• Word of mouth
    • Saw another TNG site
    • Search engine
    • Dick Eastman
    • Genealogical Computing Magazine
    • Other

palmspringsbum    0
palmspringsbum

I first noticed your software on Leo van de Pas' wonderful site: www.genealogics.org.

Back then the search didn't appear to work, but I was impressed by the presentation.

Last week I finally purchased a copy online and downloaded it.

5 or so chain-smoking days later I have managed to get all 50,000+ of my cousins and assorted other relatives loaded. I mean in the database...

...there are problems, and it isn't perfect, but it does appear to be quite the stuff.

Definitely a new generation of genealogy software.

allison    0
allison

I have been searching for ages for a web based program so that members of my family who live several thousand kms from each other could all work in the same database at their leisure.

After trying several of your "competitors" I was frustrated by the drawbacks of the other programs and got really cheesed off when my "private" database ended up on Ancestry.com (as a benefit they made available to their paid subscribers!) and I started getting hundreds of e-mails because they were alerting people to matches in my database.

I did not really consider TNG a contender for my database because I could see after looking the forums that learning to set it up was not going to be an easy proposition, but started rethinking this when Ancestry swiped my database.

Another thing that convinced me to make the jump, was a posting by one of your other users, on the Legacy email forum, that suggested that Legacy can be successfully used in conjunction with TNG, and gedcoms and linked files can easily be "synchronized" for want of a better word, and both programs used at the same time (sort of as a back up for one another).

And last and definitely not least, is ...after I bought the program I was having trouble (as a total newbie to setting up websites), getting things set up on my web hosting providers site, and Darrin personally stepped in and took care of getting me straightened out and then explained what was causing me the troubles. Not many software developers will do that and you have earned my total respect for that!

mhb    0
mhb

This isn't helpful, but it was so long ago I have no clue anymore! Thanks for such a great product in any case, and superb service.

Seeria    0
Seeria

I ran a search for genealogy SCRIPT, figuring a script would get me results for Web use where 'program' and 'software' kept coming up with local based gen software.

Brett    0
Brett

I kept searching for ANY Genealogy program that I had still not tried. Eventually, TNG made it onto the list. Did the demo, bought it, and the rest, as they say is History.

Chambers    0
Chambers

I found TNG doing genealogy research. A website was using it for the data and I liked it's simplicity and Individual person page layout.

I was using PhpGedView for a couple years, but kept loosing my media links everytime I would upload a replacement GEDCOM. In addition, the GoogleMaps feature was a mess and difficult to implement. PhpGedView also became very slow, and at times unresponsive.

With TNG, all that changed.

bsl20b50    0
bsl20b50

My aunt, Elizabeth Carlisle (Boulter) is a relative of yours, and she told me about you.

Bill Gann    0
Bill Gann

One day, after tediously compiling a list of all the marriages that occurred in a certain locality during a certain time frame, by clicking up and down my trees, hoping to catch everyone, I got irritated. I thought, "I am a certifiable database expert. I need a real live relational database to store this data, so I can query it any way I want and get the information I actually need. Surely there is free or low-cost genealogy software that uses MySQL."

So I went to Google and Cyndie's list, and here I am now, a totally satisfied TNG user. Not only does my site look 1000x better after only a few hour's effort, but I know I won't be wasting a bunch of time trying to figure out who I'm supposed to be looking for in the next microfilm.

berksgenie    0
berksgenie

My first web database was a simple gedcom to html. I was looking for something more robust and found TNG through Google. At first I was very intimidated to purchase it thinking I would be in way over my head because I had no prior knowledge of running a site. Yea, I still find myself in over my head occasionally but am very happy.

When I saw the price, I figured I couldn't go wrong and gave it a shot.

pointman23    0
pointman23

I was wanting to start a website with my family's genealogy. Was debating with myself: set it all up as simple HTML or go hardcore and build a database? I built a db and test site and ran some tests. Things worked but I slowly realized how daunting it would be to actually make a good functioning powerful site. So I searched to see if a genealogy database already existed - typed in "genealogy database" and found TNG. Much appreciated.

Hanne    0
Hanne

I don't remember how I found TNG, but probably I was searching something with database, as I was tired of all the HTML files, that other programmes produced.

I am very happy with TNG that full fill all my needs. Recently I have managed to get all my images on the web with an export from legacy. That is a great feature in TNG.

Aulus    0
Aulus

I was comparing genealogy web apps and read about it on a wiki article. At first I wasn't sure about it but with the latest version I decided it's time to just break down and try it out. If I don't end up liking it the price is low enough that it won't be a big loss.

Craig Arno    0
Craig Arno

I started with a web (Google) search for genealogy

which quickly lead me to Wikipedia

which after seeing I had many choices I considered PHP Web based solutions

which finally lead me to Wikipedia TNG and finally here after about 3-4 hours of filtering choices.

Then I saw you wanted $33 to download and install after trying your online version with US Presidents and Kings/Queens. At $33 after poking at your online demo, I decided I shouldn't spend much more time thinking about it, just buy it and see if I could get it running. The decision was still if this would work for importing my 2006 copy of our families PAF file (after exporting to GED).

I got it running and imported. Played for a about an hour looking around the 1240 records and modifying what I had.

That's when you started getting emails from me about European character sets, global changes to places, and how to make search operate the way I would like... and I received great answers to these questions and one feature request. for media sources.

And here we are today.

pack1967    0
pack1967

My son told me about it after hearing about it from his coworkers. Love it!

mariahswind    0
mariahswind

It was over 7 yrs ago, I can't remember how specifically. I think I was looking at the free genealogy php scripts and decided they weren't what I was after and somehow found TNG and have been using it ever since.

Shanan

Jobastian    0
Jobastian

I heard about this through a couple of friends who are using it.

And i where searching for a program i liked. I looked at many other and didn't really like them. They didn't have the "right feel". But TNG did... So through my friends i have tried it out for a while and liked it so much that i thought, why not buy the license i have this on my own website :)

For now my "feel" about it sticks.

It is simple. User friendly and has a lot of features! 8-)

dsmith49    0
dsmith49

Hi, first of all I want to say that I'm new to TNG after finding what I thought was a perfect solution for my online genealogy site.  The software that I was using was good, but the support was very poor.  I went to their forums and posted question after question and never got any replies.  Not only that, the site was in both Dutch and English and I really don't think they understood my written concerns very well.  I ran that software for about 2 weeks, and a few days ago I went to the site and found that the author had decided not to continue to program or support his software, which left me in a very vulnerable situation.  I started searching the Internet to find some other online genealogy software where family members could sign up and start contributing and modifying their own information in our family tree.

Then I came across TNG.  I had a little trouble deciding whether or not to switch because I was concerned that family members wouldn't be able to sign up and contribute their own data.  When I sent an email to Darrin to ask this question, he not only replied to my question within a couple of hours, he confirmed that TNG was able to do what I wanted.  That sold me right there, and I bought the software almost immediately after!

During set up I had a few problems getting the permissions set but the setup in Ubuntu Linux was pretty much flawless. Now that I've had TNG up and running for a few days now in a test location on my server and have added a few photos and genealogical records, I'm extremely pleased with it!  There are so many options and features, and I know there is a lot of support for plug-ins and and active community forum to go when I need help.  As long as there is support for the product, I hope to be around for a long time!  I'll need lots of help and advice, I imagine.

It's true what they say, you really do get what you pay for!

RickGleason    0
RickGleason

I actually don't recall... it's been several years ago. I can tell you this though... I'm sure glad I did! It took several years before I finally took the plunge and created my web site just 9 days ago.. It's absolutely great software and the support is commendable.

Thank you Darrin for producing such a great product. I live in Las Vegas and have spent the last nearly two months visiting the Cedar City area. I have a son and his family in Provo. I think you live up around Salt Lake area. I 'd love to meet you someday!

Best regards!