TNG Community
ca_drm1n

Document, History, Source?

ca_drm1n

I tried to search for a discussion on this topic, but was unsuccessful. Can someone help me better understand the difference (at least from the perspective of TNG) between Documents, Histories, and Sources? I have just begun populating my website, and love the product, but I'm a little confused as to where certain items "should" go (I realize there's plenty of room for subjectivity here, but would like to do things "the right way", if there is such a thing ;)

For instance, I have numerous copies of historical documents - U.S. census, marriage certificates, death certificates, etc. What is the best way to add them to my database? Upload as a Document, and then reference that document as a Source? Or upload as a History (again, I'm not sure I understand exactly what meets the criteria of a "History" item in this context - are we talking a historical essay about a certain period of someone's life? Some official document?)

I've perused the TNG help files but didn't find basic definitions of what goes where. Any broad guidance on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- Al

P.S. (insert shameless plug here...): TNG (and these forums) are AWESOME... :-D

aewold

Al,

A Source is a collection of primary (or secondary) sources, such as "Utah Death Certificates, 1904-1954", etc.

A Document is a single document within a Source that you are tying to an individual, such as "Death Certificate of John Doe" (found in the Source of "Utah Death Certificates, 1904-1954"), etc.

A History is generally a text or HTML file that may be a full document, a summary of a document, or (as I use them) a list of links to other websites or pages within the site (such as "Descendancy of John Doe"), or a color-coded table of genealogy lines and researchers interested in each line. History's can be tied to a Source.

Andy

ca_drm1n

Andy,

Thanks very much for the reply. This formalized aspect of genealogy recordkeeping is new to me, but I welcome the opportunity to get away from shoeboxes full of info and into an organized family archive using TNG.

So I guess I need to create a Source entitled "U.S. Census Records, 1880-1920", and then upload each individual census screen shot as a Document, tied back to that source. Similarly, a source for Denver marriage certificates for a certain time period, etc.

I thought that each individual document would be a source, so the approach you describe simplifies things quite a bit.

Thanks again,

- Al

aewold

Al,

Glad I can be of help.

One thing I might suggest as far as the census records, is to create a separate Source for each year of the census, such as:

1850 US Census

1860 US Census

1870 US Census

1880 US Census

1900 US Census

etc

I have heard that other people also like to narrow these down by state as well.

For my own research, I also include Sources for Norwegian censuses:

1865 NO Census

1875 NO Census

1900 NO Census

This way, you can bring up a single Source and see everyone whom you've located for that particular census (and help identify who you haven't found yet.)

Andy

Russellgs

Andy,

Thanks very much for the reply. This formalized aspect of genealogy recordkeeping is new to me, but I welcome the opportunity to get away from shoeboxes full of info and into an organized family archive using TNG.

So I guess I need to create a Source entitled "U.S. Census Records, 1880-1920", and then upload each individual census screen shot as a Document, tied back to that source. Similarly, a source for Denver marriage certificates for a certain time period, etc.

I thought that each individual document would be a source, so the approach you describe simplifies things quite a bit.

Thanks again,

- Al

Al,

I would recommend getting the book, "Evidence! Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian" by Elizabeth Shown Mills. ISBN 0-8063-1543-1 This book is pretty much considered the 'Standard' in the Genealogy community on how to Source and cite documents. It shows you how to word the Source citation and other stuff.

Russ

ca_drm1n

Al,

I would recommend getting the book, "Evidence! Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian" by Elizabeth Shown Mills. ISBN 0-8063-1543-1 This book is pretty much considered the 'Standard' in the Genealogy community on how to Source and cite documents. It shows you how to word the Source citation and other stuff.

Russ

Russ,

Thanks, will do!

- Al