TNG Community

USER logic

bridgebum

I'm a newbie, and can't grasp the logic of why to create user accounts? If anyone visits my TNG site, it seems everything can be seen. What should be restricted? How and what do you set restrictions to be for Guest visitors? I understand one can set restrictions for registered accounts to specific trees, but if you do not have but one tree, what good is that? I'm missing something here. Thanks.

User accounts can be helpful if you want to restrict data from the general public, such as birth dates and names of people that are living. This way you can store that information in TNG without 'compromising' some privacy.

Also, creating users can allow those you trust to help out in putting information in about individuals.

For those visitors to my site, I set the privacy options (under TNG Admin - Setup >> Configuration >> General Settings >> Privacy)

Require Login: NO

Show LDS Data: Depends on user rights

Show Living Data: Depends on user rights

Show Names for Living: Abbreviate first name

This provides some privacy about those who are living. It can be more restrictive if desired.

From the help file:

Require Login

Normally anyone can view your public pages, with a login to see data for living individuals being optional. If, however, you want to require everyone to log in before they can see anything beyond the home page, check this box.

Show LDS Data

To always show LDS data (where available), select Always (this was the default before). To turn off all LDS information and the ability to manually enter LDS data, select Never. To make this switch dependent on user permissions, select Depending on user rights. In this case, only logged-in users who have rights to see LDS data will see it. It will be hidden from all others.

Show Living Data

To always show living data (dates and places for living individuals), select Always. To turn off all living information, select Never. To make the display of living data dependent on user permissions, select Depending on user rights. In this case, only logged-in users who have rights to see living data will see it. It will be hidden from all others.

Show Names for Living

To hide the names of individuals marked as Living (no death or burial information, plus a birthdate less than 110 years ago), select No. Names of living individuals will be replaced with the word "Living". To show the surname and first initial(s) of living individuals, select Abbreviate first name. To always show all names for everyone, select Yes.

HTH,

Rush

When you create users, you can grant them permission to edit your data, and you can use trees and branches to designate what groups of data each user can edit. Permissions let you control what users can DO, not what they can SEE (except for "living" and "LDS" data).

This was really helpful information to me. However, I've tried to clear a couple folks who've registered -- and grant them permission to see information about living people. When I try to update their records, I get an error message:

Cannot execute query: UPDATE tng_users

Any idea what's causing the problem?

• 4 weeks later...

When you create users, you can grant them permission to edit your data, and you can use trees and branches to designate what groups of data each user can edit. Permissions let you control what users can DO, not what they can SEE (except for "living" and "LDS" data).

How do you set up a "guest user" as a default without creating a password when setting the permissions? I can't save the user without including a password? As you can see, I'm a newbie. Thanks for your help. This is a bit frustrating.

Gene

Gene,

I'd recommend setting up different "Guest" accounts for different groups or family lines you may give them out to.

For example, I have a "Norsk Guest" account for my Norwegian cousins, and "Smith Guest", "Jones Guest", etc. for my various family lines. All of them have "guest" as the default password. Very handy to give out the "Smith Guest" login while I'm at a Smith family reunion or gathering.

This way, I can see on the Access Log how a new unidentified user is tied to my family.

Andy