TNG Community
reverendspam

TNG-Joomla Bridge For Joomla 1.0.x and TNG 6.x

reverendspam

Joe,

Yes deleting/replacing the code did solve the problem with accessing admin home page from within Joomla. But as you indicated that also readds the vertical iframe back. So I'm going to stay with the new bridge as is and just access admin directly or via alternate browser.

I don't believe that I'm wrapping TNG in a Joomla Wrapper. I added a menu item selecting 'component' and selected the TNG bridge (see below)

18 Genealogy Public 45 Link - Static Content 21

19 . L Ancestry Files Public 56 Component - TNG Genealogy

I didn't add anything to get to Admin Page from Joomla. On most TNG menus, the link to "Administration" is near the bottom in the "Info" drop down list. Since the username that I usually login to Joomla also has Admin rights in TNG, I just started using this drop down link to Administration to gain access.

Since Firefox is my default browser, going forward I'll just login directly to the TNG folder when needing to make Admin changes.

Thanks for the follow-up and the overall improvement to the bridge.

Tom

Thanks Tom,

I'll see if I can figure out what's going on between the javascript and why joomla and the bridge do not like the admin.php page.

Joe

tomk

Thanks Tom,

I'll see if I can figure out what's going on between the javascript and why joomla and the bridge do not like the admin.php page.

Joe

Thanks Joe,

By the way, unchecking 'Enable Javascript' in the Firefox Options Content tab solves the problem with the Admin Home resizing to only show the top menu. So it definitely is Javascript related.

Tom

Alex

Hi,

I hope my question is in the right topic? I'm using TNG6 and wanted to make it part of a larger project, so I installed Joomla 1.0.12. Mostly because PHPNuke was not to my liking.

To integrate TNG in Joomla I downloaded and installed your bridge.

Now TNG runs in Joomla. But not the way I see it on other sites, meaning integrated instead of being just in a frame. Is this iframe? I'm not sure what that means...

Please see the attachment for what I mean. I hope it is something stupid on my side... 8-)

tomk

Hi,

I hope my question is in the right topic? I'm using TNG6 and wanted to make it part of a larger project, so I installed Joomla 1.0.12. Mostly because PHPNuke was not to my liking.

Now TNG runs in Joomla. But not the way I see it on other sites, meaning integrated instead of being just in a frame. Is this iframe? I'm not sure what that means...

Please see the attachment for what I mean. I hope it is something stupid on my side... 8-)

I believe your problem may be related to the use of the default Solarflare II template. When I set my site back to using this default template and reset the menus to the left, I got something similar. Other applications such as Gallery2 also have problems with this default template.

(EDIT: follow-up. Also to remove the main menu from the left side, use the Joomla Admin Backend and go to Modules | Site Modules and edit the Main Menu. Then unhighlight the TNG Genealogy link in the Page/Items Menu Items Link section. The default template will show just a blank left menu area, but you will need to do this to restrict showing the left menu on a working template.)

I suggest you try using another template, there are several free templates available. I have an old Simplicity Green template (http://www.joomla-templates.com/) that was free that still works the way you want it to. I currently use RocketTheme templates (http://www.rockettheme.com/) and they also have some free templates you can try.

Hope that helps.

TomK

reverendspam

Hi,

Hi Alex,

Thanks for providing a picture.

You are attempting to run one of Darrin's full frame templates within the template of Joomla. The TNG template is just too big and is conflicting with Joomla becasue the TNG template probably has a fixed width which Joomla cannot override.

You will need to use the initial index.php file that was in your original TNG setup. You can rewrite or modify it to fit your needs. This is what you are seeing on most everyone elses Joomla sites.

I hope this helps.

Joe

ms Jay

I went to your website as you have instructed and your site looks fine EXCEPT for the Geneology tab. You have a large footer that takes up almost half the window which makes viewing your gen info hard.

I have my Joomla set up perfectly, and am now getting ready to set up TNG and I am debating whether to set up a link to go to the TNG files in a different page or integrate it into the page I am using. If I mess this Joomla set up I am going to be very upset. I have previously set up with Drupal, and it was working fine until they did an upgrade and rendered half my site unusable so I wnt to e107 but I did not like the log in security so now I installed Joomla and I think I like the Joomla the best. So please let me know if this is going to work. I have:

Joomla version 1.0.12

TNG version 6.04

Community Builder 1.0.2

the only add ins I have used are the CB profile gallery and a template I think is called 2cool.

Thank you

reverendspam

I went to your website as you have instructed and your site looks fine EXCEPT for the Geneology tab. You have a large footer that takes up almost half the window which makes viewing your gen info hard.

I have my Joomla set up perfectly, and am now getting ready to set up TNG and I am debating whether to set up a link to go to the TNG files in a different page or integrate it into the page I am using. If I mess this Joomla set up I am going to be very upset. I have previously set up with Drupal, and it was working fine until they did an upgrade and rendered half my site unusable so I wnt to e107 but I did not like the log in security so now I installed Joomla and I think I like the Joomla the best. So please let me know if this is going to work. I have:

Joomla version 1.0.12

TNG version 6.04

Community Builder 1.0.2

the only add ins I have used are the CB profile gallery and a template I think is called 2cool.

Thank you

The Module changes nothing to the core of Joomla so if you mess up Joomla it will not be the fault of the bridge component. As stated above, it is working with TNG 6 and Joomla 1.0.12. Community Builder should have no bearing whatsoever as CB is just another Component. I also run CB on my site. The bridge component will delete as easy as it installs.

Thanks for pointing out my footer, but this has nothing to do with the function of the bridge component. I have not tweaked my site fully yet ;)

You may log into my site if you wish and post in my forums to give me feedback on my site what looks good and what doesn't. I won't mind.

Joe

Alex

You are attempting to run one of Darrin's full frame templates within the template of Joomla. The TNG template is just too big and is conflicting with Joomla becasue the TNG template probably has a fixed width which Joomla cannot override.

You will need to use the initial index.php file that was in your original TNG setup. You can rewrite or modify it to fit your needs. This is what you are seeing on most everyone elses Joomla sites.

Thank you Joe and TomK for providing me with some pointers. I suspected already that it had something to do with me being a n00b :roll:

My hopes of "quickly getting a site on air" are now crushed. :sad:

So, I'm now on the lookout for a template with a topmenu (I believe it's called?)

Anyone got a tip? Anyone got a Joomla primer?

But hey, I still do like Joomla and I definitely love TNG 8-)

ms Jay

The Module changes nothing to the core of Joomla so if you mess up Joomla it will not be the fault of the bridge component. As stated above, it is working with TNG 6 and Joomla 1.0.12. Community Builder should have no bearing whatsoever as CB is just another Component. I also run CB on my site. The bridge component will delete as easy as it installs.

I installed the module finally and yes it works perfectly. One problem I am having now is that TNG is in a frame with verticle and horizontal scroll bars and it is hard to read. so the question of the year is what is the best template to use for TNG and Joomla or should I delete the TNG template? Everything is functioning correctly now. just this small glitch.

I am guessing that I should edit my css file but I do not know how. I am using joomla template called 2cool and template 4 with TNG. the reason I used a templatewith TNG is because if you do not use one you get a message on everypage statingthat you should install a template.

Help!

reverendspam

I installed the module finally and yes it works perfectly. One problem I am having now is that TNG is in a frame with verticle and horizontal scroll bars and it is hard to read. so the question of the year is what is the best template to use for TNG and Joomla or should I delete the TNG template? Everything is functioning correctly now. just this small glitch.

I am guessing that I should edit my css file but I do not know how. I am using joomla template called 2cool and template 4 with TNG. the reason I used a templatewith TNG is because if you do not use one you get a message on everypage statingthat you should install a template.

Help!

Just use the original index.php file that came with TNG as I stated above and edit it to your liking.

Here is a modification of the index.php file you can use. I have stripped it down and taken out the login scripting found in the original as it is not needed since you log in through Joomla. I also removed the contact us link as you have a contact us component built in to Joomla.

Unzip it and Make sure you put this in your TNG directory not your Joomla directory. You also might want to rename your index.php on your site to something else in case you want to use it again later.

Joe

index.zip

tomk

Thank you Joe and TomK for providing me with some pointers. I suspected already that it had something to do with me being a n00b :roll:

My hopes of "quickly getting a site on air" are now crushed. :sad:

So, I'm now on the lookout for a template with a topmenu (I believe it's called?)

Anyone got a tip? Anyone got a Joomla primer?

But hey, I still do like Joomla and I definitely love TNG 8-)

Alex,

I use Joomla templates from http://www.rockettheme.com/ - I joined their Templates Club, and they work great (now if I only had more time to play with them). I'm using their Vortex template which does have a top menu system. One of the Icon is 'genealogy' which the public can see, but they won't see the link to TNG until they are logged in successfully. Once logged in, a sub-menu appears with access to my TNG database.

My site is working via the Community Builder component to have better control on user registration. I also use Gallery2 for photo albums which is set up of access at dfferent levels. One of these days I'll try to figure out how to link this photo gallery with TNG so that I can manage all of my photos from one database. But that is a different topic. I use Legacy for my ancestry database of record, so I don't want to create too much additional work just to have the pictures in the Gallery2 database.

Joomla grows on you. It has it's pluses and minuses, but there is a good user base that will help you through problems.

TomK

Marchel

How to prevent bypassing joomla ?

Now the user can go directly to http:/mysite/TNG/ :( .

Will2

I have Joomla 1.0.12 and TNG 6.0.4 installed ok, and wanted to try your new bridge. Should I upgrade to TNG 6.1.0 first then install tngjoomla_6.0.1.zip for the best results?

Thanks, Will :roll:

spankee

I think I may have found a bug.

The userfield "description" does not carry over to TNG. Instead it uses the username.

I do have community builder installed but I do not believe that is the cause.

Patrick

JMack

note: If you have ever installed an older version of the TNG Genealogy component into your Joomla it may appear with the new install that a new menu item appears. This is just an old remnant leftover in your Joomla database from the old install. Just delete the menu item and create a new menu item to your new TNG Genealogy bridge install.

That's it.

Apparently, that extra menu issue relates to something other than a previously installed Joomla-TNG bridge. This is a first time install for me and the extra menu item was automatically created.

Don't know if this bit of info will point you to something different but here it is:

MENU ITEM CREATED BY ME

In Joomla's Menu Manager it shows the menu type as: Component-TNG Genealogy with id#76

MENU ITEM CREATED AUTOMATICALLY

In Joomla's Menu Manager it shows the menu type as: Component-joomlaXplorer with id#75

Could this have anything to do with similar code in the TNG and joomlaXplorer component php files?

NOTE: I have the joomlaXplorer component installed. Both menu items appear to work correctly and no errors are produced (I'm using IE7). I have TNG installed in a sub-domain: genealogy.mydomain.org.

Great component! Just what I needed.

Thanks

JMack

reverendspam

[Hi folks I'm still here. I am working on a few bugs and have someone that is helping me behind the scenes. I'm going to remove automatic menu link add in since it is not really needed and is more trouble than taking two seconds to make a menu link in Joomla.

There is a password bug that is being worked on. It was brought to my attention the old Cas-Nuy code would automatically generate random passwords so the user ends up having a different pw from what they put in Joomla. This was from the old days when TNG did not encode passwords.

It doesn't hurt functionality unless a user attempts to log into TNG without going through Joomla first. They probably will not be able to log in.

I will look at the description field also.

I will post the code here in a bit.

Joe

ps. I'm also working on the Joomla 1.5 version in another thread. If anyone wants to work on either of these components and share code changes please do as I do not have time and energy at this moment to go through all the code with a fine tooth comb and pick out the bugs. Thanks and thanks to those behind the scenes who are helping.

reverendspam

How to prevent bypassing joomla ?

Now the user can go directly to http:/mysite/TNG/ :( .

See the above instructions in my first post.

Joe

reverendspam

I think I may have found a bug.

The userfield "description" does not carry over to TNG. Instead it uses the username.

I do have community builder installed but I do not believe that is the cause.

Patrick

It is not a bug and is intentionally done this way. The username is used as a placeholder for TNG "description" field. The TNG showlog.php file pulls from the description field in the TNG database to show you who looked at what page.

Now if you do not want the user to show in the description field--open up index_joomla.php file and around line 44 delete the 1st "$f_username" field you see. Remember to leave '' as a placeholder for the field. This will not show the username in the log file.

before:

$adding = "INSERT INTO $users_table VALUES ('', '$f_username', '$f_username', '$newpwd', '', 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1, 1, '', '$f_username', '', '$f_usermail', '', '', '', '', '', '', NOW(), '', '', '', '');";
after:
$adding = "INSERT INTO $users_table VALUES ('', '', '$f_username', '$newpwd', '', 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1, 1, '', '$f_username', '', '$f_usermail', '', '', '', '', '', '', NOW(), '', '', '', '');";

Joe

spankee

It sounds like I should leave it as it is then.

I forgot to ask...is it possible to include the real name in tng?

Thanks

Stephen Rowe

Not sure if I have done everything right or not although followed the steps and everything appeared to go OK ie was able to add TNG component, created the menu item link to the TNG component and, for users already registered in TNG, it works fine from Joomla to TNG.

But - for a new user who registers in Joomla and gets approved if I try to then have this new user use the Genealogy menu item, I get the following error:

problemOut of range value adjusted for column 'userID' at row 1

Their name/details don't get passed to TNG and, of course, they can't go through to TNG.

Have I completely missed something?

(the configuration is correct, the only differences I have to say a normal straight forward installaiton - because this site is already up and running with HTML scripts, Joomla is placed in its own directory as is TNG but, because users already registered in TNG can get through.....)

reverendspam

Not sure if I have done everything right or not although followed the steps and everything appeared to go OK ie was able to add TNG component, created the menu item link to the TNG component and, for users already registered in TNG, it works fine from Joomla to TNG.

But - for a new user who registers in Joomla and gets approved if I try to then have this new user use the Genealogy menu item, I get the following error:

Their name/details don't get passed to TNG and, of course, they can't go through to TNG.

Have I completely missed something?

(the configuration is correct, the only differences I have to say a normal straight forward installaiton - because this site is already up and running with HTML scripts, Joomla is placed in its own directory as is TNG but, because users already registered in TNG can get through.....)

Not knowing the specific set up of your server including which server brand or database version you are using -- it sounds like your database does not like to be told to add empty fields according to the error.

The post above shows the line in the index_joomla.php file that inserts items into your fields in your database.

Some versions of mysql were buggy about this as I recall.

Do a search on Google using "problem Out of range value adjusted for column" and you may find your answer. Google is our friend when it comes to looking up errors :)

Joe

It sounds like I should leave it as it is then.

I forgot to ask...is it possible to include the real name in tng?

Thanks

Yes, but someone will need to rewrite the index_joomla.php file to pull the variables fom the Joomla database. I don't really have a need for it and don't have time to rewrite and test it. I'm not a coder. Sorry.

Joe

Stephen Rowe

Not knowing the specific set up of your server including which server brand or database version you are using -- it sounds like your database does not like to be told to add empty fields according to the error.

The post above shows the line in the index_joomla.php file that inserts items into your fields in your database.

Some versions of mysql were buggy about this as I recall.

Do a search on Google using "problem Out of range value adjusted for column" and you may find your answer. Google is our friend when it comes to looking up errors :)

Will do the search - but in the meantime - MySQl version 5.0.24 running on a Windows server.

Interesting also that I added one of the users I was experimenting with to TNG as well a Jommla - got both users set up so I could log into either as the same user with same password - them tried going through Joomla via my genealogy link to TNG - lo and behold - the new user is logged in as an Administrator even though it has been given no edit rights etc. Now - not sure if this is coupled with the problem of not beiong able to log out of TNG (subject of a different thread still waiting for an answer on) but a bit disconcerting that tis is happening.

My test site (still very much being played with) is www.ser.id.au/index.php - I even completely removed Joomla tonight and did a complete reinstall of it (removed SQL tables, all files and started completely from scratch again).

OK - did the search as suggested - interesting - two solutions are proposed - one which requires the host to change settings, the other the author of the source code.

Now I don't profess to know anything about TNG or its code so I would ask here - is this something that can be achieved in TNG or do I have to try and get the host to make changes which could affect other things as well?

I had this problem as well and found an easy fix. It is related to trying to enter a null value into the 'id' field of the table.

<removed code as it didn't relate to TNG>

This fixed my problem and does not require you to change any database setting or even have access to it. Hope this helps

reverendspam

Interesting also that I added one of the users I was experimenting with to TNG as well a Jommla - got both users set up so I could log into either as the same user with same password - them tried going through Joomla via my genealogy link to TNG - lo and behold - the new user is logged in as an Administrator even though it has been given no edit rights etc. Now - not sure if this is coupled with the problem of not beiong able to log out of TNG (subject of a different thread still waiting for an answer on) but a bit disconcerting that tis is happening.

Hi,

It could also be a cookies issue. It could also be a Windows server issue. I'm not sure if anyone else is running the component on a windows production server. If so maybe they can step up to the plate and help out.

Try clearing out your cookies in your browser. I notice that you are using one of Darrin's templates. This may be causing cookie problems as well as his templates may be calling for stored cookies and conflicting with Joomla because joomla does call for cookies.

I'm not sure how the user is getting logged into TNG as administrator. The component does not let users become administrators. Again makes me think there is some cookie issue. The tng-bridge module will not overwrite a user that is already in your TNG database. You should also be able to change admin rights in the TNG backend for each user as TNG allows.

Before reading any further:

********Disclaimer and very strong warning********

I would not suggest any of the changes below unless you are working on a *nix server which PHP and Mysql were natively written for. I have no experience with Windows servers and I''m 99.9% positive you will have issues running native *nix programs on a Windows server regardless that it has been ported to Windows. Just a fact of life and well documented so no one needs to flame that statement.

Play around with Joomla first to make sure it is going to meet your needs for what you want to do before doing any of the following. It's not for everyone. It took me a while to tweak my site to how I want it to run and I am still tweaking as ADD runs rampant through my family :)

- backup, backup, backup--say this 3 more times and do it if you decide to read any further! Backup both your site and your database files. Do not read any further unless you know how to backup and reinstate your site from the backup. I will not be held responsible for any loss. Is that a strong enough disclaimer :)

I would suggest (only if you agree with the discalimer and know what you are doing) you get rid of the TNG template first as it will not work with joomla because you are wrapping a template inside a template.

I would also suggest you delete all your current users (except for the superadmin--you) in the back end of TNG and have the rest of your users sign in for an account through Joomla and then log in into TNG using the joomla link you created. The component will only add users that have logged in through the Joomla link.

Doing this will let you keep all your established links and files that you may have already set up in TNG. You are just starting over with your users. Again - for any sceptics there may be --the bridge component will not delete anything it only adds users to the TNG database.

Once you get past the install the payoff is usually worth it if Joomla meets your needs.

Good luck.

Joe

ps. If you do get this working on your Windows Server would you be kind enough to post the steps you went through so others may benefit from it. Thanks.

pps. keep in mind that Joomla will be switching to 1.5 in a few months and you may lose supports for any old modules, components, and bots. The old will not work with the new unfortunately. They will work with Mambo CMS though.

I am going to stick it out for a couple of more years with joomla 1.0.x unless I get hacked to shreds. If that happens I will then either have to switch to Mambo CMS or rewrite all my components for the new Joomla.

Stephen Rowe

Joe - thanks for the detailed reply. As background, the primary reason I went with this particular host and a Windows server was for some code support on anther applicaiton we are writing/running and also for 'alternate' experience (my other sites are running on *nox sites so it theoretically gave me the best of both worlds. That said...

I'm not sure how the user is getting logged into TNG as administrator. The component does not let users become administrators. Again makes me think there is some cookie issue. The tng-bridge module will not overwrite a user that is already in your TNG database. You should also be able to change admin rights in the TNG backend for each user as TNG allows.

I suspect it has something to do with the fact I can't log out of TNG at present.

Play around with Joomla first to make sure it is going to meet your needs for what you want to do before doing any of the following. It's not for everyone. It took me a while to tweak my site to how I want it to run and I am still tweaking as ADD runs rampant through my family :)

My other sites have a custom written CMS which we now realise has a 'few' problems and I needed something to replace it - hence looking at the CMS's that have been used with TNG.

I would also suggest you delete all your current users (except for the superadmin--you) in the back end of TNG and have the rest of your users sign in for an account through Joomla and then log in into TNG using the joomla link you created. The component will only add users that have logged in through the Joomla link.

Doing this will let you keep all your established links and files that you may have already set up in TNG. You are just starting over with your users. Again - for any sceptics there may be --the bridge component will not delete anything it only adds users to the TNG database.

Once you get past the install the payoff is usually worth it if Joomla meets your needs.

I can remove an reinstall TNG at any time at present - I am still using my original system as the 'official' front end - for me, TNG isn't there to allow people to edit/add data in the family files. I use Legacy here at home and will continue to do so - I just don;t like having to spend 6 hours plus uploading 18,000 plus files whenever there is a new baby born somewhere inthe family! TNG is there to replce this continual uploading of files and the benfits are the restriction of living people's information and even the restriction of viewing to particular branches. So, for me, it is quite easy to be able to delete the installation and start from scratch again (I did that yesterday with Joomla anyway).

ps. If you do get this working on your Windows Server would you be kind enough to post the steps you went through so others may benefit from it. Thanks.

Will certainly keep that in mind - although I have to ask myself 'Why do I always seem to do things a different way and have to fight the battles along the way' :-)

Stephen

Stephen Rowe

To follow up. I have performe da COMPLETE re-install of both Joomla and TNG (without an templates - totally raw) and still get the same result when trying to pass a valildated user in Joomla over to TNG (where the user doesn't, as yet, exist).

Obviously I have two options here - one ois to try and get the web host to change a configuration file just for me (and possibly affecting a large number of other web sites) and/or getting the problem fixed on the code side (ie TNG). AS this is a recognised bug, it is highly likely it will be fixed in a future release of MySQL 5 therefore I don't believe changing the hosting side is the correct option.

Seeing as there is another issue here (the logging out) I have to consider if I need to continue looking for server side genealogical software. (Still haven't even had a response to the other issue........)