• HotScripts
    • Cyndi's List
    • Word of mouth
    • Saw another TNG site
    • Search engine
    • Dick Eastman
    • Genealogical Computing Magazine
    • Other

Several members of the Legacy Users Group (LegacyFamilyTree from Millenia Corp) declared themselves happy users of the product, and favorable impressions of the support available.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Darrin Lythgoe

• zwertsgj

• skooliano

• tmaguirre

Dick Eastmans column. Tried others then looked at TNG, asked Darrin a couple of questions - answered them before I had pressed the send button!

Struggling to come to grips with integration with Joomla, but, hey! this is a great product and fun learning.

Team it with Gustave and his team at SimplyHosting and you have a tremendous combination.!

paulreon

• 4 weeks later...
Northern New Mexico Families

I searched Google for "genealogy" and "php". Being retired and broke, I was looking for something free, and there were several options. However, despite a great deal of time and effort, I was unable to get any of them to work properly. Decided that the small fee was worth having support available, and I've never been sorry. Great package -- thanks!

Lydia

Team it with Gustave and his team at SimplyHosting and you have a tremendous combination.!

paulreon

I believe that is the real key...

TNG is one half and SimplyHosting is the second half. I could have never gotten off the ground without SimplyHosting. I would reccommend both to anyone who asked....

Thanks,

GENFAN

• 1 month later...
gregoryology

My vote for Other is because I believe I first became aware of TNG when you Darrin posted on the ReunionTalk mail list. Maybe that should have been an option in your survey. :-)

Roger

Yep. I herd about it on Reunion Talk.

Another great reason to own a Mac!

I use Reunion software for my genealogy program. I check their site on occasion and look at the Reunion chatboard. There was a thread about using TNG to create a website for genealogy. There was a link off of the thread. I clicked on the link and investigated the TNG website. I thought it would work for me and that was how I found TNG.

• 1 month later...

I found out about TNG through a friend who was setting up a genealogy website of his family (www.montinola.org). That was several years ago when I found about it though. I think when TNG was still in its infancy. I finally got TNG a little over a year ago in anticipation of my daughters birth.

My goal was to set up our family site for her so she would know her family but it ended up becoming somewhat of an obsession LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I found TNG by searching Google for a PHP genealogy program. I was ready to write some rough PHP hack that would get my pages online from a GEDCOM when I found TNG for only $27! I paid the fee almost instantly. It did pretty much everything I could have hoped for.

• 3 weeks later...

I got an e-mail from Ulrich Kretschmer, who translated the TNG text to German, because he inspected our family page www.merkelstiftung.de and found common ancestors. He gave me the hint to learn more about TNG.

Meanwhile I have set up a genealogy page using TNG with more than 20,000 persons, more than 8,000 families, more than 1,000 pictures. I hade some trouble to load the 10 MBytes GEDCOM file, but Darrin helped me in a fabulous mannor. The genealogy pages are still password protected, until the family concil has committed to publish the data.

My intention is to establish or attend a German TNG user forum. Who will join this activity?

Rainer

• 3 weeks later...

Was searching in Google (Sept/Oct 2005) for a way to put my (at that moment little) genealogical data in a database, AND for a way to put it online...

TNG it is :)

• 1 month later...

Other,

I think it was on a Legacy mailing list.

Have programmed in ASP for ages, was disappointed in the 'web pages' that Legacy generates. Thought that I would write some ASP pages that replicate what LEGACY produces in static html as a starting point, and then just ftp up the Legacy acccess db and my asp pages.

Told some others about what I planned, then someone one said had I seen TNG. Had a look - $27 bucks!!! Did some quick sum's - it would take me about a 3 or 4 days to write up the ASP pages to how I wanted them.

That's about $500 worth of billing time - as opposed to $27 or whatever for TNG - plus some hosting money on top.

Easy decision to make - and my first venture into anything PHP code related.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to using TNG. I just uploaded it last night to my site at http://hobbits8.com/familytree. A year or so ago, I was very impressed to find the Sprague genealogy database since I'm a Sprague descendant. It was the best genealogy site I'd ever seen. Then just yesterday I wanted to send some some of my family information to a woman who had written to me because of my postings on a Rootsweb list. I was checking the Sackett Family database to send that info to her when I noticed the link at the bottom for TNG. I thought that having software on the web would be an easy way to share that info. I was reminded of the Sprague database and checked it and lo-and-behold saw that they used TNG also. I figured it might be cost-prohibitive and so was very pleasantly surprised at the reasonable price. Since in the last few months, I've learned how to use Joomla, I understood the background of the CMS system that TNG seemed to be and so wasn't afraid to try.

Thanks for the great software!

Now I'm seeing that I might possibly have a few problems because of things being in the "notes" section that I only wrote for myself not intending them for public viewing. I need to go and get rid of private email addresses, etc. And then I worried, too, that the stuff I copied and pasted from the Sprague database is probably fine for me personally, but maybe it's a problem for Arnold even though I have stated where the info comes from. Thanks for all your hard work on that, Arnold!

Patti

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit curious as to how you heard about TNG. Hence, the attached poll. I appreciate you taking the time to enter your response!

Darrin

Found a reference to TNG in a search engin, an it could run on my web server (which is a bit old so not everything does). Makes my life a lot easier in sharing the family tree amoungst the relatiuves, a lot easier than sending out updates on CD.

Regards

Gnome

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit curious as to how you heard about TNG. Hence, the attached poll. I appreciate you taking the time to enter your response!

Darrin

got info from a webmaster friend, he was looking for a program for me to use

steve

• 4 weeks later...

It's been twelve months since I googled one of my names of interest and happened upon Lee Genealogy Pages and thought that is EXACTLY what I need. Looked at the bottom of the page and found the link to TNG and here I am.

I am still as enthusiastic about the software as I was that day. I have absolutely no complaints.

I had no prior knowledge of webpages, servers etc etc but somehow with Darrins first rate assistance, the forum & TNGusers I muddled through it.

I use ICDsoft and their service is excellent.

I still have a long way to go

Regards

Lesley

bray-mcgilveryfamilies.net

• 4 weeks later...

I first heard about TNG about a year ago from someone in the Legacy User Group. I use Legacy 6, and became frustrated when I wanted to make minor changes to my website that required major work. When I posted my query about a way to do this dynamically, one of the participants recommended TNG. I only got started with TNG about three months ago and love it. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I found it on Google. I was frustrated with trying to build a genealogy site using static html pages and considered trying to write something myself, using the tables generated by my desktop program, The Master Genealogist. I was hoping not to have to do that, because it would take so long, so I thought I'd make one last foray onto the 'net to see if there was something I could use.

I went to Google and entered php genealogy. In addition to phpGedView (which I had tried, but didn't like), I found TNG. It didn't take long for me to realize that this was the one for me.

• 3 weeks later...
reverendspam

Gosh,

I don't hardly remember. I remembering emailing Darrin asking him if he was a Star Trek fan and I think it went from there :).

Seriously it may have been the search engine astavista. Anyone remember that one. It was a great search engine in it's time. too bad they went private. At the time their algorithms seemed better than gooooogle.

Joe

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Pretty simple. I was using Family Matters to create my web-pages. Very nice, but it had a downside. After updating my data I had to regenerate all the pages and upload them to my site.

So I was looking for something else with a database. After searching on the internet I've found TNG and my search was over. Until now I'm using TNG with much pleasure.

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone,

Darrin

I started out using G.R.A.M.P.S. on a Linux computer. I started looking around for something similar that I could host on my own server, so that way the family could get involved if they wanted.

Eventually, I stumbled upon TNG, and couldn't be happier with it.