• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Darrin Lythgoe

• zwertsgj

• skooliano

• tmaguirre

My vote for Other is because I believe I first became aware of TNG when you Darrin posted on the ReunionTalk mail list. Maybe that should have been an option in your survey. :-)

Roger

I found an add in an old mag then used the internet to search (HP + genealogy) the web.

I am very pleased with the product. Saved me countless hours of program planning.

I would like a programmer's document a little more detailed than the appendix page currently is to include the db table structure.

Robert

I found you with Google. I was amazed at the high quality of the product and the low price. Even back in version 1.x where I started.

Don...

basically I was just looking for a piece of software that would do what I wanted. I have tried many different pieces of software, but this one was the one who provided my needs. I like the product, I can help to improve it and I just learned to like Darrin.

A British friend of mine once said: "You sound too British" Well maybe that explains the unpretentious praise, but for me it's the best piece of software I have ever seen.

I found TNG when searching the internet, looking at other people’s sites. At the bottom of every page was a link to Darrin’s site. The number of sites that had been developed using TNG was astounding. There was no other choice as far as I was concerned, and have been more than happy with my choice since. With the support of Darrin, my site was operational in no time at all, and that’s with no past experience.

John biggrin.gif

Search engine, looking for php genealogy program, found yours, and I was lucky. Took me some time to understand the advantages of embedding it in nuke, and regret that I cannot program modules to improve the interactivity of TNG

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I did a google search for genealogy + php and found two listings. One was free and look very hard to set up. The other was TNG and seem easy to set up. I sent an email with questions and had an answer back quickly.

I selected TNG and glad I did, the free program would have been a lot more work.

Originally, on a search engine. a REAL search engine that gives results by relevance, not $$ (cough)g**gle(cough). But the write-up on HotScripts convinced me to give it a try.

Combination of reading Dick Eastman's glowing review of TNG in the Winter 2005 issue, page 41, of the New England Historic Genealogical Society's "New England Ancestors."

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit curious as to how you heard about TNG. Hence, the attached poll. I appreciate you taking the time to enter your response!

Darrin

I stumbled across another TNG site while researching my tree. It looked so good, I had to have it!

Therese M. Aguirre

www.mitchgen.net

My vote for Other is because I believe I first became aware of TNG when you Darrin posted on the ReunionTalk mail list. Maybe that should have been an option in your survey. :-)

Roger

Ditto Roger. The ReunionTalk mail list often refers to TNG as a superior alternative to Reunion's static webpages.

KJH

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit curious as to how you heard about TNG. Hence, the attached poll. I appreciate you taking the time to enter your response!

Darrin

I read the Eastman article in "New England Ancestors." It sounded very interesting so I took a look at the example sites, and bought it immediately. Then I ended up having to get a new provider so I could run the program. My previous host was *supposed* to be able to run it, but it didn't, and I got no help from support (after being with them for about 6 or 7 years). :evil:

My new provider, 100megswebhosting.com, bent over backwards to help, the one time I had a problem.

I was looking to an alternative to the RootsWeb site I set up years ago and believe I saw a blurb for TNG in the Reunion newsletter..... And for someone like me that is not familiar with codes and all, TNG was remarkably easy to get going and my friends and family are really impressed!! ha! Judy

I discovered TNG as I was consulting one of my friend's website (http://www.farhi.org) and discovered that he was slowly switching part of his site to this new software.

And THAT was a good discovery indeed !

Thanks Darrin !,

Francis

I was surfing around looking for relatives when I came upon a TNG website (now I know it was one of the templates, but at the time I did not know that). When I saw it I said to myself; that is the kind of website I want! I scrolled down to see if there was a webmaster name or company link. I found the TNG link; bought it right away. I have enjoyed it ever since. I actually turned out using a different template than the first one that attracted me.

• 3 weeks later...

I found it primarily thru Google search - took the time to look at user's pages, read the info on the web site - icluding the press articles (Eastman, etc.). It was exactly what I was looking for!

While not exactly IT challenged - I think you could benefit from a more detailed guide to setting up and customizing the pages. For example - while I've done HTML before - I could benefit from a step-by-step guide to customizing the pages. While I understand what I need to use to do the editing - at the moment I'm not sure of HOW to make that happen - do I go to my site host and use control panel to work on files, etc. Or, maybe I just haven't found all of the info yet.

I can't remember for sure. It might have been Cyndi's list. I only have enough webmaster skills to be dangerous, and I'd never heard of PHP till I found TNG. I had made some brief forays into static pages, but I KNEW there had to be something better.

I hope to be doing this for at least 40 more years - who knows where we will be by then?!