TNG Community

Showing step children at person step father

Helmut Haufler-Knoepfle

Helmut Haufler-Knoepfle

Perhaps I just don`t find the right setup or mod.

I would like to see my stepchildren, kids out of the first marriage of my wife, on my person overview.

Up to now i always have to switch to my wife

Any ideas?

tngrlkrz

May not be exactly what you want, but the Show_All_Family mod will at least provide a 'other spouses' link under your wife on your person page, which you can click to see the step children.  Also, the Add_Person_Siblings_Row will show half-siblings.

Ron

6 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

the Show_All_Family mod

On the Show All Family mod page, under Related mods there some individual mods if you do not have a need for all the options in Show All Family.

image.png

Helmut Haufler-Knoepfle

High Ron and Bret

I installed "Show All Family " and "Add Persons Sybling Row".

Both don`t do the trick. What I would like to see besides my person is my spouse and her sybling from her first marriage.

I do find it strange not seeing my step childs

tngrlkrz
3 hours ago, Helmut Haufler-Knoepfle said:

my spouse and her sybling from her first marriage

I know of no mod to do give you that on your personal profile page.  You would have to click on your spouse to see her siblings and children by another marriage.

Ron

10 hours ago, Helmut Haufler-Knoepfle said:

What I would like to see besides my person is my spouse and her sybling from her first marriage.

Just to be clear, sibling means brother or sister, so what you are actually saying here is your spouse and her brothers and sisters, which I think it not what you mean.

I think what you mean is you want your current spouse and all her offspring, which means children, to appear, regardless of which family they are from.

I don't know if there are any Mods to do that, as I use very few Mods, so I would take Ron's word for it as he is more experienced.

What you may be able to do is assign your step-children to more than one family. Currently they will be assigned to the family record of your spouse and her ex-partner. You should be able to also assign the children to your family record, consisting of you and your spouse. You can add them to this record as biological children of your spouse, and adopted children of yourself, if that suits you, or other combinations are available.

This is relatively easy to do in family history software, but I'm not sure how you go about it in TNG. I would start by looking at one of the children and seeing if you can assign that child to an additional family record. If this is successful, that child should then appear on your page. They may appear twice on your spouse's page, once under each family, which may look a bit odd, but will be correct.

I strongly advise you to do a full backup of all your tables before you start experimenting (Admin > Utilities) so you can do a full restore if things go wrong.

Michael T. Jones

I don't have any php coding skills, but through quite a bit of trial and error I was able to adapt the Add Person Siblings Row mod code to show step siblings and step children. If you're interested in trying it (I make no guarantees), send me a direct message. Or, I'm happy to share with a wider audience if a savvy coder would be willing to support it, as I don't feel I have the skills to maintain or update it.

2 hours ago, Michael T. Jones said:

send me a direct message

PM sent re willing to support it

Ken Roy

Brett,

Michael sent me the mod.  Let me see where it fits in with what Jean-Luc added for Step-Siblings in the Add Person Siblings Row that I support

Thanks Ken

I will wait for your update.

tngrlkrz
2 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

Add Person Siblings Row that I support

Let me know when/if you get to a point of taking this further.  As you know, a number of us have worked quite a bit on the Add Person Siblings mod over the years.

Ron

Ken Roy

@Michael T. Jones

Michael,

Thanks for sending me your mod. I hope I did not mislead you. I decided not to pursue anything with your mod for the following reasons:

•  mod does not followiing mod naming standards where the first 3 digits should indicate the minimum TNG version the mod works on but reverts back to mod versions numbers used before the Mod Manager was integrated into TNG
  •  mod does not install on my site (line 1680 %target:data/mods/add_person_siblings_row_v14.0.0.8.cfg%)
  •  mod modifies another mod which several of us have spent numerous hours eliminate mods that modified other mods 

I currently do not have the time to deal with all the changes and testing needed for multiple reasons.

Kind Regards in finding some one willing to take on the challenge.

Michael T. Jones

Hi Ken,

Understood. A few comments:

1) the mod has been private so naming standards weren't followed (yet)

2) per the mod "details" you need to modify your mod folder location. I would imagine you would need to delete data/ from the target in line 1680

3) I don't recall that it modified any other mods, but it does use some functions from other mods; I do see how that could be problematic

tngrlkrz

Michael,

Per my earlier request, Ken forwarded your private mod, which, after some difficulty, I was able to install on a sandbox  I shall PM my thoughts to you on issues after a bit of time to review.

Ron

tngrlkrz
On 4/3/2024 at 5:10 PM, Ken Roy said:

Step-Siblings in the Add Person Siblings Row

I believe Half-Siblings were added, but not Step-Siblings.  Step-Parents were added by Show Step Parents mod. 

Ron

Ken Roy
8 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

I believe Half-Siblings were added, but not Step-Siblings.  Step-Parents were added by Show Step Parents mod. 

Show Step Parents mod was dropped by Scott when he incorporated all his individual mods into Show All Family. Brett resurrected the Show Step Parents mod as an individual mod but It cannot be installed if you use Show All Family.  So something is missing when the Add Person Siblings Row and Show All Family mods were reworked to eliminate code that modifies other mods but rather incorporate the code into both mods

I personally do not have the time to co-ordinate the effort required to make this happen.

tngrlkrz
3 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

Brett resurrected the Show Step Parents mod as an individual mod but It cannot be installed if you use Show All Family. 

Actually, even though I just noticed the mods' respective Wiki notes incompatibility, I have the latest unmodified wiki Add Person Siblings Row, Show Step Parents and Show All Family mods installed together, and Step Parents are displayed, and in this example, all looks proper.  Both parents were married before and had children by all 3 marriages.

image.png

Ron

Ken Roy

But where are the Step-Children shown?  Original request was to show the step-children

On 4/1/2024 at 6:13 PM, Helmut Haufler-Knoepfle said:

Both don`t do the trick. What I would like to see besides my person is my spouse and her sybling from her first marriage.

Katryne

Someday we could have to ask Jean-Luc Halleux, I believe he had being thinking about implementing it in TNG since we talked on our French forum about the term to use in French for step-sibling. (For anyone interested, it's quasi-frère ou sœur).https://agora.chauvigne.info/viewtopic.php?pid=2524#p2524

But I did not see this in action in any mod available. If Jean-Luc managed to do it, it must be still in beta version, somewhere ...

tngrlkrz
1 hour ago, Ken Roy said:

But where are the Step-Children shown

Ken,  I was only addressing your comment about the Step Parents mod and the Show All Family mod being incompatible, not whether Step Children or Step Siblings are displayed. Wondering if the Show All Family and Show Step Parents Wiki articles should have the restriction of not being installed together lifted? A question for Brett and Scott, I guess.

Actually, Michael's private mod does show Step Children and Step Siblings, but for support, maintenance, and other technical reasons, the mod, at this time, appears unpublishable.  I have responded privately to Michael with my reasons for saying that.

Ron

tngrlkrz
On 4/1/2024 at 3:13 PM, Helmut Haufler-Knoepfle said:

What I would like to see besides my person is my spouse and her sybling from her first marriage.

Even Michael's private mod would not show a person's other spouses' siblings, only spouse's chidren,i.e., the person's step-children.

4 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

Even Michael's private mod would not show a person's other spouses' siblings, only spouse's chidren,i.e., the person's step-children.

I wrote a post some way back which suggested that siblings might be a misnomer, perhaps due to language differences. I think offspring rather than siblings was meant.

The OP seems to have gone very quiet. I would still suggest trying my method of adding the children to the secondary family record. This avoids the need for any Mods.

Adrian,

Siblings is the correct term since the information shows in the Individual person's Info section.

21 minutes ago, ADC said:

I wrote a post some way back which suggested that siblings might be a misnomer, perhaps due to language differences. I think offspring rather than siblings was meant.

I do not think offspring would be correct since it is a synonyms for children, sons and daughters, and not for brothers and sisters.  My step-grandfather's page shows my step-father's brothers and sister and his half-brothers.

My grand-father Roy was married 3 times.  First and 3rd wife were sisters.  No where do step-siblings show on the same page in TNG.

Siblings_Half_Siblings_2024-04-06_155739.png

3 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

Siblings is the correct term since the information shows in the Individual person's Info section.

Hello Ken

The OP's original question was:

On 4/1/2024 at 2:00 PM, Helmut Haufler-Knoepfle said:

I would like to see my stepchildren, kids out of the first marriage of my wife, on my person overview.

So he wants to see the children of his current wife from her previous marriage. They are not his siblings, or her siblings, they are her offspring - by her previous partner. He says he has to swap to his current wife's profile to see them (which would be true since they belong to that family record).

The OP then muddied the water by mentioning siblings, but I believe he used the word incorrectly. I'm happy to be corrected, but this was the original post.

I think I manage to do it. Tell me if it's something of the kind you want. It's on my test TNG : https://geneakat2023.chauvigne.info/getperson.php?personID=I2329&tree=kati

When Caroline and Auguste got married, they were widows, both of them, and each had children from a previous marriage.
On Caroline's get person page, one can see her 2 weddings. And a kind of 3rd one were her step-son Jean appears. The kind of relationship is noted in French ( mother : belle-mère, whith means step-mother), but I can't remember how i could put it in English. One can choose the type of relationship in the child's editing page)

image.png