TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
jimflack

index.php & index.html

jimflack

Why are there 2 index's in the main programme folder??

I assume I list index.html as the initial entry point (although everything after that goes back to index.php).

I only noticed after customising the 1st page a bit and then it kept dissapearing on me and (i thought) reverting to it original form.........lol.

Is this so the search engines can get through to the set of links shown on the index.html page ??

rdmorss

There are two index files

index.html is a static HTML file

index.php allows you to include dynamic content, such as the TNG headers and footers, etc.

Use one or the other, not both.

If you are not familiar with PHP scripting, you should use the index.html file (customized to your liking in a text editor).

jimflack

I can understand what you say Robert - but it seems impossible to use only the html one only without changing tons of other url address references.

if you use (customise) the html one as I initially tried its ok on 1st entry - but ANY link you go to after that ALWAYS refers you back (home) to the php index page - and this gets used every time thereafter.

I will have to study it a bit more - but it seems to me that the php one is the one to 'play with' and the one to give the entry address for. If you dont change the php headers and footers as a matter of course then all the rest of your tng pages are going to look extremely bland ........lol

As I say though - I am extremely new to all this but the programme itself looks terrific.

Thanks for your help Robert.

theKiwi

In the admin page, under Setup and Configuration ------> General Settings, there is a field to say what your Home Page is - put index.html in there and then TNG will always take you to that page when you click the Home link on any other page.

Cheers

Roger

jimflack

Thanks for that info Roy - it makes a lot more sense now.

I must admit I havent had time yet to really read all the TNG instructions/facilities as I am going hell for leather trying to put Parish registers online at my http://www.flackgenealogy.co.uk website.

I'll soon be able to breath out though and give TNG my full attention.

Thanks again to all you very helpfull people in here though.