TNG Community
rdmorss

Setting up a server on your home computer (localhost)

Tracey

Thank you very much for this guide, it works!!

8)8)8)

Thank you Magna....you are a Godsend! I've been struggling with my installation and your instructions were right on.

Tracey :D

Paul Wake

OK, I'm stuck again. I got this thing partway up on my computer several months ago. I'm trying to do it again from scratch, and have forgotten how I got even that far. Going directly to http://localhost/genealogy/index.php gets me this: "Error: TNG is not communicating with your database. Please check your database settings and try again." Going to file:///C:/wamp/www/genealogy/index.php gets me something that looks like a TNG template layout with lots of PHP strings, some generic text, and no color or pictures. When I tried to run the readme.html file, it can't make a database connection. From Admin, my database tables appear to be set up, though. I've exported an SQL file from my web host of my database, which is currently sitting on my computer desktop. Perhaps I just need to put it in the right place on my home computer. However, I can't recall where it goes. Help?

craig28

Try a WAMP SERVER, all in one local server, works great, very easy to set up.

http://www.wampserver.com/en/index.php

WAMP5 1.4.4 is now delivered with :

- PHP 5.0.4

- Apache 1.3.33

- MySQL 4.1.10a

- PHPmyadmin 2.6.1-pl3

- SQLitemanager 1.0.4

I already have wamp installed. Is there instructions anywhere on how to install TNG into wamp.

Lost :?:

Ken Roy

I already have wamp installed. Is there instructions anywhere on how to install TNG into wamp.

Lost :?:

Probably the easiest way is to use the TNG full install that matches the version of your production site. You can unzip the TNG install files directly into the wamp/www directory and then open the readme.html in your browser pointing to http://localhost/genealogy/readme.html (if you installed in a genealogy subdirectory).

If you have already geocoded locations, the easiest way to synch them is to backup the tables in TNG on your remote site and then restore them in your wamp install. The same is true of the media and media links table.

Allyson

Yet another newbie :-? And with a different problem. I have read all the previous items hoping someone has had the same problem... but no. I have to be unique.

I have:

1) Downloaded XAMPP and installed - getting the programs to 'run' in the control panel

2) Downloaded and unzipped NTG into the appropriate folder.

3) Followed all the instructions in the readme file and referenced the 'Webmaster's Guide to NTG 7.0 Chapter 4 and Appendix A

4) I get as far as setting up my first user (administrator) and save.

As soon as I hit save, I get the log on option. I log on and get... the log on option. Down the left hand nav, I have many options. I choose 'Trees' since it is the next thing on the intruction list to do and ...I get the log on screen.

I have deleted and rerun these processes 6 times now. And I always get the same result.

Any ideas? One question I do have is: Does it matter what drive it is on? I have a partitioned drive and have anot installed this on the C drive, but on another drive where there is almost no other content. That way, the whole thing is isolated from the rest of my PC. IS this the wrong thing to do? I have changed the drive and path for the session.save_path in the php.ini file

I am looking forward to any suggestions

A very desperate newbie from downunder

Allyson

Brett

4) I get as far as setting up my first user (administrator) and save.

As soon as I hit save, I get the log on option. I log on and get... the log on option. Down the left hand nav, I have many options. I choose 'Trees' since it is the next thing on the intruction list to do and ...I get the log on screen.

I have deleted and rerun these processes 6 times now. And I always get the same result.

Allyson

Allyson

Sounds like you are attempting to log in as a regular user from the admin log in screen. There should be a link to the Public login page.

Brett

Allyson

Allyson

Sounds like you are attempting to log in as a regular user from the admin log in screen. There should be a link to the Public login page.

Brett

And when I use the Public Home link, I still get the Log On screen but with no navigation down the left hand side.

Cheers

Allyson

BobA

And when I use the Public Home link, I still get the Log On screen but with no navigation down the left hand side.

Cheers

Allyson

That just may be an issue with where you are trying to log on from.....

in your browser, type in: http://localhost/NAMEOFDIRECTORY/index.php

Where NAMEOFDIRECTORY is the root directory in XAMPP where you installed TNG. That should load the main program, just like you would if you hit it over the internet....in other words, you should see your mainpage plus the login stuff down the left. That is, if you have done your custom mainpage (Sorry, I haven't read your thread that far back)....

IF you are not able to still log in after you have tried to hit the mainpage directly via the method above....I'm not sure if the drive partition is an issue as I have not attempted this kind of login previously....if you have done a new install 6 times now, and still have had no success, maybe it's time to eliminate the drive partition as an issue and install it on the main partition by doing a fresh install....that will tell you right away if it is the drive partition or human error....

Good luck,

/BobA

wacole

I am using XAMPP on a Windows XP system with an external USB hard drive. I have XAMPP says it is up and working. I started the TNG installation and got as far as the Database Tables. I entered the information for Host Name, Database Name, Database username, and Batabase Password and received the following: Information saved but connection failed. One or more of the following is incorrect: host name, db username, db password. I tried the diagnostics in TNG and the only red light was MySQL (server). I then tried to access phpMyadmin thru:

http://localhost/phpmyadmin

Welcome to phpMyAdmin 2.10.1

phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in config.inc.php and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server.

The Database names and password are the same as MySQL.

I checked MySQL and there is no database listed and I can not seem to create one in it. Could someone please give me a hand with this.

Bert

I'm trying to set up XAMPP on XP using the TNG Instructions HTML readme.html page. In almost all cases when pressing any of the buttons, the relevant HTML page, say Step 1, will display "Please wait. Attempting to process ..." and never changes, though, in the case of a couple of buttons - the button that creates the "English" subdirectory and the button that creates the HostName, DatabaseName, DatabaseUserName which did populate the config.inc.php file - did work though the "Please wait ..." message never change. I cannot, though, get Create Database Tables, Step 2 to populate the MySQL tables. Would appreciate any guidance offered.

Thanks very much,

Bill Cole

Ken Roy

I'm trying to set up XAMPP on XP using the TNG Instructions HTML readme.html page. In almost all cases when pressing any of the buttons, the relevant HTML page, say Step 1, will display "Please wait. Attempting to process ..." and never changes, though, in the case of a couple of buttons - the button that creates the "English" subdirectory and the button that creates the HostName, DatabaseName, DatabaseUserName which did populate the config.inc.php file - did work though the "Please wait ..." message never change. I cannot, though, get Create Database Tables, Step 2 to populate the MySQL tables. Would appreciate any guidance offered.

Thanks very much,

Bill Cole

Bill,

Take a look at the TNG Wiki article on Database - Creating. Chances are you have to create the database using phpMyAdmin before you run the readme.html.

wacole

Bill,

Take a look at the TNG Wiki article on Database - Creating. Chances are you have to create the database using phpMyAdmin before you run the readme.html.

Ken, thanks much for the pointer. Will give that a whirl.

Bill Cole

wacole

Bill,

Ken,

I guess I'm slow again today. I read the Wiki article, but it did not explain how to create the tables associated with the database "genealogy". I can see the "genealogy" database on myPHPAdmin as localhost, but it does not contain any tables. One problem may be that while my current log-on has Windows Administrator privileges, the logon is not named "root" which, it seems, is what is expected. Do I created a user account named "root" within XP or is there a native way to access XP's "root" account? I did try the TNG readme.html create tables button again, but it did not work, again.

Thanks very much,

Bill Cole

wacole

Ken,

I guess I'm slow again today. I read the Wiki article, but it did not explain how to create the tables associated with the database "genealogy". I can see the "genealogy" database on myPHPAdmin as localhost, but it does not contain any tables. One problem may be that while my current log-on has Windows Administrator privileges, the logon is not named "root" which, it seems, is what is expected. Do I created a user account named "root" within XP or is there a native way to access XP's "root" account? I did try the TNG readme.html create tables button again, but it did not work, again.

Thanks very much,

Bill Cole

Solved.. was trying to open readme.html from the file manager rather than using http://localhost/genealogy/readme.html.

It pays to read the instructions sometimes!

I apologize about the wild goose chase.

Bill Cole

msohlberg

This is all good stuff. I've had TNG running on a home computer using DSL and Dynamic DNS for years with one exception. I have NEVER been able to make email work through TNG. It's probably due to the dynamic IP address but all mail is rejected by my ISP. I have asked on this forum before if there is anyone who successfully but haven't gotten any response. I am geneally pretty good with tech stuff, but somehow this email thing escapes me.

PLEASE.... if there is anyone that has this working under my setup, contact me either here or off forum at msohlberg@att.net

Thanks

Martin

skibo187

This is all good stuff. I've had TNG running on a home computer using DSL and Dynamic DNS for years with one exception. I have NEVER been able to make email work through TNG. It's probably due to the dynamic IP address but all mail is rejected by my ISP. I have asked on this forum before if there is anyone who successfully but haven't gotten any response. I am geneally pretty good with tech stuff, but somehow this email thing escapes me.

PLEASE.... if there is anyone that has this working under my setup, contact me either here or off forum at msohlberg@att.net

Thanks

Martin

Can u explain to me how you got the Dynamic DNS working correctly please,

Thanks in advance

Skibo

OscarMisty

I have now been trying to install TNG on my Mac for a good 3 hours without no success.

I installed MAMP 3.5 and subsequently managed to install a similar web-based application which runs perfectly.  SO I thought I would give TNG a try but so far no luck just getting it to talk to MySQL, even to the already set up database.  

I keep getting an error and being told to wait while it is attempting to process.  Any help/tips/guidance would be appreciated.  I have looked through the forums and tried to follow other people as well but everything seems to fail.

Many thanks

theKiwi

Have you looked in the MAMP forums?

Have you got the right settings for the database in the TNG Admin ------> Setup ------> Database?

What shows if you look in the file called config.php for the first few lines that contain the database connection information?

Can you get to TNG Admin ------> Setup ------> Diagnostics?

If so, are all the free lights on?

Roger

OscarMisty

Roger - thanks for the quick response but somehow, don't ask me how, but it has just installed fine - the only thing I did differently was not rename the unzipped folder.  Anyway, I have already imported the gedcom file and now I can start to enjoy myself!  

Thanks again for your help

cralph1950

I have the Wamp Server working, but when I go to PHP to setup database , that's where I get lost. I have project named TNG11 but when I hit it on the local webpage I get "....check address,,, cannot be found. It would be nice to have a published guide to help people like me who only want a local host and and don't have the understanding of this stuff like others.

When a thread talks about both, Local Host and Live website that is confusing for some of us. If some one would be so kind as to give that sort of direction it would be highly appreciated and I would buy them a drink if we ever met!

Ralph

Chris Lloyd

This thread is now so old Ralph, I would suggest that you start a new one.

All servers whether online and paid for or at home on a pc use localhost.

Live website generally means availble to view by anyone.

Ken Roy
15 minutes ago, cralph1950 said:

I have the Wamp Server working, but when I go to PHP to setup database , that's where I get lost. I have project named TNG11 but when I hit it on the local webpage I get "....check address,,, cannot be found. It would be nice to have a published guide to help people like me who only want a local host and and don't have the understanding of this stuff like others.

You might want to look at the Database - Creating article.  Sometimes you have to create the database ahead of time before you tell TNG where it is.

Ellsinore

I'm not a newbie to "localhost" but I'm pulling my hair out trying to get my GEDCOM imported.  Using XAMPP on Windows 7 TNG 10.

When I choose the GEDCOM file directly, I get "Could not upload file: tng.ged. Your 'gedcom' folder may have inadequate permissions (try 755 or 777)." and cannot seem to find the right security properties combinations for the folder, or get them to stick.  Since it's Windows and not UNIX, the suggested permissions are irrelevant, but I'm used to that.  So I've always just used "Select from GEDCOM" folder.

But now when I do that, I get "chdir(): No such file or directory".  The folder is on the list, but I can't select it.  Just for kicks, I tried to have TNG create the folder, but THEN it says it already exists.  :-D

Everything works fine on the production server but I want to test some changes locally before uploading them live.  

Ken Roy

When you say "Select from GEDCOM" folder what do you mean?  The Import / Export screen has a Browse button or "  OR  From web site (in GEDCOM folder): " which you must define in the Setup > Import Settings

Ellsinore
On 6/3/2018 at 5:16 PM, Ken Roy said:

When you say "Select from GEDCOM" folder what do you mean?  The Import / Export screen has a Browse button or "  OR  From web site (in GEDCOM folder): " which you must define in the Setup > Import Settings

tng_02.png

tng_01.png