TNG Community

Creating a Report on Famous Kin

Kathy

Some of my relatives want me to make a Report on our famous relatives or "famous kin" (as on FamousKin.com). I don't mind doing this. I can make a simple report listing such relatives, but I can't figure out how to sort them by relatedness. The famous kin.com page lists lineal relatives first (e.g. 9th - 10th great grandparents) followed by collateral "famous" relatives in their order of relatedness (e.g. 4th cousin 6 times removed coming before 4th cousin 7 times removed). Any suggestions?

Also, it would be nice if such a report could be customized to the user logging in.

How many famous people would be in the list? This is a bit tricky as you need to run a relationship calculator against each one vs. the target person. You also need to make a connection from a logged-in user to a person in the tree. 

I've done this on my site with a lot of customizations for DNA matches/relatives. As far as sorting, I use the expected amount of shared DNA (e.g. 12.5% for a 1st cousin).

GOGGS

Thanks. I'm not planning on more than 25-30 people, so customizing would not be an issue. I think what I'm looking for is a way to calculate and then sort on degrees of separation.  

Kathy

When I get some time to sit at my other computer, I can send something along for this. We have good weather and visiting family/friends so it might be a couple of days. In the meantime, I'll send you a file that runs the algorithm to calc the relationship between 2 people in a tree.

Also, use the following formula to rank how far "away" someone is based on the relationship, e.g. 1C3R, where each "step" is a theoretical halving of shared DNA. Lower numbers equals closer relationship. Half relationship adds another + 1 to the total.

C number x 2 + 1 plus R number (+ 1 if Half)

So 1C3R = ((1 x 2) +1) + 3 = 6 steps.

And 3C1R = ((3 x 2) + 1) + 1 = 8 steps

H3C1R = 9 steps

GOGGS