TNG Community
ruth

New to board

ruth

Hi,

I am new and have had a family history website for about four years. I have traced my English ancestors back to the early 1700's and have a photo album on my site. I use Front Page which I do not like and Legacy.I have a friend who does my photo album in HTML, which I may learn. Most of my research comes from copies of actual records. I have good friends in the UK who have helped me out a great deal. My problem is with MyFamily and Ancestry. Someone has uploaded my research and I am horrified that this is all legal and then they sell the information. I can't even access myown research on MyFamily. I have fussed with them and the submitter for four years, but the info is still up. Now My Family has a bot crawling my site. Is this illegal? I have some copyright protection which means nothing to these people. I have not used the IGI because it is so unreliable, but now my research is all over it. Is there any way to keep them away from my site? Please help!

Ruth

Jodi Sweere

Hi Ruth,

You can block anyone from viewing or crawling your site thru use of an .htaccess file in the root directory.

Just Google .htaccess and you'll find all sorts of info on how to do that. Drop me an email if you need help; it's actually quite simple.

~Jodi

arnold

Once you put your information on the Internet all can see it, all can grab it, and all can do what they want with it, unless you require that folks first log in.

Our website is open to all to visit/see. We do not allow GEDCOM downloads as that is an easy way for folks to quickly grab all that you have. Further, I check our access log frequently to see if anyone is hitting our website too hard. If they do, I deny them access. If someone is hitting our website too hard I suspect that they are data mining. Information from our website has shown up on CDs sold via e-bay. Never again.

I am not clear what folks you want to deny access to. Please advise.

Having a bot crawl your website is not all that bad. The information the bot takes is put into a search engine allowing others to find your website and its individuals. If you are lucky, others will share info with you. Others sharing information with us has been very beneficial.

genfan

Hi,

I am new and have had a family history website for about four years. I have traced my English ancestors back to the early 1700's and have a photo album on my site. I use Front Page which I do not like and Legacy.I have a friend who does my photo album in HTML, which I may learn. Most of my research comes from copies of actual records. I have good friends in the UK who have helped me out a great deal. My problem is with MyFamily and Ancestry. Someone has uploaded my research and I am horrified that this is all legal and then they sell the information. I can't even access myown research on MyFamily. I have fussed with them and the submitter for four years, but the info is still up. Now My Family has a bot crawling my site. Is this illegal? I have some copyright protection which means nothing to these people. I have not used the IGI because it is so unreliable, but now my research is all over it. Is there any way to keep them away from my site? Please help!

Ruth

I guess it really boils down to a mindset.

I do Genealogy for fun. I have no aspirations of becoming wealthy from the research I do, in fact for me it is a money losing venture but a passion worth the effort. I do not password protect my data it is freely open and available for all to use. I ask that my data not be used for commercial purposes but I know that it still could be. I want to share all that I have in the event that others will do the same for me. I guess I believe in the golden rule and the mantra of "Pay it forward". I have met many like minded researchers online and both parties have greatly benefited from each other. Occasionally I will come across someone who is unwilling to share and I am ok with that. I still allow them access to whatever they want.

The only thing I adhere to is information about living people. Because we live in a day and age where Identity theft is a common place activity I do my utmost to assure that any living information is kept confidential. I do not post any information other than a name for living persons and even that some might say is too much...

My simple philosophy is all about meeting new people who are doing like-minded research, living family members and to grow my tree. I find the best way to do this is to share all that I have. I would do no less if you knocked on my door and asked for some food to eat or a place to sleep. Life is to short to worry about what harm others might do...

I know others may and will argue the point and yes I am sure there are commercial companies today profiting off of my work but there is no greater joy then hearing the hoots and hollers when someone finds the information they have been looking for on my website. It makes my work all the more satisfying...

Thanks,

GENFAN :shock:

ruth

Hi Ruth,

You can block anyone from viewing or crawling your site thru use of an .htaccess file in the root directory.

Just Google .htaccess and you'll find all sorts of info on how to do that. Drop me an email if you need help; it's actually quite simple.

~Jodi

ruth

Hi Ruth,

~Jodi

Thank you for the input. I do know there are bots crawling all over my site, I just get antsy about MyFamily and its affiliates. I just went through a battle with them because my tree was added to someones tree who is not connected to me. Same name, wrong person. It was upsetting to see my mother on the IGI two years after her death. So I tracked down the submitter and contacted Ancestry and MyFamily. I guess it is really a religious thing.

I love doing my tree, I have connected with several possible relatives and some directs. I also have a family connect link.

my site is

http://woodheadfamilytree.com

Mostly I would like people to let me know before they use my information. I have lots of info to share with the right people. I don't want to password protect it, I do want to keep it open. If I could block anything out, it would be the people who harvest information for profit.

My site is evolving and my son wants me to change the format. I haven't seen any templates I really like and don't have much money. I feel claustrophobic with Front Page but don't know anything else. Does anyone know where I can find a format that is genealogy centered and not expensive?

Thank you for all your responses.

Ruth

rritger

My site is evolving and my son wants me to change the format. I haven't seen any templates I really like and don't have much money. I feel claustrophobic with Front Page but don't know anything else. Does anyone know where I can find a format that is genealogy centered and not expensive?

Ruth:

I took a very quick look at your site. I don't see a link to a TNG powered website but perhaps I missed it. Let us know if you are using TNG or indeed are authoring the site with Frontpage only.