TNG Community

Best Place to put things . .

susanr

I am trying to figure out the best way to sort the number of documents, records, etc that I have into the program.

Like right now, under documents, I have put things like: birth records, death, marriage, obits, military records.

Under history: Census forms, newspaper articles, pictures of churchs either built or attended by family.

I have several Census forms I would like to put up as well as the Family home in Finland along with a story about how it was taken over by the Russians in the Winter War (I assume that is a history). Should the military records (registration papers, death notice, etc ) be in history or documents?

How does everyone else sort their papers. I am trying to make it easier for my elderly relatives to look at.

Thanks.

Susan

To me, documents are items that are not narrative, but rather document particular information - copies of vital records, census returns, newspaper items (shipping notices for example, or death notices). They are usually represented by a scanned image of the item.

Histories are more narrative, and are represented as text rather than images.

That said though, there is at times some blurring. You can see how I've tried to sort mine out

http://roger.lisaandroger.com/browsemedia....ypeID=histories

and

http://roger.lisaandroger.com/browsemedia....ree=&page=3

Note that the last item in each case is my great great grandfather's will - in one place a transcription of it, in the other scanned images of photocopies of it.

Cheers

Roger

thanks, it is good to see how others do it. Your site looks very nice.

I will have to move somethings around and now I know where to put the story of "How my Father caused a rabbit population to grow in Central Park" :-D

Susan

thanks, it is good to see how others do it. Your site looks very nice.

I will have to move somethings around and now I know where to put the story of "How my Father caused a rabbit population to grow in Central Park" :-D

Susan

Susan,

You can also add new mediatypes to organize your documentation. I added census images, original records, newspaper clippings, and World War I Draft Cards to mine for example. TNG allows all sorts of flexibility. I did mine to help me organize the information on the server.

• 2 years later...

To me, documents are items that are not narrative, but rather document particular information - copies of vital records, census returns, newspaper items (shipping notices for example, or death notices). They are usually represented by a scanned image of the item.

Histories are more narrative, and are represented as text rather than images.

That said though, there is at times some blurring. You can see how I've tried to sort mine out

http://roger.lisaandroger.com/browsemedia....ypeID=histories

and

http://roger.lisaandroger.com/browsemedia....ree=&page=3

Note that the last item in each case is my great great grandfather's will - in one place a transcription of it, in the other scanned images of photocopies of it.

Cheers

Roger

Thanks - this helped me too. I took a look at your site and now want to ask how you handled those census records. Did you add it an an event linked to each person and then typed the details from the census record. I took a snapshot so you are sure what I am asking about.

Can I ask for even more help? Are these the right steps for census records: add the source, then add the document, then link the document to the source, then link the source to the person? I have lots of documents and photos I want to add but want to get a clear picture in my head of how to proceed before I start pounding away.

When I find a census record I take the following steps in my desktop genealogy software - Reunion for Macintosh.

Create a Source for this census record - every census record gets a new source

In a text editor I type up a transcription of the relevant lines, getting all the columns lined up etc.

Copy that block of text and paste it into the "freeform" field for the source.

Fill in the other fields in the source - where, when, etc

Edit the image of the source - often I put yellow highlighting over the relevant lines

Link the image to the Source.

Go to the first individual that is listed in the census, and create an event for the census in their record with date, place and Memo (notes) where I again paste the transcription.

Link the source to that event.

Save the record, then reopen the record.

Now (this may well be unique to Reunion) I can copy that whole event entry from one person, including the Source and paste it into the record of all the other people on the census - so I only have to type it all out once.

This is the entry that shows as you've got it above with the census event and transcription showing.

Then in Reunion's Multimedia window I then link up the census image - it is this entry that appears in the Documents section of a person's page on my site.

Roger

When I find a census record I take the following steps in my desktop genealogy software - Reunion for Macintosh.

Create a Source for this census record - every census record gets a new source

In a text editor I type up a transcription of the relevant lines, getting all the columns lined up etc.

Copy that block of text and paste it into the "freeform" field for the source.

Fill in the other fields in the source - where, when, etc

Edit the image of the source - often I put yellow highlighting over the relevant lines

Link the image to the Source.

Go to the first individual that is listed in the census, and create an event for the census in their record with date, place and Memo (notes) where I again paste the transcription.

Link the source to that event.

Save the record, then reopen the record.

Now (this may well be unique to Reunion) I can copy that whole event entry from one person, including the Source and paste it into the record of all the other people on the census - so I only have to type it all out once.

This is the entry that shows as you've got it above with the census event and transcription showing.

Then in Reunion's Multimedia window I then link up the census image - it is this entry that appears in the Documents section of a person's page on my site.

Roger

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this. Very much appreciated.

Mary