TNG Community

TNG Joomla Bridge for Joomla 1.5.x and TNG 7.x

reverendspam

reverendspam

This component is no longer supported. We have moved to

CMSGenealogy

tngjoomla7.1.5b.zip

This component follows the previous format of the bridges I have released.

You can find detailed install instructions on the TNG Wiki.

If you are upgrading from one of the older bridges, make sure you read the section in the wiki on upgrading or you will get a duplicate id error.

See my site in action here.

Quick Install:

1) You must have TNG 7.x working first and placed in its own directory within in your Joomla directory. ex- /myjoomladirectory/tng/. (You can place this outside of your Joomla directory if need be, but you will need to know the server absolute path for the config setting).

2) Unzip the attached tngjoomla7.1.5.zip file.

3) Place the index_joomla.php file (found in the unzipped TNG folder) in the root of your TNG directory.

4) Install com_tng.zip into Joomla as you would any other Joomla component.

5) After install go to Components --> TNG Genealogy --> edit config menu and make sure the configuration is correct (save).

Note: make sure your config.tng.php file is "writable" You should get a warning on the Joomla admin end if it is not.

The config.tng.php file is automatically set up as:

url = /tng (assuming tng is the sub directory in your main joomla directory. You can name it whatever you want)

joomla prefix = jos_ (the standard mysql default prefix for Joomla)

tng prefix = tng_ (the standard mysql default prefix for TNG)

IF you have problem with this just edit the file to fit your needs.

What's new in this bridge?

1. TNG-Joomla Bridge is now Native for Joomla 1.5

2. Cleaned up some of the code and a few bugs.

3. Updated code to comply with php 5.x Joomla 1.5.x

4. Joomla User level now imports into TNG users under "description"

5. Joomla email now imports into TNG users

6. Joomla "real name" now imports into TNG users

7. TNG user id is synchronized and the same as Joomla user id

8. Last login is synched from Joomla to TNG users

9. If user or joomla admin changes user information in Joomla it also changes/updates in the TNG database.

10. Built in function to check if TNG Joomla Bridge configuration file is writable.

Note: This is not the bridge that is currently being developed that embeds TNG into Joomla.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• reverendspam

• tomk

• Meleman

• Michael L. Thomas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Joe,

I feel fairly confident in saying ... on behalf of MANY people here...

THANKS for all your work on this subject!!

Happy New Year.... health and safety to you and all your family for 2009.

Chris(topher)

Hey Joe,

First thank you for your hard work on this Joomla component.

I gave it try and just wanted to report some of the issues I encountered.

Joomla 1.5.8

TNG 7.0.2

PHP version 5.2.6

1. Was unable to change the path /tng setting in the Joomla backend edit config section. I had to manually edit the config.tng.php file.

2. When I logout of Joomla and click on the menu item to TNG link I get the following errors:

Warning: include(JPATH_SITEDSDSgetlang.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/andresf/public_html/genealogy/index_joomla.php on line 26

Warning: include(JPATH_SITEDSDSgetlang.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/andresf/public_html/genealogy/index_joomla.php on line 26

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'JPATH_SITEDSDSgetlang.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/andresf/public_html/genealogy/index_joomla.php on line 26

Warning: include(JPATH_SITEDSDSgenlib.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/andresf/public_html/genealogy/index_joomla.php on line 27

Warning: include(JPATH_SITEDSDSgenlib.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/andresf/public_html/genealogy/index_joomla.php on line 27

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'JPATH_SITEDSDSgenlib.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/andresf/public_html/genealogy/index_joomla.php on line 27

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/andresf/public_html/genealogy/index_joomla.php:26) in /home/andresf/public_html/genealogy/index_joomla.php on line 42

3. When I logout via TNG side ... it does not log me out of Joomla side.

Hi,

Just curious...what server and platform are you using...Windows or Linux or Mac?

1) make sure your config.tng.php file permissions is "writable" Did you get a warning on the admin side of Joomla stating this file was not writable?

2) I've updated. Download and try to reinstall again and that should take care of the php warnings. Let me know if it broke something else :)

3) It's only a one way bridge with this component -- Joomla --> TNG . This is known and been discussed before. Look on the boards here for a fix that involves editing a joomla file. I'm not sure which thread... Sorry. (If we can ever work out the javascript bugs on the new bridge that SAS has been working on this will be taken care of.)

thanks,

-joe

Hey Joe,

First thank you for your hard work on this Joomla component.

I gave it try and just wanted to report some of the issues I encountered.

Joomla 1.5.8

TNG 7.0.2

PHP version 5.2.6

1. Was unable to change the path /tng setting in the Joomla backend edit config section. I had to manually edit the config.tng.php file.

2. When I logout of Joomla and click on the menu item to TNG link I get the following errors:

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'JPATH_SITEDSDSgetlang.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/andresf/public_html/genealogy/index_joomla.php on line 26

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'JPATH_SITEDSDSgenlib.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/andresf/public_html/genealogy/index_joomla.php on line 27

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/andresf/public_html/genealogy/index_joomla.php:26) in /home/andresf/public_html/genealogy/index_joomla.php on line 42

3. When I logout via TNG side ... it does not log me out of Joomla side.

Paul Andringa

Hi,

First of all many many thanks for making this bridge!! Your work is greatly appreciated!

I have run into a problem that previously did not exist, it appeared today and also before I updated the bridge. The only change that has happened is that the server went from PHP 4 to PHP 5 although I can not recall seeing problems after this new build?

It shows this above everything else:

Warning: mysql_query() [function.mysql-query]: Access denied for user 'nobody'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home/paul/public_html/components/com_tng/tng.php on line 31

Warning: mysql_query() [function.mysql-query]: A link to the server could not be established in /home/paul/public_html/components/com_tng/tng.php on line 31

Warning: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/paul/public_html/components/com_tng/tng.php on line 35

Joomla and TNG are working fine so I am a little confused why it would say it has problems accessing the server and reporting an Access Denied error?

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Running:

Joomla 1.5.8

TNG 7.02

PHP 5.28

Apache 1.3

Your assistance is greatly appreciated!!

Paul

Hi Paul,

I'm not able to duplicate that php warning. These are very general php warnings.

1) Check to make sure that your Joomla prefix is "jos_" (or whatever your joomla table prefix is) in the admin backend of the component.

2) Create a user in your Joomla frontend and then click the TNG menu link and see if it places the user information into TNG's Users admin backend.

3) if your feeling frisky replace line 30ish of tng.php:

$result = mysql_query ($sql);
to read:
$result = mysql_query ($sql) or die('select died: ' . mysql_error());

This should give a more detailed report.

If you can find your php error log try to track down the details there.

Let me know if you find anything out.

Thanks,

-joe

ps. you can turn off php warnings in your php.ini settings - but I still like to know what your error log reads to try to pin down if it is truly a bug in the code or something not set up right with your server.

Hi,

First of all many many thanks for making this bridge!! Your work is greatly appreciated!

I have run into a problem that previously did not exist, it appeared today and also before I updated the bridge. The only change that has happened is that the server went from PHP 4 to PHP 5 although I can not recall seeing problems after this new build?

It shows this above everything else:

Joomla and TNG are working fine so I am a little confused why it would say it has problems accessing the server and reporting an Access Denied error?

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Running:

Joomla 1.5.8

TNG 7.02

PHP 5.28

Apache 1.3

Your assistance is greatly appreciated!!

Paul

Paul Andringa

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your help but I have been unsuccesful.

1) Check to make sure that your Joomla prefix is "jos_" (or whatever your joomla table prefix is) in the admin backend of the component.

It is "jos_"

2) Create a user in your Joomla frontend and then click the TNG menu link and see if it places the user information into TNG's Users admin backend.

Did that and noticed it does not sign the user in to TNG (It did in the past)

to read:

I did that but that just results in the same error but on a blank page, i.e. it does not load any of the site. I normally have the site 'off line' as it is not ready but you can see it on www.andringa.net, i.e. I changed it back to the original code.

I think I might try going back to PHP 4 and see if the problem goes away. I will still need to go on to 5 but at least I know for my own sanity that it worked before....

Paul

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply.

Server runs on Linux. And I didn't get any warning from the Joomla admin side and made sure config.tng.php was writable.

I re-download your updated file and try again and let you know what I get.

Thanks again for your support.

Hi,

Just curious...what server and platform are you using...Windows or Linux or Mac?

1) make sure your config.tng.php file permissions is "writable" Did you get a warning on the admin side of Joomla stating this file was not writable?

2) I've updated. Download and try to reinstall again and that should take care of the php warnings. Let me know if it broke something else :)

3) It's only a one way bridge with this component -- Joomla --> TNG . This is known and been discussed before. Look on the boards here for a fix that involves editing a joomla file. I'm not sure which thread... Sorry. (If we can ever work out the javascript bugs on the new bridge that SAS has been working on this will be taken care of.)

thanks,

-joe

Hey Joe,

The "b" version of your file fixed the issues I reported to you earlier.

Now just gotta hunt down that thread to allow dual login/logout from TNG.

Thanks!

Joomla 1.5.8

TNG 7.0.2

Apache version 2.2.9 (Unix)

PHP version 5.2.6

MySQL version 5.0.67

Operating system Linux

Hey Joe,

Just a FYI - discovered another issue but it seems to be a Firefox issue.

I tried in both FF 2.0.x and 3.0.4 and when I go to the TNG administration panel it shows the page for a sec then frame collapses.

TNG Admin panel works fine in IE7 and Safari.

Re-installed your first file just to confirm it was happening there too.

Also tried other Joomla templates.

So looks like a FireFox thing.

No biggie though .. most of my visitors use IE and if I have to access TNG admin panel, I'll use IE as well.

Please keep up the great work.

Thanks for letting me know that the b version fixed the issues.

Yep, it is a known issue that the TNG admin page collapses with firefox when it is wrapped within Joomla.

It's because javascript is used to get rid of the verticle iframe and not every browser is compliant with that certain javascript statement. One up for Internet Explore I guess :)

I just open the admin page in it's own page since it is usually just me accessing the TNG admin area. If you look around I think Tom discusses this. I can't remember if he found a work around.

-joe

Hey Joe,

Just a FYI - discovered another issue but it seems to be a Firefox issue.

I tried in both FF 2.0.x and 3.0.4 and when I go to the TNG administration panel it shows the page for a sec then frame collapses.

TNG Admin panel works fine in IE7 and Safari.

Re-installed your first file just to confirm it was happening there too.

Also tried other Joomla templates.

So looks like a FireFox thing.

No biggie though .. most of my visitors use IE and if I have to access TNG admin panel, I'll use IE as well.

Please keep up the great work.

Hey Joe,

How do I sync my TNG users into Joomla so they don't have to register a second time for a Joomla account. I've been doing a search in the forums but haven't found one that talks about this version. Is the procedure similar to the Joomla 1.0.x version you had? If it is ... I've read that you can only go from Joomla registered users to TNG. Not from TNG users to Joomla. If so, I've got a lot of TNG users that will need to re-register on the Joomla side. Please confirm.

Thanks for the explanation regarding Firefox.

Yep, it is a known issue that the TNG admin page collapses with firefox when it is wrapped within Joomla.

It's because javascript is used to get rid of the verticle iframe and not every browser is compliant with that certain javascript statement. One up for Internet Explore I guess :)

I just open the admin page in it's own page since it is usually just me accessing the TNG admin area. If you look around I think Tom discusses this. I can't remember if he found a work around.

-joe

I got it fixed using an older version of Joe's bridge, and I haven't played with his most recent one. As I recall the change I made to the TNG Bridge Component I'm using (runs in Legacy mode on Joomla1.5) was to the last line of the tng.php file in the joomla components/com_tng directory.

The last line started off with height='auto'. I changed this to height='800' - or however many pixels you want the window to be. Of course that means all TNG pages will be that height, and you still get the double scrolling bars if the page is larger than 800. Not necessarily the prettiest solution but it solved my problem of accessing admin from within Joomla.

For some reason after a reinstall on another hosting company, the firefox problem disappeared for awhile, but then reappeared again and I had to readd my change.

I hope to get to try Joe's current bridge soon, but spent part of today restoring back to Joomla 1.5.8 from 1.5.9 as I was having problems with Joomla Login coming up with a registered user message on login - but the bridge was working okay with 1.5.9. I'm also still running 7.0.2 TNG. I guess I need to set up a better test site so I can get back to this without messing up my working site.

Tom

*****UPDATE******

Well guess that change doesn't work any longer. It could be the restore I did earlier this afternoon. But to Joe's point, I find that when I'm doing admin work I just go directly to the TNG Admin site - and not through Joomla. It's just cleaner, and no chance of Joomla causing problems :-)

Hi

i have the same Problem

yes, it's jos_

no result

to read:

This should give a more detailed report.

I did that but that just results in the same error but on a blank page

Warning: mysql_query() [function.mysql-query]: A link to the server could not be established in /home/httpd/vhosts/xxxxxxxxx.xxx/httpdocs/joomla/components/com_tng/tng.php on line 30

select died: Access denied for user 'apache'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

-balu

Joomla! 1.5.9 Production/Stable [ Vatani ] 9-January-2009 23:00 GMT

TNG 7.0.3

Apache/2.0.52 (CentOS)

PHP Version 5.2.6

MySQL - 4.1.20

Yes, it only passes variables from Joomla to TNG not the other way around.

-joe

Hey Joe,

How do I sync my TNG users into Joomla so they don't have to register a second time for a Joomla account. I've been doing a search in the forums but haven't found one that talks about this version. Is the procedure similar to the Joomla 1.0.x version you had? If it is ... I've read that you can only go from Joomla registered users to TNG. Not from TNG users to Joomla. If so, I've got a lot of TNG users that will need to re-register on the Joomla side. Please confirm.

Thanks for the explanation regarding Firefox.

Paul and Balu.....

After further research (Google Search) on the error you are getting, it appears your permissions may not be set correctly on your MySQL Server.

I am not going to go into various configurations as each host and server is set up differently and it beyond my scope.

You need to gain access to your MySQL server and maybe issue a command similar to the one below to see if that clears up the database connection issue.

GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'apache'@'localhost' identified by ''

-joe

ps. If you have access to your php.ini file look for the directive " mysql.allow_persistent=Off" Try turning it on or vice versa and see if it does anything. You may have issues with persistent connections to your database.

pps. Like I said before, that warning is a very general warning and could mean any number of things. Let us know if you figure out what is going on.

I just preformed a clean install:

Joomla 1.5.8

TNG 7.03

TNG Bridge I downloaded from this thread

I use GoDaddy for my hosting it is a:

Linux OS

MySQL 5.0

PHP (Not certain but according to what I can find on the hosting site either version 4 or 5 depending on what the application takes advantage of.)

I had Joomla & TNG working together with earlier versions but had not worked on it in a while so I scratched the install and started with the latest versions. (Bad Move)

GoDaddy Handles most of the Joomla install it went smooth and appears to be working fine.

I uploaded TNG in mydomain/joomla/tng and opened the readme.html file and went through the install instructions. Everything went fine until it asked for the information to connect to the Database. I could not get it to connect. So I went into the Admin Section of TNG directly and inputted the DB login information there and it created all the tables as it should have.

I then installed the bridge, first thing I noticed was it did not create a menu selection to take me into TNG from Joomla. So I created one myself and it gives me a no page found.

I also tried uninstalling the TNG bridge component, setting Joomla to legacy mode and reinstalling the TNG Bridge. No Change

Any Ideas where I went worng???

Thanks, Will

Can you provide the link to your website and to your TNG directory to show me that they are working independently?

Legacy mode is not needed.

I removed the auto menu creation a couple of versions back so people could place the menu item where they wanted. This is pretty standard for Joomla components.

Did you place index_joomla.php file into the TNG main directory?

-joe

I just preformed a clean install:

Joomla 1.5.8

TNG 7.03

TNG Bridge I downloaded from this thread

I use GoDaddy for my hosting it is a:

Linux OS

MySQL 5.0

PHP (Not certain but according to what I can find on the hosting site either version 4 or 5 depending on what the application takes advantage of.)

I had Joomla & TNG working together with earlier versions but had not worked on it in a while so I scratched the install and started with the latest versions. (Bad Move)

GoDaddy Handles most of the Joomla install it went smooth and appears to be working fine.

I uploaded TNG in mydomain/joomla/tng and opened the readme.html file and went through the install instructions. Everything went fine until it asked for the information to connect to the Database. I could not get it to connect. So I went into the Admin Section of TNG directly and inputted the DB login information there and it created all the tables as it should have.

I then installed the bridge, first thing I noticed was it did not create a menu selection to take me into TNG from Joomla. So I created one myself and it gives me a no page found.

I also tried uninstalling the TNG bridge component, setting Joomla to legacy mode and reinstalling the TNG Bridge. No Change

Any Ideas where I went worng???

Thanks, Will

Paul and Balu.....

After further research (Google Search) on the error you are getting, it appears your permissions may not be set correctly on your MySQL Server.

I am not going to go into various configurations as each host and server is set up differently and it beyond my scope.

You need to gain access to your MySQL server and maybe issue a command similar to the one below to see if that clears up the database connection issue.

GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'apache'@'localhost' identified by ''

-joe

ps. If you have access to your php.ini file look for the directive " mysql.allow_persistent=Off" Try turning it on or vice versa and see if it does anything. You may have issues with persistent connections to your database.

pps. Like I said before, that warning is a very general warning and could mean any number of things. Let us know if you figure out what is going on.

My tng-installation is in a separate Database, not in the Joomla "Master"-DB

could this be the Problem ?

-balu

Mike Goodstadt

Joe,

How does this relate to the Joomla bridge beta we were working on?

Regards,

Mike

-joe

Joe, in follow-up,

I updated my test site with the 7.1.5b bridge. The test site was running Joomla 1.5.9, TNG 7.0.3, and your older Legacy mode Bridge.

I uninstalled the old bridge, changed to Joomla 1.5.9 Native mode, installed new bridge, added menu, copied over the new index_joomla.php file, editted to set default permissions to my liking. Voila - everything worked well.

Well almost everything. Unlike the old TNG bridge, the new bridge always overlays the TNG Description field with the Joomla User Permissions level (e.g. Registered, Author, etc.). So initially when you add a User, TNG responds with Welcome 'username', but on subsequent logins, TNG comes back with Welcome 'Registered' (or whatever the User level is).

Even after editing TNG User Description field, the Bridge only keeps the Name on the first login, and reverts back to Joomla permissions on subsequent logins.

This means any custom code one has that uses the Description field to associate a User, is lost - and important to me, the Access Log loses the identity of the who is accessing the site. As a result the Access Log shows just a bunch of records that shows User:Registered accessed something from IP address.

Is there a way to keep the bridge from overlaying the Description Field if the User already exists?

Thanks for your work.

Tom

***** UPDATE *******

I figured out how to make this version work for me by making the following changes in index_joomla.php

Line 98 - change "SET description = '$f_utype', email" to "SET email" . This prevents the setting of TNG Description field if the Joomla User is already defined in TNG. This leaves existing TNG Description value untouched if the Joomla User is matched in TNG, but if this is a new TNG user, then the TNG Description field will be set to the Joomla User Group.

So far I haven't seen any problems with making these changes. The net difference is that if you want to send over the User Permission level, it will be sent initially, but if you later change the User Group from Registered to Author, then this change will not be reflected in TNG.

Thanks Joe for replying

maplesfamily.us/joomla/tng

I've also upgraded Joomla to 1.5.9

Can you provide the link to your website and to your TNG directory to show me that they are working independently?

Legacy mode is not needed.

I removed the auto menu creation a couple of versions back so people could place the menu item where they wanted. This is pretty standard for Joomla components.

Did you place index_joomla.php file into the TNG main directory?

-joe

Hi Mike,

it doesn't relate at all to the other bridge we have worked on.

This is just an update to my older bridge that is purely joomla 1.5 compliant. I still run my working sites using my old bridge and I have finally updated to Joomla 1.5.. This is what works for me and I am just sharing it since we have not worked out the bugs on the new unreleased bridge.

If the new bridge ever gets released it will plug directly into the Joomla API. This bridge does not plug directly into the Joomla API.

-joe

Joe,

How does this relate to the Joomla bridge beta we were working on?

Regards,

Mike

Tom,

thanks for providing this for those who may not want joomla to write/change the TNG description area. This was done by design on my part because of the way I use the bridge.

You have your own way.

Now folks have two ways to use it. :)

-joe

Joe, in follow-up,

I updated my test site with the 7.1.5b bridge. The test site was running Joomla 1.5.9, TNG 7.0.3, and your older Legacy mode Bridge.

I uninstalled the old bridge, changed to Joomla 1.5.9 Native mode, installed new bridge, added menu, copied over the new index_joomla.php file, editted to set default permissions to my liking. Voila - everything worked well.

Well almost everything. Unlike the old TNG bridge, the new bridge always overlays the TNG Description field with the Joomla User Permissions level (e.g. Registered, Author, etc.). So initially when you add a User, TNG responds with Welcome 'username', but on subsequent logins, TNG comes back with Welcome 'Registered' (or whatever the User level is).

Even after editing TNG User Description field, the Bridge only keeps the Name on the first login, and reverts back to Joomla permissions on subsequent logins.

This means any custom code one has that uses the Description field to associate a User, is lost - and important to me, the Access Log loses the identity of the who is accessing the site. As a result the Access Log shows just a bunch of records that shows User:Registered accessed something from IP address.

Is there a way to keep the bridge from overlaying the Description Field if the User already exists?

Thanks for your work.

Tom

***** UPDATE *******

I figured out how to make this version work for me by making the following changes in index_joomla.php

Line 98 - change "SET description = '$f_utype', email" to "SET email" . This prevents the setting of TNG Description field if the Joomla User is already defined in TNG. This leaves existing TNG Description value untouched if the Joomla User is matched in TNG, but if this is a new TNG user, then the TNG Description field will be set to the Joomla User Group.

So far I haven't seen any problems with making these changes. The net difference is that if you want to send over the User Permission level, it will be sent initially, but if you later change the User Group from Registered to Author, then this change will not be reflected in TNG.

Will,

can you create a Joomla admin account for me and pm me with the user name and password.

Is there some reason you are running Joomla in a subdirectory? I'm thinking this may be the issue is setting the correct path for the bridge to access TNG.

I'll take a look at it when I get a chance.

-joe

Thanks Joe for replying

Thanks Joe for replying