TNG Community

myPHP Guestbook integration issues - SOLVED

Brenda

Good afternoon;

I have successfully installed myPHP Guestbook <https://www.brpedersen.com/myPHP_Guestbook/myPHP_Guestbook_4.10.9/index.php>

Previously I used Lazarus Guestbook. It was installed at the same level as my genealogy directory, in which I have TNG. (I have no TNG folder, I have all in genealogy)

I've installed myPHP Guestbook at the same level. And for the life of me, can't get the new guestbook to pick up the header, footer, colour scheme, etc., from my website. Does it have to run inside the folder in which TNG runs? I would need to delete and reinstall so the admin path is correct.

I'm fine with the iFrame option. Don't need the includes, etc., I don't think. But I can't even get that to work...

My error may be with the second download (from https://www.php-guestbook.de/index.php#anchor-newvers). I installed the second 'includes' folder at the same level as the myPHP_Guestbook folder. Should it be inside the myPHP_Guestbook folder? (edit - I've deleted this second includes folder from my server, as I will just use iFrame)

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Brenda

Hi, Brenda,

I tried MyPHP Guestbook about a year ago, but did not like it because it did not save submitters' IP addresses (not for displaying to visitors, but for me to see as Admin, in case I need to block certain IPs).

Someone who uses myPHP Guestbook along with their TNG site will hopefully get back to you, but in the mean time I will reinstall myPHP Guestbook and see if I can help you.

Regards,

John

Edit: I just discovered that I still have it installed (HERE), but remember now why I don't use this myPHP Guestbook script: it uses phpMail only, and as all my sites are hosted here in my home & I don't have a mail server, the only way that I can send out emails from my scripts is using SMTP, and the author is unwilling to add this SMTP capability (due to lack of demand) 8-).

But in the coming days, I will try to integrate it so as to be able to have the TNG headers & footers, etc. 

Thank you John. I have managed to get it integrated into my site <https://www.brpedersen.com/genealogy/guestbook.php>

I would like to narrow the frame somewhat, and get the height of the frame to match the (scant at the moment!) content. As is there is a lot of blank space before the bottom of the page. Not sure how one goes about tinkering with the iframe code...

Take care

Brenda

SOLVED - didn't get the frame narrowed, but did get all working as I'd like with the help of the myPHP Guestbook programmer.

Edited by Brenda
solved

• 2 months later...
On 3/27/2023 at 11:45 PM, JMM said:

I tried MyPHP Guestbook about a year ago, but did not like it because it did not save submitters' IP addresses (not for displaying to visitors, but for me to see as Admin, in case I need to block certain IPs).

JMM, may I ask what, if any guestbook script you do use?

1 hour ago, John Paul said:

JMM, may I ask what, if any guestbook script you do use?

Hello, JP,

The guestbook that I have used for the past 17 years is GBook.  It's not fancy like some other guestbooks, but it stores submitters' IP addresses, in case some of them are spammers so I can block those IPs.

The only downside is, it uses the PHP mail() function to notify me that someone's signed my guestbook, requiring me to approve the submittals before they're displayed.  Unfortunately, as I host my TNG site myself, I have no mailserver, and therefore I'm not notified of any guestbook submittals, so I had to writre a batch file to notify me once a day of any submittals :lol:.

Regards,
John

1 hour ago, JMM said:

The guestbook that I have used for the past 17 years is GBook

John, thanks for the info