TNG Community
rdmorss

Setting up a server on your home computer (localhost)

rdmorss

For those of you who would like to set up a web server on your home computer, here is a website with good instructions that got me up and running.

http://www.ricocheting.com/server/

Apache web server, PHP, and mySQL are all freely available. You could also add Perl to your server (for CGI scripts) if you want a complete tool set, although it is not needed for TNG.

I find that having my own localhost server is a boon to web application development, since I don't have to have everything "live" on the web until it is all done.

theKiwi

Here's a page that addressses setting up PHP and mySQL on Mac OS X. The article is a little dated now (it was published in November 2002 when Mac OS X 10.1 was around still) but it's all relevant.

http://www.macworld.com/2002/11/features/database/

it includes links to installer packages you need and instructions for Terminal to set things up.

Disclaimer - I haven't followed these instructions from scratch on Mac OS X 10.3 - I installed it on one computer under 10.1 and another under 10.2 - both of which have been upgraded to 10.3.

Cheers

Roger

PhilD

You can download a package such as Apache2Triad http://apache2triad.sourceforge.net/

Install the package then install TNG in the htdocs folder following the setup instructions. Your all set. The package has all the required programs and is easier than trying to get everything to work together if installed seperatly

The package also includes a nice interface for administering the various files and programs.

Phil D

cuhullainn

Being a newbie with TNG, php..etc although quite familiar with "standard" html coding, you can imagine my struggle having a slow internet connection!

I searched and discovered a handy way to install a localhost, hph and MySQL all through a single install:

EasyPHP 1.7 : http://www.easyphp.org/index.php3

as for the documentation through easy dumbguide, check this site:

http://www.canowhoopass.com/guides/easyphp/index.php

Great stuff, especially over the week end, when your ISP host helpline is shut down and you want to get cracking and customize your TNG site!!!

Greetings from Ireland and Merry Christmas to all

theKiwi

Disclaimer - I haven't followed these instructions from scratch on Mac OS X 10.3 - I installed it on one computer under 10.1 and another under 10.2 - both of which have been upgraded to 10.3.

I have since done this on a computer with Mac OS X 10.3.6 installed and the instructions are still correct to get PHP enabled and mySQL installed and running.

And other sites I've found that have installers and help for getting Apache/PHP/mySQL running on Mac OS X include

http://www.entropy.ch/ (currently in a minimalist state while the site is rebuilt)

and

http://www.phpmac.com/

Cheers

Roger

klooster

Try a WAMP SERVER, all in one local server, works great, very easy to set up.

http://www.wampserver.com/en/index.php

WAMP5 1.4.4 is now delivered with :

- PHP 5.0.4

- Apache 1.3.33

- MySQL 4.1.10a

- PHPmyadmin 2.6.1-pl3

- SQLitemanager 1.0.4

tomjj

I use XAMPP for MacOS X. Full installer package, Works well here is the link:

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-macosx.html

Free by the way

Gary Dickey

If you leave out the last part (xampp-macosx.html) you'll end up at the overall XAMPP page in English, with an overview of all the available XAMPP-packages.

I used the Windows version, and was pleasantly surprised with a full working Apache - php - mySQL system running on my local machine in less than 30 minutes.

The only thing to check is a IIS web server you may have running: Windows cannot accommodate two webservers on one pc, so you need to switch off the IIS webserver. It should be possible to configure IIS to interpret php pages, but I found it a lot easier to stick to the Apache server.

plumfine

I've set up my home server for testing before I transfer everything to my online server. I've followed all the excellent links you guys have provided and now have everything working except for a few glitches. I know I'm overlooking something and could use a bit of advice because I'm a total newbie on this.

I can easily access admin/index.php and have successfully setup my tables in my database, created folders and set permissions. However, I can't see any of the other .php files in the tng files, just a blank page. What am I missing?

:oops: Never mind, I didn't check those other .php pages after I created my tables....now they work! I don't understand why but I'm very happy it works now.

Pat Webster

Ken Roy

This is new forum topic is great! :) I wish it would have been here in October when I built my environment the hard way, installing one product at a time. It would have saved me some grief.

Thanks to everyone for sharing.

Ken

Nancy

Hi. I am new to this and I am totally lost. I have downloaded the TNG files and now I have downloaded the WAMP sight. Where do I go from here? I have never done anything like this before and I could really use some guidance.

Thank you,

Nancy~~

I have since done this on a computer with Mac OS X 10.3.6 installed and the instructions are still correct to get PHP enabled and mySQL installed and running.

And other sites I've found that have installers and help for getting Apache/PHP/mySQL running on Mac OS X include

http://www.entropy.ch/ (currently in a minimalist state while the site is rebuilt)

and

http://www.phpmac.com/

Cheers

Roger

GWood

Hi. I am new to this and I am totally lost. I have downloaded the TNG files and now I have downloaded the WAMP sight. Where do I go from here? I have never done anything like this before and I could really use some guidance.

Thank you,

Nancy~~

Hi Nancy,

I have not used WAMP, I use the XAMPP install which was very easy. WAMP should be similiar. I will give some basic steps. I installed mine on an external hard drive but I will assume you are using your computer's C: drive for these steps.

1 - Set up a folder in your C: root directory. (C:\wamp)

2 - Unzip your WAMP to this directory.

3 - Follow the install procedures that came with your WAMP download. This should install your Apache server, MySQL, PHP and probably a MyPHPadmin area. Pay attention to the directions guidance on your proper port settings.

4 - Go to the Control Center and set your security settings for each port as exceptions to any security software you have running.

5 - Once the WAMP install is working and you can manuever through it successfully you will be ready to actually install TNG on your localhost. You should be able to access it through your Firefox or IE browser by typing the address; http://localhost (enter)

6 - You will need to setup a MySQL database for your genealogy. Make sure you note the name and user name and password you assign as you will need this for the TNG install.

7 - In the WAMP directory there should be a folder that was created during install titled htdocs. Something like (C:\wamp\htdocs\) The TNG will go into a folder below htdocs. Call the folder what you like, mine is called 'famgen' for example.

8 - Install TNG by following the install instructions. Insead of FTPing files to the webserver you will be installing it in the directory you created in the previous step.

9 - Once the TNG is unzipped into that directory you can use your browser to launch the readme file that guides you through the creation of subfolders, tables and more. The main caveat is when the TNG install asks for the server name you will need to put in 'localhost: 3306' as 3306 represents the port WAMP sets as your access. From there continue the install procedure. When done you should be able to access it by pointing your browser to something like; http://loacalhost/famgen/

It sounds like a lot. The main thing I would encourage you to do is take it very slow, one successful step at a time. Keep a notepad to write down information and structure as you go so you can refer back to it. If you are a coffee or tea drinker plan on enjoying a few cups while you do this.

Hope this helps and I am sure some others with much more experience than me will add simpler steps.

Best to you,

Gary

Nancy

Gary:

Thank you so much for direction on this. I will sit down with patience and see what I can come up with on here. I know when it is all done, iit will be alot to be proud of.

Thanks again,

Nancy~~

ros77uk

It sounds like a lot. The main thing I would encourage you to do is take it very slow, one successful step at a time. Keep a notepad to write down information and structure as you go so you can refer back to it. If you are a coffee or tea drinker plan on enjoying a few cups while you do this.

Hope this helps and I am sure some others with much more experience than me will add simpler steps.

Thanks, Gary for your nice-and-easy steps. For another (very excited) newbie: it sounds an excellent idea to have a server set up on your home computer for checking-before-TNG-goes-live - but does said home computer have to be a certain size, have a certain size memory, certain OS etc?

Ros

John Paul

Thanks, Gary for your nice-and-easy steps. For another (very excited) newbie: it sounds an excellent idea to have a server set up on your home computer for checking-before-TNG-goes-live - but does said home computer have to be a certain size, have a certain size memory, certain OS etc?

Ros

ros, all-in-one apps like xamp, wamp, apache2triad, can be run on windows xp or 2000, with pretty much any fairly decent machine, ie, 10-20gb harddrive, 256mb ram. If you have any geek in you, you could try justa bout any flavor of linux out there. Personally, I use a dell gx150 pIII 1.0 ghz 512mb ram (this machine is about 4-5 years old with a little bit of hardware upgrades....), 120gb hd for my webserver, running under linux fedora core 4, apache/php/mysql/phpmyadmin. If you referring to something older than that, please post the specs....

ros77uk

ros, all-in-one apps like xamp, wamp, apache2triad, can be run on windows xp or 2000, with pretty much any fairly decent machine, ie, 10-20gb harddrive, 256mb ram. If you have any geek in you, you could try justa bout any flavor of linux out there. Personally, I use a dell gx150 pIII 1.0 ghz 512mb ram (this machine is about 4-5 years old with a little bit of hardware upgrades....), 120gb hd for my webserver, running under linux fedora core 4, apache/php/mysql/phpmyadmin. If you referring to something older than that, please post the specs....

Many many thanks. I am now rubbing my hands with glee in anticipation! When I have stopped doing this, I will make a start...

Ros

Dell 1100, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, 1Gb RAM, 70Gb hard drive, XP Pro - and all under 2 weeks old!

John Paul

Many many thanks. I am now rubbing my hands with glee in anticipation! When I have stopped doing this, I will make a start...

Ros

Dell 1100, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, 1Gb RAM, 70Gb hard drive, XP Pro - and all under 2 weeks old!

hehehe 8-) that box should rock!

GWood

Nancy and Ros,

Best of luck to both of you. It really is a matter of reading all the readme and install files and just taking a single step at a time while soon you will both look back and your journey will be complete. Ros, as John Paul stated so well...that machine should rock!

Hoping all goes smoothly for each of you.

Janice

I started over from the beginning using WAMP. It couldn't have been easier, and is working perfectly! I sure wish I did that yesterday morning!

Janice

John Paul

I started over from the beginning using WAMP. It couldn't have been easier, and is working perfectly! I sure wish I did that yesterday morning!

Janice

See, this stuff ain't so hard! Let us know if you need any help with anything....

LR Majercin

I too have just entered the realm of WAMP and TNG, and must say that other than a few glitches, I now have a complete localhost server on my machine.

My biggest problem was that port 3306 was blocked by Norton Internet Security, thus keeping mySQL and phpMyAdmin from working.

One question for the group regarding mySQL databases:

I have copied my server databases (TNG and other databases) onto my local machine and can edit them locally or from the server using phpMyadmin (my ISP uses phpMyAdmin on their site to manage mySQL).

Q: What is the easiest/best way for me to copy a revised table from my local computer to my server?

Again, I am using WAMP5, and from the ISP I have access to phpMyadmin.

Regards,

Larry Majercin

Majercin Genealogy Resource.

John Paul

Q: What is the easiest/best way for me to copy a revised table from my local computer to my server?

Again, I am using WAMP5, and from the ISP I have access to phpMyadmin.

Larry, the best way is not always the easiest....and I'm sure there is probably an easier way, but what i've done in the past, and I know this works....

First, make a backup of your database. I cannot stress this enough.

Export the particular table(s) to a .sql file (simply check the box next to the table(s) you want to export, then click Export and follow the prompts, it's fairly self-explanatory), then use the import function to import said .sql file to your database on your server. Let me know if you need a little more detail than that.

LR Majercin

John Paul, Thanks for the advise. I guess I knew that I was looking for the "best" way, but threw in "easiest" incase there was a magic wand button!!

Also, thanks for the reminder regarding backing up the database prior to exporting. I admit to being lazy in the past, and not doing this. All I need is to see 10 years of research and data entry go "poof".

Regards, Larry

John Paul

John Paul, Thanks for the advise. I guess I knew that I was looking for the "best" way, but threw in "easiest" incase there was a magic wand button!!

Also, thanks for the reminder regarding backing up the database prior to exporting. I admit to being lazy in the past, and not doing this. All I need is to see 10 years of research and data entry go "poof".

Regards, Larry

Hey man, I'm the same way (lazy), but I learned the hardway like most of us about the backups. Let us know how the db update goes!