TNG Community

Localhost web server no longer displaying TNG pages

Ken Roy

Yesterday, mysql server crashed on my local web server indicating it could no longer find the book_auth etc tables for the Lazarus guestbook and my TNG web pages started displaying only a completely blank page. I have seen blank pages before when TNG was not able to logon to my database. However, I cannot even access my Admin pages, which I did not think access the database, but maybe I am wrong.

I can access the config.php file with a text editor and the user and password are the correct one. The other TNG files i checked with the text editor apprear OK.

I have since recovered the book_ tables for the Lazarus guestbook, but I still cannot display any TNG web pages. The Apache index.html page displays correctly if I rename my index.php page. I can access all the tables in mysql database with phpMyAdmin as well as with the mysql administrator.

I did not install WAMP but did things the hard way when I setup this environment over a year and half ago, since I was not aware of WAMP at the time. I am running Apache 2.0.54 with PHP 5.0.5 and mySQL 4.1.14 Mysql no longer displays any errors in the log.

Any recommendations as to what I should look at to resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Yesterday, mysql server crashed on my local web server indicating it could no longer find the book_auth etc tables for the Lazarus guestbook and my TNG web pages started displaying only a completely blank page. I have seen blank pages before when TNG was not able to logon to my database. However, I cannot even access my Admin pages, which I did not think access the database, but maybe I am wrong.

Problem appears to be related to my cust_text.php which I saved about the same time as the crash. Does anyone know of a good tool to find where the problem is in that file? I know it is cust_text.php because I FTPed it with a change to my production site this morning andt immediately started seeing blank pages only.

Problem appears to be related to my cust_text.php which I saved about the same time as the crash. Does anyone know of a good tool to find where the problem is in that file? I know it is cust_text.php because I FTPed it with a change to my production site this morning andt immediately started seeing blank pages only.

Are all of the lines either commented or ending in a ; (except for <?php and ?>

I've found while messing around with the Google maps thing that a missing ; will cause pages to be blank.

On your testing server you should have access to the error_log? Apache writes one that looks like this...

[Thu Feb 22 09:49:35 2007] [error] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /Library/WebServer/Documents/ReunionTNG/personlib.php on line 380

when something is wrong. A missing ; generates an error similar to this.

Roger

Are all of the lines either commented or ending in a ; (except for <?php and ?>

I've found while messing around with the Google maps thing that a missing ; will cause pages to be blank.

On your testing server you should have access to the error_log? Apache writes one that looks like this...

[Thu Feb 22 09:49:35 2007] [error] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /Library/WebServer/Documents/ReunionTNG/personlib.php on line 380

when something is wrong. A missing ; generates an error similar to this.

Roger

Well that is the really strange thing, there are no errors in the Apache error log. The access log shows the following

127.0.0.1 - - [27/Feb/2007:07:54:48 -0600] "GET /genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I40&tree=T0001 HTTP/1.1" 200 1

127.0.0.1 - - [27/Feb/2007:07:56:25 -0600] "GET /genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I40&tree=T0001 HTTP/1.1" 200 1

127.0.0.1 - - [27/Feb/2007:07:56:28 -0600] "GET /genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I40&tree=T0001 HTTP/1.1" 200 1

Well that is the really strange thing, there are no errors in the Apache error log. The access log shows the following

With your site working - ie using a known good cust_text.php file, f you deliberately generate an error in a file, does that error get logged into the error_log?

eMail me a copy of the suspect file and I'll see if it breaks my setup too.

Roger

With your site working - ie using a known good cust_text.php file, f you deliberately generate an error in a file, does that error get logged into the error_log?

eMail me a copy of the suspect file and I'll see if it breaks my setup too.

Roger

Roger,

Thanks for finding the missing ; at the end of two new $text statements I had added. That resolved the problem. Don't know why I did not get a php parsing error.