TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
Hilmy

How to hide christening fields?

Hilmy

Hi,

I am new to TNG and hope this is the correct place to post this question. I have tried searching the forums but haven't found any solutions.

How can I hide the christening details and other fields? I am entering the data manually and I want to make it as simple as possible for my users with as few entries as possible. I have found the setting to hide the LDS details allright.

Is there a setting available or do I have to do it in code or the stylesheets?

Thanks.

aewold

Hilmy,

There isn't a setting to hide the christening details from the data entry screen or the information display screens.

You will probably need to remove the code for it in the appropriate file(s), and any updates will more than likely overwrite any changes you have made.

I would highly recommend against it.

Andy

Hilmy

How about hiding it using the stylesheet setting display:none? What would be the id of the relevant div? Could I just add the definiton to the stylesheet?

We don't have christening data in our family and I don't like to present something that's nor going to be used.

Additionally, would it be possible in the same way to suppress the death/burial details if the Living flag is set? If the person is living, no need to see or enter death data.

vectis

How about hiding it using the stylesheet setting display:none? What would be the id of the relevant div? Could I just add the definiton to the stylesheet?

We don't have christening data in our family and I don't like to present something that's nor going to be used.

Additionally, would it be possible in the same way to suppress the death/burial details if the Living flag is set? If the person is living, no need to see or enter death data.

If you don't have christening data in your family, i.e. there are no christening details available, then it won't be displayed. The data will only "show up" if it is entered I believe. For death/burial the same is true, users will not see death/burial information for living people because they won't have death or burial information (hopefully) :D

Hilmy

If you don't have christening data in your family, i.e. there are no christening details available, then it won't be displayed. The data will only "show up" if it is entered I believe. For death/burial the same is true, users will not see death/burial information for living people because they won't have death or burial information (hopefully) :D

You're right the data will not be shown if it is not entered. I'm talking about the data entry screen. As I said earlier, I am entering the data manually, so I get a whole bunch of fields that I don't use which I would like to hide.

arnold

Hilmy,

Fields you do not enter data into do not appear.

I went to our website and experimented. As administrator, I added a date in the "Christening Date:" field. Only then did anything appear on the individual's webpage as "Christened" when I viewed the page as a visitor.

Hope this answers your concern,

Arnold

rdmorss

I agree with aewold (post #2). There's no way to change the display of these items short of editing the php files manually. And there are no identifiers that would enable you to use CSS techniques to hide them. It is not recommended to do a lot of code modifications by hand because every time TNG is updated you have to do it all over again.

Hilmy

Thanks everyone. I just read elsewhere in this forum that TNG was not designed for manual data entry, but rather through gedcom files. Well for those who enter their data manually, and get their users to enter their data manually, perhaps a future update could include at least an ID'ed div around different parts of the data entry screens which can then be selectively manipulated by css for visibility or presentation.

Russellgs

Thanks everyone. I just read elsewhere in this forum that TNG was not designed for manual data entry, but rather through gedcom files. Well for those who enter their data manually, and get their users to enter their data manually, perhaps a future update could include at least an ID'ed div around different parts of the data entry screens which can then be selectively manipulated by css for visibility or presentation.

Not true, if you have administrative rights to edit or add files, then you can enter stuff manually.

russ

idgie

I agree with aewold (post #2). There's no way to change the display of these items short of editing the php files manually. And there are no identifiers that would enable you to use CSS techniques to hide them. It is not recommended to do a lot of code modifications by hand because every time TNG is updated you have to do it all over again.

Could someone please explain how to edit the php files manually? I've already deleted the headings for Christening and a couple of other categories, but can't figure out how to remove the blanks for entering the data. What file should I edit to get rid of the extra blank fields?

brumer

Once you open each page in your browser you look at the address bar & write down that .php file.

Then go in via FTP & bring it down to your comp. Edit it in Notepad or whatever other program you use for writing your websites, until you get the desired effect & then upload it again.

It can be a lot of trial and error to get it right.

I hope you read the other peoples advice regarding NOT doing it, but hey!, it's a free world.

Make sure you back up each file BEFORE you alter it because if you get "lost", you can restore it & start again.

Good luck! I hope you have patience!

gleehan

Could someone please explain how to edit the php files manually? I've already deleted the headings for Christening and a couple of other categories, but can't figure out how to remove the blanks for entering the data. What file should I edit to get rid of the extra blank fields?

If you are seing blanks for entering you must me in Administration... the files are in the admin folder. The christening blanks (sometimes called baptism in field names) are in the editperson.php file. Blanks come from statements with "input" in them. To get rid of christening stuff you could remove:

<tr><td valign="top"><span class="normal"><?php echo $admtext[bapldate]; ?>:</span></td><td><input type="text" value="<?php echo "$row[baptdate]"; ?>" name="baptdate" onBlur="checkDate(this);">

<input type="button" value="<?php echo $admtext[more] . $gotmore[bAPL]; ?>" onClick="showMore( 'BAPL' );"> <input type="button" value="<?php echo $admtext[notes] . $gotnotes[bAPL]; ?>" onClick="showNotes( 'BAPL' );"> <input type="button" value="<?php echo $admtext[sources] . $gotcites[bAPL]; ?>" onClick="showCitations( 'BAPL', '<?php echo $personID; ?>' );"></td></tr>

<tr><td valign="top"><span class="normal"><?php echo $admtext[baplplace]; ?>:</span></td><td><input type="text" value="<?php echo "$row[baptplace]"; ?>" name="baptplace" size="50">

<input type="button" value="<?php echo $admtext[find]; ?>" onClick="window.open('findplaceform.php?field=baptplace&tree=<?php echo $tree; ?>&place=' + document.form1.baptplace.value,'','width=300,height=400,status=no,resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes');"></td></tr>

I repeat the caution agains editing too much and thereby making updates and the addition of other people's mods more difficult, particularly if the problem is associated with edit fields seen only by the administrator. I have several great mods I'ld like to share, but they are layered on top of other mods (mine and others') so installation instructions would be tortuous.

idgie

that worked like a charm. i'd really like to thank you all for your help. :D