TNG Community

Umlaut problems after upgrading to TNG 14

Macavity

Since upgrading to from TNG 13.2 to TNG 14 Umlauts are not accepted in the German welcome text (I'm using template 13) and strange characters have replaced Umlauts everywhere else on the German language site. I have tried both German languages offered (German and German UTF-8) to no avail. Can you help me here?
Thanks!

P.S. In the welcome text it works as soon as a use the html umlaut codes such as ä

Go to your cPanel and find phpMyAdmin - then take a look at the database, and look at all the tables - what collation shows for them. Is it the same collation for all the tables?

Take a look in TNG Admin ------> Setup ------> Language

What is set there for the folder and for the Character Set?

All these should be in agreement using UTF-8

Roger

Thank you 'theKiwi'.
For some incomprehensible reason the German character set was ISO-8859-1. I changed it to UTF-8 as you recommended and now it seems to work alright.

• 2 months later...

Hello, 

my language settings are set to UTF-8, BUT the Advanced Search doesn‘t find names containing german Umlauts like ö. If I search for the name Vögel, it finds all the persons named Vogel. How to correct this error?

If I search for vogel I get 50 pages of results.

The Vögel names are there at the end of those 50 pages.

Try search for Bosch since you have less of them - the Bösch names are there with the Bosch names

Roger

I think this comes down to the collation that you've chosen for the database - some UTF-8 collations have equivalency between letters like o and ö, others keep them separate I think.

in your case it's treating o and ö as equal, so I'm not sure how you can find the Bosch and omit the Bösch

Roger

Thank you Roger.

If I understand well, I have to accept that no differenciation betwen ö and o is possible in the search query.

Nico

22 timer siden, NicoM skrev:

If I understand well, I have to accept that no differenciation betwen ö and o is possible in the search query.

Have you tried MySQL 8 with these German collations?

B4D20D8D-2459-4643-A846-7BB2885468C6.jpeg

Thank you Kare!

Fine, but where do I have to change the language settings to comply with what you propose? In the Admin Language section  I cannot select these options.

Nico

30 minutes ago, NicoM said:

Fine, but where do I have to change the language settings to comply with what you propose? In the Admin Language section  I cannot select these options.

This is the collation of the database tables. 

You can change it using phpMyAdmin - make a backup of the database before you start!

Roger

I do not think it is as simple as changing collation sequence.  Some host provide a database converter to convert your database from MySQL5 to MySQL8

ICDSoft for example in their cPanel MySQL Database has a tab to convert MySQL 5 to MySQL 8

This section allows you to convert your existing MySQL 5 databases into MySQL 8.

I achieved i getting it done. After changing the collation of the names data set of the people table to utf8mbr_german2_ci the result of the search query is correct and differnciates between o and ö.

Thank you.

Nico