TNG Community

Can't add media to TNG 12.0.1

kwbush

Trying to add media (photo) to an individual I get  an "undefined person" error. This is something completely new. In the past I was able to add media without problems now out of the blue my people come up as "undefined"  does anyone have a idea what is wrong? Or how to fix this anomaly.

Thanks,

keith w bush

buschgenealogy.net 

Undefined person(1).jpeg

Rob Severijns

Keith,

Have you checked if the individual P414 is actualy in the database for it seems it's not.

By default the prefix for individuals is "I" (Capital i) unless you changed it.

Yes Rob this indvidual is in my data base... He's my son.  All individuals have been changed to "P". Early on in another version upgrade a number of my people were "I's" and the  rest "P's" so I arbitrarily change ALL to "P's" seems like another screw up on my part...

Why there has to be an "I" AND a "P" is beyond my comprehension.  

Any help out there? 

What am I to do? I can't add media to any of my "people"... This seems to me to be a codeing issue... FRUSTRATION doesn't begin to define how I feel. I am beginning to become less and less TNG friendly.

Rob Severijns

Keith,

I can imagine your frustration.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

Maybe one of your countrymen has the abbility to help you out.

It's not because I don't want to but there's the time difference between the US and the Netherlands and secondly I will have to get to work again so time will be limited.

You will probably need to grant someone admin rights to your website so he/she can check what might be wrong.

If nobody is comming to aid get back to me again and I'll see what I can do for you.

36 minutes ago, kwbush said:

Why there has to be an "I" AND a "P" is beyond my comprehension.

There should only be one prefix in your database and not both.

Hope you get things fixed soon.

Keith.. as Rob has pointed out, there should only be one prefix in your database. That's how TNG calls it. "I" is for individual, "P" is for ????

How many did you change to "P"

I have included a screenshot from Admin to show you the prefix's etc.

Drew..

person.jpg

Note that If a GEDCOM file is imported from Ancestry their prefix might be P.

TNG Import Settings has an option to  Change incoming prefixes to match TNG settings  (it is there in TNG 13.1.2 and 14).  I do not know how far back it goes.  Last line in Import Settings

One other thing to consider. Events and Media links are not replaced.  if the Prefix was changed after a previous import that could be you issued.

Sometimes I will manually delete the rows of several tables (and reset the Auto-increment) before doing a fresh import.

You do NOT want to delete rows of tables where you can not do a fresh import. You should always do a backup of tables before attempting.

It could be something like a media link is not set correctly. Not sure what the official list says (and if it varies from version), but not all tables actually replace all rows as one might think.

Tables might include but not limited to: Media, MediaLinks, events, eventypes, cemeteries. (off the top of my head).

Kevin

edglimited thank you for your advice... actually there are over 51,000 souls in our tree on Ancestry. The TNG site includes only 27,000+.

Ken thank you too... the original gedcom was imported from Ancestry. Ken, you seem to me to be, aside from Darrin, the most knowledgeable of TNG. That said what would you do?

does it make sense to start from scratch? Should I purchase ver.14, install another gedcom and possibly save myself a lot of trouble? I don't know. The program isn't totally useless I just can't add media... I have approximately 6 or 7 gedcoms made at various times as our Ancestry site grew. I could use any one of them I guess. Your advice is appreciated more than you know!

KevyNC thank you also... As I stated in an earlier post I know just enough about the program to get into a heap of trouble... I don't think I ever backed up the data base, I wouldn't know where to back it up to! 

Backup can be done from Admin/ Utilities.

Slightly changed in v14. 

both backup the select tables so they can restored later.  v14 adds some stuff

Previous versions add a csv file to backup folder

Kevin

SOLVED  Oh well... here goes the humble pie consumption... I was trying to add media all the wrong way. I should have read how to do it in the first place!!!

Thank you everyone who offered advice and moral support. TNG is NOT user friendly if you have NO expierence with computers.

Programmers think entirely different from the great unlearned in the computer arts BUT HEY if you follow their directions (DUH), you won't have the trouble I experienced. Actually adding media is VERY easy..

Forgive me for wasting y'alls time.