TNG Community

Privacy settings: living still showing no matter what the privacy setting

Bonnie

In the administration panel>> Configuration >> General Settings >> Privacy, I set things up like so:

Require login: YES

Show LDS data: NEVER

Show Living Data: NEVER

Show Names for Living: NO

And yet, when I went in under my test user account I could see all my living individuals. I double-checked my GEDCOM file to make sure the individuals were not marked as "has died." Then I double-checked my test user account settings to make sure that account was not allowed to see the living.

Then I noticed the living people who were still showing up were those who didn't have any birthdates listed in the GEDCOM file. (I'd removed their birthdates as a precaution before importing the GEDCOM, because I wanted to make sure TNG would hide their info!)

Perhaps this will help somebody else!

In the administration panel>> Configuration >> General Settings >> Privacy, I set things up like so:

Require login: YES

Show LDS data: NEVER

Show Living Data: NEVER

Show Names for Living: NO

And yet, when I went in under my test user account I could see all my living individuals. I double-checked my GEDCOM file to make sure the individuals were not marked as "has died." Then I double-checked my test user account settings to make sure that account was not allowed to see the living.

Then I noticed the living people who were still showing up were those who didn't have any birthdates listed in the GEDCOM file. (I'd removed their birthdates as a precaution before importing the GEDCOM, because I wanted to make sure TNG would hide their info!)

Perhaps this will help somebody else!

Bonnie,

Since TNG requires birthdates in order to decide whether someone is living, (based on birth within last 110 years), I would recommend that you set your options as

Show Living Data: Depending on User Rights

Show Names for Living: No

Do not remove living people's information when you export your gedcom. TNG will assign Living flags to anyone born in the last 110 years who does not have a death date. You can also set the Living flags manually, but if you do then you should also use the Backup/Restore Living Flags script. (search forum for entry).

Thanks, Ken, for that response. I'll do as you recommend. It also caught all those 1700-1800 individuals I didn't have birthdates for.

I had assumed TNG would use the "1 DEAT Y" tag to determine whether someone was living or not. (By the way, is that what you mean by a "living flag"?)

But calculating default 110 year lifespans for those with undated births works, too.

Thanks, Ken, for that response. I'll do as you recommend. It also caught all those 1700-1800 individuals I didn't have birthdates for.

I had assumed TNG would use the "1 DEAT Y" tag to determine whether someone was living or not. (By the way, is that what you mean by a "living flag"?)

But calculating default 110 year lifespans for those with undated births works, too.

Bonnie,

I use the backup and restore script that Ben Wagner developed http://www.tngforum.us/index.php?s=&sh...post&p=4564 to backup the more than 1300 manually set living flags (when you edit a person, there is a box that you can check for Living, that is the flag I am talking about).

I also developed a mod to the text version of the Descendant chart that shows the word Living after the person so I could tell where I had set the flags for those people who had not provided birthdates when I compiled the 1994 Roy Family Genealogy book. See http://www.tngforum.us/index.php?s=&sh...post&p=6958

• 2 weeks later...
Barry Ennever

I think this may be a bug/design change with the update to v6.1. I previously imported all my data with no data for living people and TNG happily recorded them as living. Now it seems to insist upon a birth date else it automatically assumes all are dead and displays all information.

I think this may be a bug/design change with the update to v6.1. I previously imported all my data with no data for living people and TNG happily recorded them as living. Now it seems to insist upon a birth date else it automatically assumes all are dead and displays all information.

Barry,

What do you have in Admin >> Setup>> Import Settings for>> If no birth date, assume:

Mine is set to "Person is Deceased" which does require a birth date with No Death date for the Living flag to be set, or that you manually set the living flags and use the Backup / Restore Living flag script to backup the Living flag before doing a new import and a restore after the import.

Barry Ennever

Barry,

What do you have in Admin >> Setup>> Import Settings for>> If no birth date, assume:

Mine is set to "Person is Deceased" which does require a birth date with No Death date for the Living flag to be set, or that you manually set the living flags and use the Backup / Restore Living flag script to backup the Living flag before doing a new import and a restore after the import.

Setting Admin >> Setup>> Import Settings for>> If no birth date, assume: Person is deceased

Setting Admin >> Setup>> Import Settings for>> If no birth date, assume: Person is deceased

Hi Barry,

Since TNG sets the Living flag when it has a birth date less than 110 years (this last is an option you can set), I would recommend that when you export a gedcom, you do not supress living information. Then set the privacy settings so that Living information is Depends on User rights. If you don't have birth dates, then you have to set the Living flag manually. if you have to do this, then you should use the Backup and Restore Living flag script so you don't lose the individuals you mark as living.

Barry Ennever

Hi Barry,

Since TNG sets the Living flag when it has a birth date less than 110 years (this last is an option you can set), I would recommend that when you export a gedcom, you do not supress living information. Then set the privacy settings so that Living information is Depends on User rights. If you don't have birth dates, then you have to set the Living flag manually. if you have to do this, then you should use the Backup and Restore Living flag script so you don't lose the individuals you mark as living.

Many thanks for your help Ken.