TNG Community

That "Menu Bar"

edglimited

3 hours ago, Marsha said:

Sounds great to me! Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi Marsha,

This is what I have so far. Live Site can be viewed at Lee - Bulleid Live Site  All Menu's are functional. Home button needs to have Login / Logout added and a few others, like Edit User, FAQ's or similar items.

Screenshot of extended Menu Bar (below) Need to add Icons, add internal Album Links. Test's ok so far.

Site views ok on Mobile Phone, (mine anyway and the wife's) dont know about tablets or other makes of Phones. I don't own an Android or iPhone. Mine is a Computer Phone. Might be an advantage with my Software.  I dont see a Hamburger Menu though, might be because of my Phone OS.

Have added random screen shots from the Mobile.

Cheers Drew..

P/S. Would love to try it out, with one of your Templates. Thanks for asking, let me know when you can send it...😘 Will discuss further through pm.

menubar.jpg

Screenshot_20230205-160112_Trebuchet.png

Screenshot_20230205-160212_Trebuchet.png

Screenshot_20230205-160336_Trebuchet.png

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• edglimited

• RickM

• Marsha

• John Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tain't using the Mod I supplied on that new site???

Do you have two templates in play here?? Seems weird two different colour schemes going on!!

Prob would work well Drew!!

Edited by RickM
A WOW monemt

15 minutes ago, RickM said:

Tain't using the Mod I supplied on that new site???

Do you have two templates in play here?? Seems weird two different colour schemes going on!!

Prob would work well Drew!!

Dont have the Mod installed, until I can work out the issue. It's def at my end within my Software. Managed to get everything on the Bar without the Mod though. Have just tested it across all Templates and they all work quite well. The early ones of course dont show a Menu Bar until you actually do something, like Search or Surname. Pleasing colour schemes across all too. Just need to sort out the Login / Logout and the Edit User. Place them under the Home Button.

I have two Sites showing, one is live, the other is Sandbox. The weird colour schemes are probably from my Phone Screenshots vs my Live Site.

Hi Drew,

The site navigation doesn't work on my iphone, nor does it work when you do the mobile test on TNG.

http://www.lee-bulleid.au/?sitever=mobile

I can get  a new menu bar to show up easily enough on the desktop, but it is always overwritten in mobile. Somehow, we have to figure out how to block the default mobile version and that isn't an easy fix as far as I can tell.

Marsha

Hi Marsha, you just got me before jumping into bed. If you go back on your iphone and go the site again. Once the site is viewable, scroll down to the bottom of the page. There should be a button, saying "switch to standard site". That should then show you the menu bar. That's the mobile over ride. Drew.

Hi Drew,

The problem is that it doesn't switch to the mobile view with the hamburger showing. It just shows smaller text or the menu that wraps under itself. It doesn't' show the "slimmenu" mobile navigation I use with its hamburger menu and dropdowns. I need something that blocks the default mobile AND allows my mobile navigation to show up.

Marsha

1 minute ago, Marsha said:

Hi Drew,

The problem is that it doesn't switch to the mobile view with the hamburger showing. It just shows smaller text or the menu that wraps under itself. It doesn't' show the "slimmenu" mobile navigation I use with its hamburger menu and dropdowns. I need something that blocks the default mobile AND allows my mobile navigation to show up.

Marsha

Ok. Now I follow you. Let me have a look tomorrow and see what I can conjure up. My pillow is calling. Talk tomorrow. Thks.

If I'm going to sell a template that has a new navigation, it has to work without the viewer clicking a button. My menu has to be the default menu instead of TNG's default menu. I'd love to figure this one out and you certainly are dedicated enough to keep trying with it!

Marsha

On 2/4/2023 at 7:45 PM, edglimited said:

I used my coding in my sandbox: https://huntingwithtom.com/tng/index.php 

If you are looking in my sandbox and don't see Template 206 (the one with the trial dropdown menu), then you are seeing me playing with a new template design. If you want to see what the 206 navigation looks like, just email me.

Marsha

2 hours ago, Marsha said:

If you are looking in my sandbox and don't see Template 206 (the one with the trial dropdown menu), then you are seeing me playing with a new template design. If you want to see what the 206 navigation looks like, just email me.

Marsha

Hi Marsha, just sent you an email...

On 2/5/2023 at 6:26 PM, edglimited said:

This is what I have so far. Live Site can be viewed at Lee - Bulleid Live Site  All Menu's are functional. Home button needs to have Login / Logout added and a few others, like Edit User, FAQ's or similar items.

I do like how you have taken the beta Mod I supplied you and made it look like you have done something..

Love that you said

On 2/5/2023 at 7:07 PM, edglimited said:

Dont have the Mod installed, until I can work out the issue. It's def at my end within my Software. Managed to get everything on the Bar without the Mod though.

But you are definitely using the code I supplied..

Oh well.. There are issues with the beta Mod so do be careful going forward..

I've hidden a few posts here towards the end of this thread - yelling at each other doesn't help anyone. 

Telling other members how they should behave isn't helpful

Please keep it on the topic of TNG and civil towards each other

Thanks

Roger

On 2/3/2023 at 12:09 AM, edglimited said:

I did a double check to make sure, that the Mod was compliant with TNG14, but could not find it in the newly added or updated mods for the Mods for TNG v14 category:

It was showing a TNG 14 Badge and was listed as a Mod for TNG 14. I'm guessing that as of today, an update has not yet occured.

ex1.jpg

ex2.jpg

edglimited, I just wanted to add my 2 cents about the custom drop down menu mod.  The mods ok, but I don't actually use the mod anymore.  To me it showed me how to code customconfig and the 2 cust_text files, and Rick showed me how to use it to add to the Info menu.  The only drawback, like you said is it only creates a single dropdown.  I often wondered why they can't expand on that.

As a matter of fact I don't see why some of the really good coders out there won't/can't update some of the other mods that are in the wiki, like the lazarus guestbook and the forum for tng mod.  I have my own personal feelings about that, but I'll just keep that to myself.

Hey it's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

On 2/3/2023 at 8:17 PM, RickM said:

Some really ^%&^% up CSS in Template 19.... Wow no wonder you all are having issues..

You should have a look at my site to see how I modified template 19.  Even added the missing css to get the Feature Links part working, plus  a little playing around with html in the topmenu and index.

14 hours ago, John Paul said:

I just wanted to add my 2 cents about the custom drop down menu mod.  The mods ok, but I don't actually use the mod anymore.

Hey JP, hope you and Donna are well. I used the Drop Down Menu idea back in 2021. Or so I thought. Turns out I had copied the code that Ken Roy had uploaded to Wiki and pasted that into customconfig.php instead ...But then worked out the actual Menu Bar code was already in genlib.php so re-worked that across my Menu Bar. It seems to be a taboo subject for some reason, no-one wants to expand on why it cant be improved.

As a matter of fact I don't see why some of the really good coders out there won't/can't update some of the other mods that are in the wiki, like the lazarus guestbook and the forum for tng mod. 

The TNG Forum was a brilliant concept by @XerxX Erik Hoppe. It involved a hell of a lot of coding, that linked back to various sections within the TNG Software itself. Then sadly, Erik became ill and his project was put on hold. I did a workaround by adding a ForumBB alongside TNG and did a simple link, no-one on my daughters Site was any the wiser. Then I purchased Software with a Forum already installed as part of the Software for another Site. brambles-burnett.au

You should have a look at my site to see how I modified template 19.

You just reminded me, how did you achieve the background picture, (map) was that through the Template or via WP.???

27 minutes ago, edglimited said:

You just reminded me, how did you achieve the background picture, (map) was that through the Template or via WP.???

Thanks for the reply Edglimited.  My background picture is a map of Lithuania I found on the internet somewhere.  Used Photoshop to resize and lighten it up.  It's a div that starts at the end of topmenu.php and the div closes in footer.php and a little bit of CSS in mytngstyle.css.  I'm just using straight tng and a modified template19 at this time.

I tried looking at the forum on the site you mentioned, but it the link didn't go anywhere...

BTW, I've resurrected my wordpress-tng project (kloosterman method) and will be working on that for a while on my local host...get a handle back on wp, astra pro and elementor pro...I think I'll be creating it with looks and feel of several tng templates.  That way I'll have complete control over it all.

4 minutes ago, John Paul said:

I tried looking at the forum on the site you mentioned, but it the link didn't go anywhere...

It's my sandbox site. To view you need to be logged in. If you want too see a version of it in full swing, visit here.... https://livesite.com/features#community

Drew..

that's interesting to say the least.  Don't care for the forum style, I'm more of a 'classic forum' style kind of guy, like phpbb or smf or fudforum...

• 2 months later...

Copied from Member Webpages:
Final changes to the Slimline Menubar, Home Tab and Member Tab. Home Tab now has it's own DDM, with links to TNG Forum, Mods and Software, that used to reside in the TNG Admin page, on some versions of TNG.

After login, the User (depending on his/her rights), has his own area. Makes no difference if your User Name is 125 characters long, all 125 wont show in the User Tab and wont push the other Tabs, "Find" "Media" and "Info", of the slim line bar to the right, as does with the original slim line bar. Guest Tab, shows logout view only. Other Users, such as Editor, Contributor etc, have their own assigned areas. The Admin Hub is also not accessible to some users.!!

Other options include one viewable User Tab, or User Tabs up to a total of 6, or no Tabs at all, the choice is on the creator of the TNG Site. These can be edited via Template options. The "Find" "Media" and "Info" Tabs remain untouched, but can be hidden from view as well, until login, by using a Mod called Menu Manager by @Michel KIRSCH Contact Michel for any info etc.

You can view the slim line menubars at either of our Sites, from the Van Peer Project

mainshot1.jpg

userlogin.jpg

adminlogin.jpg

Guestlogin.jpg

Another project in the works with input from several members from Ubuntu, is Icon Packs for the Slim Menu Bar, or elsewhere within TNG. Several are under development with a range of 22x22 px and 32x32 px. Slightly larger than the normal TNG icons of 16x16 px, but workable and scalable.

Edited by edglimited
removed outdated images

• 3 months later...

In my experience, the link is located in a code set that you can't get to unless you're using some type of mod. Others may have a solution for you, for example; using a menu link mod or possibly changing it in the administration section. Where would you like it to go instead?

Marsha
Genealogy Web Templates.

Rob Severijns

Hi Windsurfer,

As far as I know it is under:

Setup >> Configuration >> General Settings >> Mail and Registration