TNG Community
John Vickers

Joomla/TNG Integration WITHOUT IFRAME

John Vickers

Hey guys, I have made a website for my entire extended family and was using the bridge made by Cas and others, but the IFrame that bridge uses was causing navigation problems for the older members in the family. I decided to go make a new bridge that does not use the IFrame.

I have it up and running on my site now, and it appears to be working all right. This weekend, I am going to be tweaking the color pallet to remove the clashing colors, but the functionality should all be working.

Give the bridge a try, but it is still in beta testing. If you find any bugs with it, you can contact me at jgvicke@gmail.com, just put something about Joomla or TNG in the subject.

I look forward to your input.

John Vickers

Joomla_TNG_Bridge.zip

reverendspam

Thanks for your hard work and donation to the community. I will check it out in the next few days and give some feedback.

Joe

BMR789

Hi John,

Nice work on the website.

Will look at your mod in more detail - but it does seem to work really well.

Nice way to set up the Genealogy Menu using the Joomla framework to tie into TNG.

Cheers for the good work

Blair

steve smith

Hi John

i've been lurking around here for a couple of weeks, I downloaded your joomla bridge and I also installed your hack files. I must say NICE WORK!!!!!!!!! I love the fact there is not the I-Frames thing, still don't understand the whole I-Frames thing. A discussion for another board. I haven't got to really play with it to much yet, but I haven't had any problems with it.

I did notice a couple of things, the files in your com-tng folder are incomplete, meaning there not all there. all thats in the folder is tng.php (i think, i doing all this from memory) the rest of the files needed are not there, atleast mine was. I discovered my zip utility, doesnt like to retrieve all files from the file, since discovering this I have rectified that situation!!!! It might be just me, I just wanted to let you know, just in case.

This next one might be a little more difficult for me to explain. I'm kinda new to this whole set up your own internet site, its been a challenging experience. One I must say I like, but anyways.

I should give some background on my set-up though. I'm using a free hosting site, its not bad for a free hosting site, one of the better ones I looked at, even better than some paid hosts I looked at!!! 150 megs 5 gb bandwith, c-panel , the only ads they put is a small text ad at the bottom of every page. but I'm not trying to advertise here.

I have Joomla in the root, I also have TNG installed on the root, I also have Fireboard installed, I installed your vickers.zip file into Joomla, the combination of this text add and something to do with your div's if I recall this i will provide a link for so you can see what I'm talking about here.

Heres the link

http://www.trap17.com/forums/index.php?s=&...st&p=319701

sorry for the rambling

John Vickers

I am glad you like the bridge I made, so lets see if I can clear up some of your questions. First, the com_tng should only have 3 files total in the zip, one goes to components/com_tng/com_tng.php an two goto administrator/components/com_tng/. If the component installed correctly, it had to have all the files, otherwise the component would not work at all.

As for you hosting problem, I had to do quite a bit of editing on my template to make sure its CSS did not interfere with TNG's CSS. When you add in other components with their own CSS you get a whole nother ball of wax. Fireboard should not be causing any problems, but their banner at the bottom might. Unfortunatly, I would really need access to your controll panel, Joomla backend, and some time to tinker with the CSS to fix it. I will probably be installing fireboard soon on my site, and if I find any conflicts I will fix them.

Hope you enjoy the bridge!

John Vickers

spankee

Hi, I love your integration with Joomla and the fact it does not use Iframes. I am in the process of setting this up and I am wondering about the css conflicts. Do you have a list of conflicts or does it depend on the joomla theme you use?

Thanks

Patrick

John Vickers

Sorry, I have been realy busy the last few weeks, and havn't changed the forums. There weren't many conflicts, and you can mainly fix them by testing with the theme you want to use. If something dosn't look right in TNG, than it is because the css defined by the theme is overwriting something. It is usually easiest to change the theme css than try to change the css in TNG.

Hope this helps!

John

spankee

Thanks for the answer

I have another question. Will this work with the new tng v6.1?

John Vickers

Thanks for the answer

I have another question. Will this work with the new tng v6.1?

I doubt it, but when I get some free time, I will make it work with the new version.

John Vickers

firetruckred

John, I'm wondering if you have given any recent thought to making it work with 6.1x?

-W

ashareem

I doubt it, but when I get some free time, I will make it work with the new version.

John Vickers

Hi John -- Have you had any time to work on this? I know how copious spare time can be... :mrgreen:

Mike Goodstadt

Any news? Does this work with TNG version 6.20?

Tell us if you need a hand...

All the best,

Mike