TNG Community
rdmorss

Setting up a server on your home computer (localhost)

GWood

Larry,

Here is what I do to make it as easy as I can. First, I have a separate folder on my localhost, under backups simply called bak. When I have everything the way I want it on my localhost, with any changes to the files, I use the TNG backup utility to backup the tables. The one I do not backup is the user table (accidently over wrote some users once with an older table). Once the backup is complete I open my FTP program. I place the current live site backup into the /backups/bak folder. I then overwrite all of the backup files from the /backup folder to the live site backup folder. (For security I call this folder /memtime) Once the files are there I go to the live site admin, utility and select all tables except users and restore. Just like that everything is restored to the live site. I then FTP any new photos, headstones, cemeteries, etc. and I am done.

Reading what I typed it sure sounds harder than it is. This is basically about a 5 to 10 minute process and has so far been without a hitch as far as operation. The backup/restore utility has been my cheater tool for about three weeks now.

Best of luck. Nice looking site you have developed, by the way.

Gary

LR Majercin

Larry,

[snip]

Reading what I typed it sure sounds harder than it is. This is basically about a 5 to 10 minute process and has so far been without a hitch as far as operation. The backup/restore utility has been my cheater tool for about three weeks now.

Gary

Gary, thanks for the tip. I think you set a record for use of the work "Back" in one paragraph!!

But, it made sense (on the third read)!!

Also, thanks for the compliment on the site, but I am gearing up to make it look much cleaner as my php education comes about.

I would like to create better accessiblilty to the town databases I've been working on.

I've 'adopted' an old ancesteral coal mining town in Illinois, and have been transcribing old phone books, and city directories as time allows.

Never been to Streator, but I feel like I've been there my whole life!

Regards,

Larry Majercin

Majercin Family Genealogy Resource

Rich Moberly

Newbie here. Installed wamp5. pretty cool. just am new to linux, MySQL, and PHP. Got TNG loaded and am working through the readme files. Darrin is so fast on the responses. Now that I have joined the forum, I don't plan to bother him much. Forums are so full of information.

so much to learn. thanks for the input already.

rich moberly

oklahoma

skype rtmoberly

Guest stores

Another Newbie here, after reading all the posts on Wamp5, I gave it a try and after a couple of days I have successfully Installed Wamp5. I then downloaded my online installation of TNG and installed it under Wamp5 on a home computer (PC running Windows XP Pro) and I now have it up and running with only a couple of problems I have not been able to figure out.

My online installation of TNG works just fine with no problems but perhaps someone can help me to correct one of the problems I am having with my Wamp5 TNG instillation. The problem is as follows:

All menu items work fine with the exception of "Dates & Anniversaries". When I do a search that includes a date i.e. 1 May or 2 May I get back "No Results Found", but if I remove the day i.e. 1 or 2 and just search for events in May, or births in May, it works fine. I have close to 20, 000 people in the tree and I do have events that occurred on 1 and 2 May. I have played with this for two days and cannot figure it out.

As a side note, I noticed today that when viewing the "Statistics" menu option, which does work, however, under "Longest Lived", on my wamp5 TNG instillation, only years are shown vice years and days which show for some people on my online TNG installation. I feel this is probably related to the anniversaries issue as well.

Jim Holt

Louisiana

www.josephoranholtz.com

johnmc

Gary

I was taken by the words "external hard drive". It could be the answer to my need for portability without internet access to my website. I have a Desktop running XP and a Laptop running Vista Home Premium. Is your external Hard drive USB, and if not could a local host work on such from both computers. The laptop would only be used for portable access.

Regards

Johnmac

gleehan

Another Newbie here, after reading all the posts on Wamp5, I gave it a try and after a couple of days I have successfully Installed Wamp5. I then downloaded my online installation of TNG and installed it under Wamp5 on a home computer (PC running Windows XP Pro) and I now have it up and running with only a couple of problems I have not been able to figure out.

My online installation of TNG works just fine with no problems but perhaps someone can help me to correct one of the problems I am having with my Wamp5 TNG instillation. The problem is as follows:

All menu items work fine with the exception of "Dates & Anniversaries". When I do a search that includes a date i.e. 1 May or 2 May I get back "No Results Found", but if I remove the day i.e. 1 or 2 and just search for events in May, or births in May, it works fine. I have close to 20, 000 people in the tree and I do have events that occurred on 1 and 2 May. I have played with this for two days and cannot figure it out.

As a side note, I noticed today that when viewing the "Statistics" menu option, which does work, however, under "Longest Lived", on my wamp5 TNG instillation, only years are shown vice years and days which show for some people on my online TNG installation. I feel this is probably related to the anniversaries issue as well.

Jim Holt

Louisiana

www.josephoranholtz.com

For what it's worth... May 9 pulls up 4 individuals on my WAMP5 installation... it sounds like a character set or formatting issue... do dates display as expected in individual data?

PS... my WAMP5/TNG problem is with linked photos... I get a list of datatype warnings on pages with linked photos... but then the page displays correctly below. Any similar experiences?

GWood

John,

The external is a USB run drive and should be able to transfer between the computers yet I am not sure how to best set it up for both XP and Vista operation. Wish I could be more help with that. The drive travels well, however.

Gary

johnmc

John,

The external is a USB run drive and should be able to transfer between the computers yet I am not sure how to best set it up for both XP and Vista operation. Wish I could be more help with that. The drive travels well, however.

Gary

I am ready to start this project. The only thing I am puzzled by is what version of Xampp is best to use. I only intend to download backup files from my site and install them in the local USB hard drive installation.

Is there any reason not to use the current version of Xammp?

Regards to all

JohnM

Guest Bert

I am using XAMPP on a Windows XP system with an external USB hard drive. I have XAMPP says it is up and working. I started the TNG installation and got as far as the Database Tables. I entered the information for Host Name, Database Name, Database username, and Batabase Password and received the following: Information saved but connection failed. One or more of the following is incorrect: host name, db username, db password. I tried the diagnostics in TNG and the only red light was MySQL (server). I then tried to access phpMyadmin thru:

http://localhost/phpmyadmin

Welcome to phpMyAdmin 2.10.1

phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in config.inc.php and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server.

The Database names and password are the same as MySQL.

I checked MySQL and there is no database listed and I can not seem to create one in it. Could someone please give me a hand with this.

Bert

René Besamusca

Reloaded XAMPP and all seems to work now.

Bert

For all "brave" ones among us, give http://www.usbwebserver.nl/site/ a try (sorry, mostly in Dutch)

Albeit not with a "strong" support as we are familliar from Darrin, it gives you a fully featured portable websever on a USB stick, featuring;

Features as of version 6.0

* Apache 2.2.0 (Win32)

* MySQL 5.0

* PHP 5.1.6

* PHPMyAdmin 2.9.0-rc1

I do not have any connections with the developer of this set, but found it usefull on several development occasions. You need to be familiar with the A.M.P. set though.

Rene

Guest Bert

Thanks Rene. Yes, I think I saw that post. I am using a USB hard drive but would work the same I expect.

Bert

Cameron

While downloading this program, my antivirus program warned that it contains adware.

:-(

Try a WAMP SERVER, all in one local server, works great, very easy to set up.

http://www.wampserver.com/en/index.php

WAMP5 1.4.4 is now delivered with :

- PHP 5.0.4

- Apache 1.3.33

- MySQL 4.1.10a

- PHPmyadmin 2.6.1-pl3

- SQLitemanager 1.0.4

magna

While downloading this program, my antivirus program warned that it contains adware.

:-(

I have this week downloaded Wamp Server and it works fine

no Virus found by Kapersky

Install on Win XP System

Download and install Wamp Server-- http://www.wampserver.com/en/

Make a TNG Folder in installed drive-number:/wamp/www/

For instance I called it "Geneology" in drive H:

H:/wamp/www/geneology

Copy all files from tngfiles620.zip attached into Geneology Directory

Left click on Loaded Server Wamp Icon in Bottom Tray

Click Localhost

A Wamp Server screen will load scroll down to

"Your Projects"

Should list a Folder Geneology

Click the Folder Geneology

Load---Localhost/geneology/readme.html (you have to enter

readme.html to the string)

Then Continue with the Instructions within the Program

Inportant only enter the Entrys Below!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for Home

Computer Install Only

Host Name: localhost

Database Name: Geneology

Database Username: root

Database Password Leave Blank !!!

Then (Save and Verify)

Continue with Instuctions

When Finished

Click Localhost

"Your Projects"

And the TNG Program Loads

Good Luck

Magna

Paul Wake

I'm having some difficulty. Downloaded WAMP and put it on my PC. Downloaded another copy of TNG, extracted it, renamed the folder "genealogy," and put it in the WWW folder in the WAMP folder. Used my web browser to go to the readme file to do installation, and I'm stopped at permissions (hitting the "set permissions" button doesn't do it). What am I missing? (Using an FTP program to view the files doesn't do any good, because it doesn't give me a set permissions option for these files.)

--

Paul Wake

www.xmission.com/~wake/genealogy/index.php

John Paul

I'm having some difficulty. Downloaded WAMP and put it on my PC. Downloaded another copy of TNG, extracted it, renamed the folder "genealogy," and put it in the WWW folder in the WAMP folder. Used my web browser to go to the readme file to do installation, and I'm stopped at permissions (hitting the "set permissions" button doesn't do it). What am I missing? (Using an FTP program to view the files doesn't do any good, because it doesn't give me a set permissions option for these files.)

--

Paul Wake

www.xmission.com/~wake/genealogy/index.php

Paul, you shouldn't have to set permissions in windows.

Paul Wake

Paul, you shouldn't have to set permissions in windows.

Ahh, that should be obvious now that you mention it. Thanks.

Paul Wake

Could I get a little guidance on how to get the database to set up?

BobA

Could I get a little guidance on how to get the database to set up?

Paul,

I exported an empty copy my database from my "public" website into an "empty" .sql file, then copied it to my laptop and "Imported" it into my WAMP2 sql database. This worked fine for me. Since I am working on the e107 integration stuff on my laptop, I didn't need the full databases at this time (with all my genealogy information). I would suppose you could copy the entire backup folder on your website to your WAMP2 installation and import it into your mySQL database as well, but I didn't try that.

If this helps, I'm attaching my "empty" database tables. This was done with mySQL version 5.0.51a-community-nt. I started by left clicking on the wampserver icon in my task tray and selecting phpMyAdmin. Once the admin web page opened, I selected Import in the main window (not left side menu). I pointed to my file and then mySQL imported it. This particular file import will create a table called genealogy. You should be good to go from there with a properly formatted blank database called genealogy.

As I said, I didn't try to bring everything over (all my data from my main website), but I would assume that this procedure would work the same way with full data files. I don't know as I didn't try it.

Good luck!

PS - the forum system will not allow me to attach a file with the extension of .sql, so I have changed the file extension to .txt - you will need to rename the file extension to .sql after you download it.

mysqlAncestry.txt

Paul Wake

Thanks for the help. I believe I was using the wrong tool; I should've used phpMyAdmin to deal with the databases instead of trying to figure out the SQL parts of WAMP. I have the databases up, and transferred a backup of the online database down to my hard drive, and restored it there. Now it mostly works. The maps, for example, show up since the location information is in the database. However, although several of the photos I copied to the hard drive's photo folder show up in the appropriate parts of the local TNG, most of the photos don't show up. I don't get that. Has anyone else dealt with that?

If I can get this to work, I'll drag the computer up to a family reunion (where there won't be internet access) and get people to contribute information. Then I'll try to figure out how to customize my own look rather than a template look; that ought to be a challenge all by itself.

BobA

Thanks for the help. I believe I was using the wrong tool; I should've used phpMyAdmin to deal with the databases instead of trying to figure out the SQL parts of WAMP. I have the databases up, and transferred a backup of the online database down to my hard drive, and restored it there. Now it mostly works. The maps, for example, show up since the location information is in the database. However, although several of the photos I copied to the hard drive's photo folder show up in the appropriate parts of the local TNG, most of the photos don't show up. I don't get that. Has anyone else dealt with that?

If I can get this to work, I'll drag the computer up to a family reunion (where there won't be internet access) and get people to contribute information. Then I'll try to figure out how to customize my own look rather than a template look; that ought to be a challenge all by itself.

Paul, you are most welcome. It's nice to be able to help out others for a change instead of asking for help! :D

It does get kind of tricky going back and forth between all the elements. I'm still stuck on an integration issue with my E107 test server, but am traveling and don't have the time to get to it....pretty soon hopefully.

I also had a problem with my photos coming over correctly. I never did solve it as I changed the directory structure and relabeled them all. I didn't realize that the thumbnail photos would be listed in the photos section as well when you look at all the stuff there....I created a directory under photos called thumbs and regenerated everything from scratch to fix it. Thank goodness that there were only 20 or so photos in all...it looks much better now. If you get to the bottom of this one, let me know.

Thanks and good luck dragging the gear to the family reunion!

holbek

I have this week downloaded Wamp Server and it works fine

no Virus found by Kapersky

Install on Win XP System

Download and install Wamp Server-- http://www.wampserver.com/en/

Make a TNG Folder in installed drive-number:/wamp/www/

For instance I called it "Geneology" in drive H:

H:/wamp/www/geneology

Copy all files from tngfiles620.zip attached into Geneology Directory

Click Localhost

"Your Projects"

Should list a Folder Geneology

Load---Localhost/geneology/readme.html (you have to enter

readme.html to the string)

Then Continue with the Instructions within the Program

Inportant only enter the Entrys Below!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for Home

Computer Install Only

Host Name: localhost

Database Name: Geneology

Database Username: root

Database Password Leave Blank !!!

Then (Save and Verify)

Continue with Instuctions

When Finished

Click Localhost

"Your Projects"

And the TNG Program Loads

Good Luck

Magna

Thank you very much for this guide, it works!!

8)8)8)

Frans Erich

Hello genealogy experts,

There is no longer the need to install en configure all kind of servers and add-on items. Just download my MOD from the TNG download site:

http://tng.lythgoes.net/downloads7/index.php

Under "TNG Extras" you can find "TNG on a USB drive".

Simply download and extract to a local or flash drive and run the Mowes.exe executable and you will have a complete running envoirnment based on Apache2 with ImageMagick, MySQL5, PHP5, PHPMyAdmin and TNG 7.01 pre-installed on it. Just add data and templates and up you go.

Please tell me what you think of it.

Frans Erich

D.M. de Calonne

Please tell me what you think of it.

Frans Erich

Well Frans,

I (am going to) love it, thank you! I downloaded it a few days ago, tried it for a few seconds. The server worked fine and I saw the TNG-index. Haven't had the time to set TNG up decently and import data etc. though, will do that soon.

D&=

peaseblossom

Larry,

Here is what I do to make it as easy as I can. First, I have a separate folder on my localhost, under backups simply called bak. When I have everything the way I want it on my localhost, with any changes to the files, I use the TNG backup utility to backup the tables. The one I do not backup is the user table (accidently over wrote some users once with an older table). Once the backup is complete I open my FTP program. I place the current live site backup into the /backups/bak folder. I then overwrite all of the backup files from the /backup folder to the live site backup folder. (For security I call this folder /memtime) Once the files are there I go to the live site admin, utility and select all tables except users and restore. Just like that everything is restored to the live site. I then FTP any new photos, headstones, cemeteries, etc. and I am done.

Gary

I tried this for the first time today. It worked beautifully and could not have been easier.

Thanks!

Tonia