TNG Community
McKern

Does everyone descend from Scottish royalty?

McKern

Is it just me or have others noticed this?

I keep running across family trees that trace back to Scottish royalty, beginning around the year 800-1000. Usually these are in unrelated (to me) family histories, but I've also seen the same pedigree associated with a few of my ancestors (from different branches, no less). Invariably, these lack supporting evidence of any kind, so I don't take them seriously.

But I am curious to know why this particular lineage seems so popular/common--e.g., is this a genealogy hoax?

Bridget

(I understand numbers, i.e., that the farther back you go, the smaller the pool gets, but based on my admittedly very tiny sample, this stretches credibility.)

thewillistree

I keep running across family trees that trace back to Scottish royalty, beginning around the year 800-1000. Usually these are in unrelated (to me) family histories, but I've also seen the same pedigree associated with a few of my ancestors (from different branches, no less). Invariably, these lack supporting evidence of any kind, so I don't take them seriously.

But I am curious to know why this particular lineage seems so popular/common--e.g., is this a genealogy hoax?

Bridget

(I understand numbers, i.e., that the farther back you go, the smaller the pool gets, but based on my admittedly very tiny sample, this stretches credibility.)

Hi Bridget,

What a great question! The furthest I've gotten back is the 16th Century in Kent, although one strand goes right back to the Dukes of Normandy and beyond to the Vikings, but I have nothing (so far) linked to Scottish royalty...

Paul

kahuja100

i love this question!

i dont think i even have any Scot's at all,

-just poor coal miners in OH, Sharecroppers in TN, and poor Palatines from Germany...........

some people are more interested in connecting to someone famous that doing their genealogy accruately, not sure why......do you get something if can connect to someone famous or royalty?

the reality is even though the numbers get smaller as you go back there were far more serfs and peasants and commoners than royalty-so most are not and cannot be related to royalty, but if your ancestor was John Williams or William Smith.......i think some take the leap.......instead of looking for the real Williams or Smith........

McKern

Ironically, I've never seen my ancestors most likely to be Scots tied to Scottish royalty. However, I believe that my ancestors are tied to another genealogy myth, i.e., according to the story,

"all the McKerns in the world descend from 2 brothers who--having escaped death at the hands of the Campbells--fled Scotland for Ireland following the Glencoe Massacre in 1692. Once in Ireland, they changed their name...".

I've found about a half-dozen other families who claim the same origin. So far, I haven't seen anyone who has actually traced back to the MacDonalds/MacIans of Glencoe--it seems that the trail always grows cold a couple of generations shy of the massacre.

May God help the McKern researcher who finds information that contradicts this family story. (It won't be me--I'm tracking descendants of Michael McKern, who's been traced back to a marriage in NJ in 1763--birth date: unknown, place: said to be Scotland, but no documentation. Again, a couple of generations removed from Glencoe.)

Bridget

Descendants of Michael and Sarah McKern

dougcouch

OF COURSE THEY DO, SILLY!

Bridget

KathleenC

Groan... don't mention it! I just found reference to the MacDonald's in some correspondence and I don't even want to think about it. Having a hard enough time finding documentation on my 18th century McElreas in Ireland, much less Scotland.