TNG Community
Denise

Admin password

Denise

I swear I'm coming down with Alzheimers. I am in the process of having my genealogy site customized and wanted to give the person I hired to do the work access to my admin area so they could see a problem I'm having. But of course I forgot the login and password for the administrator so I went to the "users" area and saw that my password was much longer than the one I remember setting. So, like an idiot, I logged out and tried to log back in. Duh, Denise. Now I'm locked out of my admin area and can't log back in.

What do I do?

:oops:

Denise

Um...problem fixed...

But only because I use multiple browsers. I went to the site on a different browser, one that I'd used to work on the site from before, and I was still logged in as the admin. (Thank heaven for cookies sometimes!) Then I went to the admin area, clicked on users, clicked on "manage" and saw my admin username. Even though it *looks* like my password is a hundred characters long, it really isn't, it's the same one I'd used before.

There's a lesson here, obviously: always make sure you have a hard copy of your username and password and keep it in a safe place.

:roll:

arnold

If I recall correctly, Darrin made a semi-recent change to TNG so that the actual password cannot be not viewed. This is a security feature.

Ken Roy

There's a lesson here, obviously: always make sure you have a hard copy of your username and password and keep it in a safe place.

You could also define a new user ID with Admin authority so you don't have to share your username and password when you want help to customize a site.

TNGUSER

I swear I'm coming down with Alzheimers. I am in the process of having my genealogy site customized and wanted to give the person I hired to do the work access to my admin area so they could see a problem I'm having. But of course I forgot the login and password for the administrator so I went to the "users" area and saw that my password was much longer than the one I remember setting. So, like an idiot, I logged out and tried to log back in. Duh, Denise. Now I'm locked out of my admin area and can't log back in.

What do I do?

:oops:

Denise, Your password is recorded in the root directory in the file called config.php. It's also recorded in your TNG site Admin section. Go to Admin....Setup.....Configuration....General. Then Expand "Database" and you'll see your password. I'm using version 6.2.0, Template 6.

Hope this helps.

Carol

theKiwi

Denise, Your password is recorded in the root directory in the file called config.php. It's also recorded in your TNG site Admin section. Go to Admin....Setup.....Configuration....General. Then Expand "Database" and you'll see your password. I'm using version 6.2.0, Template 6.

The password recorded in config.php is not the Admin login password, but rather it's the password to the MySQL database that TNG needs to use to connect to the database.

Roger

janvorster

The password recorded in config.php is not the Admin login password, but rather it's the password to the MySQL database that TNG needs to use to connect to the database.

Roger

So where is the admin password kept. I can log into my FTP facilities to observe all files but as may be have lost admin password. Any ideas much appretiated :oops:

theKiwi

The Admin password is kept in the tng_users table, which is viewable with phpMyAdmin - BUT it's encrypted, so can't be retrieved directly.

The best you could do is delete it using phpMyAdmin so that there is no password.

Or you can use the facility built into TNG to have it reset and a new one eMailed to you.

Roger