TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
John Barker

Nicknames and the NICK tag

John Barker

There's an interesting feature in Legacy 6.0 (and possibly other genealogy programs) which will export nicknames into TNG's nickname field (first line on the Person page if there is a nickname).

The interesting point is that there is no nickname field in Legacy! It takes anything which is quotation marks within the First Name field and gives it a NICK tag. Thus John "Jack" Harwin produces Jack in the nickname field

see clanbarker.com/Co and search for Jack

Note: make sure that the NICK tag is not switched off when exporting from Legacy.

johnbark

allison

There's an interesting feature in Legacy 6.0 (and possibly other genealogy programs) which will export nicknames into TNG's nickname field (first line on the Person page if there is a nickname).

The interesting point is that there is no nickname field in Legacy! It takes anything which is quotation marks within the First Name field and gives it a NICK tag. Thus John "Jack" Harwin produces Jack in the nickname field

see clanbarker.com/Co and search for Jack

Note: make sure that the NICK tag is not switched off when exporting from Legacy.

johnbark

:-P

I think you should post the above again with a Subject name or title like:

Easy way to Export Nicknames from Legacy to TNG nickname field

I nearly missed the significance of your post, and it relates directly to Legacy & TNG users. Your tip works great! I am actually using it to note that this was the name most commonly used by that individual.

Allison