with no success.

=====

Kept inventing new ways to syntax the hostname, and finally one worked. Now on to other things (I hope).

Doug

Doug,

Can you post what syntax worked for hostname? That might help others on GoDaddy in the future, as to whether they need to provide a socket and / or a port number for connection.

Glad to finally go connected.

This is what I have for the "Server" name on a TNG site I have on GoDaddy.com

mysql247.secureserver.net

I guess the 247 part of it might change for different users.

Roger

Listed as hostname, the following by itself: p50mysql89.secureserver.net

p50 identifies it as a php 5.0 database, and the rest is unique I believe. The one for the first database (a php 4.1 database) started with p41.

Listed as hostname, the following by itself: p50mysql89.secureserver.net

p50 identifies it as a php 5.0 database, and the rest is unique I believe. The one for the first database (a php 4.1 database) started with p41.

Thanks Doug,

Does this show in a particular place on GoDaddy's control panel, so I or someone else could update the TNG Wiki article Setup - Database which currently shows an ICDSoft and a Simply Hosting example.

Thanks Doug,

Does this show in a particular place on GoDaddy's control panel, so I or someone else could update the TNG Wiki article Setup - Database which currently shows an ICDSoft and a Simply Hosting example.

Ken,

Found this web page Creating a Mysql database on Godaddy

Found this in their FAQ. Mysql connection string with PHP-Mysql. so it appears "secureserver.net" is the common denominator for the hostname.

I tried to find some info on cpanel and shared hosting. But all they mentioned was dedicated or virtual hosting. So, I don't know if shared hosting has access to a cpanel.

Scotty

Creating a database on GoDaddy.COM (required for using TNG):

• LOGIN on your account at godaddy.com
  • On "Hosting" drop-down list, select/goto "My Hosting Account"
  • Click "Manage Account" link to go to Control Panel
  • On "Databases" drop-down list, select "MySQL"
  • Click "Create Database" button and enter 1)description, 2)MySQL Database/User Name, 3)password, 4)confirm password, AND select radio button for php version (defaults to 4.1), click OK to create database
  • Arriving back on previous screen with database(s) listed, click the "Edit" icon to view details needed for TNG.

• You can ignore the Open Manager link and/or button, as you will not typically need to set anything there. Encoding defaults to UTF-8.

The following recap is for your information only (FYI):

General (MySQL) Manager contents/functions:

Settings for encoding, interface (language, theme, color-reset, font size), MySQL info (server, server version, protocol version, user, MySQL character set), phpMyAdmin info links, various tabbed views and settings (should not be changed...not much there until you import your GEDCOM through the TNG Admin Import GEDCOM function...do not import it here) on database(s) structure, SQL, variables, processes, export and import, operations.

Note re export: Multiple formats and parameters are available for exporting the database in other than GEDCOM formats, such as Excel, CSV, etc.

Ken,

Found this web page Creating a Mysql database on Godaddy

Found this in their FAQ. Mysql connection string with PHP-Mysql. so it appears "secureserver.net" is the common denominator for the hostname.

I tried to find some info on cpanel and shared hosting. But all they mentioned was dedicated or virtual hosting. So, I don't know if shared hosting has access to a cpanel.

Scotty

Thanks Scotty,

I have updated the TNG Wiki Database - Creating and Setup - Database article to add those links to GoDaddy.

In an earlier post to this thread, I mentioned my creating a php.ini file, as it appeared none were part of the file set of TNG. I placed that in the root directory (outside my "genealogy" folder). Now that TNG is up and running, I would like to know if that file creation and placement was needed or not? If it wasn't, I will remove it. If it was, it should be added to the instructions, as the current instructions (readme.html) only talk about editing an existing file to include two lines.

Thanks, Doug

couchdouglas@aol.com

Creating a database on GoDaddy.COM (required for using TNG):

• LOGIN on your account at godaddy.com
  • On "Hosting" drop-down list, select/goto "My Hosting Account"
  • Click "Manage Account" link to go to Control Panel
  • On "Databases" drop-down list, select "MySQL"
  • Click "Create Database" button and enter 1)description, 2)MySQL Database/User Name, 3)password, 4)confirm password, AND select radio button for php version (defaults to 4.1), click OK to create database
  • Arriving back on previous screen with database(s) listed, click the "Edit" icon to view details needed for TNG.

• You can ignore the Open Manager link and/or button, as you will not typically need to set anything there. Encoding defaults to UTF-8.

The following recap is for your information only (FYI):

General (MySQL) Manager contents/functions:

Settings for encoding, interface (language, theme, color-reset, font size), MySQL info (server, server version, protocol version, user, MySQL character set), phpMyAdmin info links, various tabbed views and settings (should not be changed...not much there until you import your GEDCOM through the TNG Admin Import GEDCOM function...do not import it here) on database(s) structure, SQL, variables, processes, export and import, operations.

Note re export: Multiple formats and parameters are available for exporting the database in other than GEDCOM formats, such as Excel, CSV, etc.

Thanks Doug,

I have updated the TNG WIki article on Database - Creating with your info.

Don't forget to setup TNG to use UTF-8 as well. See the articles on TNG Charset

Yes, I got introduced to UTF-8 in the process of doing one of my web sites which required some text in Russian. Seems things are headed toward that becoming the standard.

• 6 years later...

I also have the same error "Information saved but connection failed".  I am on a hosted server with several of my sites but TNG V.10 is the only one that won't connect to server errors.  I can install ver.9x and it connects to the server but ver.10 gives me the error.  The database login is valid because it works with 9x.

Anyone have a true fix for this problem?

Edited by Mike Ireson