TNG Community

Guestbooks

aop27

google: Free guestbook script

There are about a billion out there. I personnally have abondoned guest books, like so many others because any form that accepts entries from anyone will eventually be used to spam you and your readers.

Good luck,

Herb

• 1 year later...

google: Free guestbook script

There are about a billion out there. I personnally have abondoned guest books, like so many others because any form that accepts entries from anyone will eventually be used to spam you and your readers.

Good luck,

Herb

Well, it finally happened to me - I am now thinking of abandoning my guestbook. I am using Lazarus, and was quite happy with it. Suddenly, I started getting spamming by some Russian with bogus entries in the guestbook with links.

I checked my site statistics on my hosting company, and found out where this was coming from:

http://yourguest.com.ru/test.php

Is listed in my statistics as a "link". It is the only thing that is suspicious in my statistics. The page is in Russian, so I visited Babel Translator where you can translate a page on a website, and although a bad translation, I can see that it has something to do with a guestbook form. So maybe someone else can explain what is going on here - no way to stop it? If not I guess I will be abandoning it too.

I'm looking to set a guestbook up for my new site. Does anyone have any pointers as to where to start?

Any help appreciated.

aop

Alot of TNG users seem to like the Lazarus Guestbook. Not sure on the site link, but just google for lazarus guestbook.

Well, it finally happened to me - I am now thinking of abandoning my guestbook. I am using Lazarus, and was quite happy with it. Suddenly, I started getting spamming by some Russian with bogus entries in the guestbook with links.

I checked my site statistics on my hosting company, and found out where this was coming from:

Is listed in my statistics as a "link". It is the only thing that is suspicious in my statistics. The page is in Russian, so I visited Babel Translator where you can translate a page on a website, and although a bad translation, I can see that it has something to do with a guestbook form. So maybe someone else can explain what is going on here - no way to stop it? If not I guess I will be abandoning it too.

Just use the test question in Lazarus, they cannot auto spam you then, it has to be a real person, spammers use bot's

• 7 months later...
Scott Buschlen

This russian spammer makes life difficult for many people across the country. He is very active.

You need to create a file called .htaccess and put his IP in it to stop him

His IP is 81.95.146.162

This russian spammer makes life difficult for many people across the country. He is very active.

You need to create a file called .htaccess and put his IP in it to stop him

His IP is 81.95.146.162

Scott, that is not his IP. He spoofs IP's so you cannot block him that way. He could spam you and use your own IP as his ID.

Scott Buschlen

Scott, that is not his IP. He spoofs IP's so you cannot block him that way. He could spam you and use your own IP as his ID.

I see that you and I have come to the same conclusion.

I know that the one single IP I provided is NOT the be all, end all. It merely gives someone a place to start.

Using that IP really cut down on his activities on my site, but he continued.

I have been dealing with this guy for the past couple of years. He has been pestering me long before I came to TNG. And only recently (knock on wood) I seem to have come to an end with him.

I modified my TNG files to show/log IP addresses of those accessing them, and also changed the names of them so they did not match regular TNG file naming. I watched and gathered IP's for a couple of months. I started putting in IPs into my deny list that were from his area (and faked areas). When I would block out one area, he would show up in another, in the same day. I figured he either knew how to fake it, or had friends in other places. For a few IP areas, I had to shorten up the numbers to block out a whole region or country. It has been weeks now that I have not seen ANY activity of his on my site.

However, right after I seemed to have him completely blocked out, I started getting bombarded with emails that were being bounced back to me, supposedly sent by me to others with bad addresses. My email server was set-up with a 'catch all', so I was getting them all. This has been going on for the past few weeks. Yesterday I finally had enough, turned off the 'catch all' , changed my main email address, and required all emails to be exactly addressed to me, or they get bounced. I felt like this sudden bombardment of returned emails was in retaliation to not being able to get to my site. Could be wrong, but that is what it felt like.

I would be more than willing to share the list of IPs that I have gathered with anyone who wants to PM me.

• 5 months later...

I have recently had this guy asking for my details, he as left a message in my guest book, take a look at my website guestbook the link is below, this might not be a spammer but I thought I would share this info just encase it is a spammer, I have searched Google with some interesting results, try it your self and see, www.pagenotexist.com

Also today 30 April I found the entry below in my Cpanel’s last 300 visitors,

Got anyone ideas of what he is trying to-do?

Any one else had this guy contacting them, be interesting to know.

He as made a few attempts at my guestbook but with no luck so far!

David