TNG Community
Cherry

Public Home Page

Cherry

I hate to sound so lame but I have absolutely no idea on how to change the public home page. Right now it is showing the generic one that comes with template 5. Also, the message is in some foreign language. Php, html, text editor - it's all greek to me. Please help. Thanks

Cherry

Paul Wake

Cherry, I'm a newbie too so take what I say with a grain of salt, but since no one else is weighing in I'll see if I can help a little. You might also look at the readme file that came with your download, or in the TNG software's admin area help link (although I don't believe that has the digest information), for e-mail addresses to e-mail lists where you may be able to get more rapid help than this forum, or to get help directly from Darrin Lythgoe (I like the digest e-mail list since getting a daily(roughly) dose of e-mail beats getting a steady stream). I've found you're more likely to get help that way than here.

I don't know what's up with your foreign language problem. Could you have downloaded a different language version? Or changed the language on the version you have? What happens if you click the bottom of the three links on the bottom left of your main TNG page? Do you get a page with a drop down menu that has English on it?

Regarding personalizing the main page, you need to be able to find your index.php file and open it with whatever you use to edit HTML web pages. It would probably be good to make a backup copy first, saving it somewhere in case you butcher index.php beyond usability so you can upload the unbutchered copy to restore at least the basic generic layout. Index.php is a PHP page, so if you've edited HTML before, the coding will look different. If you haven't edited HTML before, good luck; TNG is not at all user friendly, and if you aren't a programmer it's an uphill battle to learn how to make it work. But we'll see if we can walk up the hill together. Using a text editor like Notepad, see if you can find and open index.php. Scroll a ways down until you find the word "Welcome" buried in the middle (or use "Find" to locate it). That word is the "Welcome" you see on your main TNG web page. A little below that in index.php you should see the generic text. Replace it with whatever you want to say. Try not to replace any of the PHP or HTML codes unless you know what you're doing. A ways below that there's an img tag for a jpg photo that's 169 pixels wide by 128 high. If you edit a photo of your own so it's that size, replace the name of the template's generic photo with your chosen photo's name, and upload that photo too when you save and upload index.php, it ought to show on the main page also. That should give you a personalized main page, and then by uploading a GEDCOM or inputting your data, you'll have a basic family history site up. You'll note that the other pages on your site will also have a smaller photo up top. You can find and open topmenu.php and change topmenu.php's img tag to the name of your preferred photo (best to use one of the same dimensions of the generic TNG photo, 100 x 76) and save and upload that file along with the photo, and the rest of your pages will be more customized also.

Good luck!

arnold

I hate to sound so lame but I have absolutely no idea on how to change the public home page. Right now it is showing the generic one that comes with template 5. Also, the message is in some foreign language. Php, html, text editor - it's all greek to me. Please help. Thanks

Paul gave a very helpful and supportive reply.

It would help if you provided a link to your website so that we can see it. How much do you know about coding, text editors, etc.? Is it zero?

Ken Roy

I don't know what's up with your foreign language problem. Could you have downloaded a different language version? Or changed the language on the version you have? What happens if you click the bottom of the three links on the bottom left of your main TNG page? Do you get a page with a drop down menu that has English on it?

Chances are the foreign language you are seeing is Latin or pseudo latin that is just a place holder where your real text would go. A link to your site would allow providing more specific help.

Paul Wake

I probably should have added that when you change, save, and upload index.php, make sure that its file name remains index.php (you don't want it to turn into index.php.txt or index.txt, which your text editor might do). The followups from other people about posting your site, and about Latin/pseudolatin are also good; I should have thought of that. If the text is a "Lorem ipsum" sort of thing, it's just generic filler meant to be replaced, and you should still be seeing English in your headers and so forth.

Cherry

Well I finally got my public home page fixed thanks to all of you and Darrin. I am still working on the photos and will follow what Paul has outlined. Also, I did not (and still don't) know how to link my site here but that is probably for another day. As it was, it took all day to get it right. Thanks everyone!

Paul Wake

You can just put the URL in the text of your post, like http://www.isp.com/myplace/genealogy/index.php or whatever, and the forum should underline it and make it clickable (the address above isn't real--or is it? I haven't checked). You could also go to your profile and put your URL in there, if you want to, and then if people clicked on your name in one of your forum posts, it would be there.

theKiwi

You can just put the URL in the text of your post, like http://www.isp.com/myplace/genealogy/index.php or whatever, and the forum should underline it and make it clickable

Note that for this to work you must include the http:// at the start of the address. It doesn't become a link if it only starts out with www. or anything other than http://

It's helpful if it's immediately clickable - on a busy day some people may not bother to do the copy and paste thing.

Roger

Paul Wake

And yet another thing I should have thought to add regarding personalizing TNG and template 5:

Inside the index.php file itself, near the top when opened for editing with a text editor, there's a fairly clearly marked place (by comments above and below it saying to edit that text) where you can change the name of the page that shows in the home page itself to whatever you want. Same with topmenu.php (you can use either topmenu.php or topmenu.html to define how the tops of the rest of the pages in TNG will look; in your admin settings (setup/general setup/sitedesign) you need to designate which of the two you're using; the php versions are probably better for both topmenu and the footer).

I hope this is making sense, Cherry.

Bridget Wynne

Hello Paul:

You wrote: "If you haven't edited HTML before, good luck; TNG is not at all user friendly, and if you aren't a programmer it's an uphill battle to learn how to make it work. But we'll see if we can walk up the hill together."

When I purchased TNG it was not clear to me that it is made for people who know about programming. I have spent hours getting the site up, emailing many times with Darrin, TNG's designer, and with my web hosting company. Darrin suggested I get a book on html, which makes sense if I'm going to use TNG, but I am not interested in programming, just in genealogy! Do you know of genealogy web site software that can be used by people who do not know about programming? If not, do you have any suggestions how I could find such a thing? I don't want to make another purchase that I do not know how to use.

Thanks,

Bridget

Paul, I forgot to add that I use a Mac, and the genealogy software I use is Reunion 9.

Bridget

theKiwi

Well since you already have web space available, and you're using Reunion 9, why not just use the Web Cards and Person Sheets that Reunion can generate and upload them to your web space.

Sure it's not as nice as even a standard unaltered TNG installation (no searching for example), but it's all pretty easy. You can see an example of some web cards and person sheets generated directly from Reunion here...

http://LisaAndRoger.com/GenealogyMisc/WebC...gree/wc_toc.htm

It's not unattractive, and it's only a few mouse clicks to generate and upload.

Roger

Niels Ebbe Huus

Note that for this to work you must include the http:// at the start of the address. It doesn't become a link if it only starts out with www. or anything other than http://

It's helpful if it's immediately clickable - on a busy day some people may not bother to do the copy and paste thing.

Roger

Hello the Kiwi

I have read your post with interest. And then I have hit your genealogy page. I will ask how did you make the report

http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/reports.php

People born today. That is a very interesting report, and I would like to make it myself.

www.nhuus.de/genealogy/

theKiwi

Here's the settings from the Reports screen in Admin where you can create this report.

Cheers

Roger