TNG Community

SOLVED: export/import gedcom issue

John Paul

Hello all.  Here's my issue.

I have to reinstall tng on my localhost after a PC rebuild.  I have a gedcom from my live site that I'll use to import to the local site.  I have media and Geo data attached to individuals on the live site.

What would be the proper way for me to import all this data to the local site without having to manually re-do everything?  Gedcom? Database? both?  Thanks.

You should make the localhost the same TNG version as the live site, and then use the Backup from TNG Admin ------> Utilities on the live site to create a MySQL backup of the tables and table structure, and then Restore the table structure and the tables to the new site on your localhost.=

Copy all the files from the live site to the localhost and then edit config.php to remove the rootpath setting and the Genealogy URL since they're different from the live site to the localhost. See

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/Why_you_cannot_move_a_site_by_GEDCOM_alone

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/Database_-_Backup

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/Database_-_Restore

Roger

thank you. I'll give it a try and let you know how it went.

ok, my live site is an upgrade to 3.1.2, but the local site is 3.1.2 full install....

ok, so how do I restore from the backup?  there's no option to pick the backup folder....?  guess I should have read the wiki article on restore, huh?

I can't get it to work right.

Is it because of the 3.1.2 upgrade (the SQL backup) vs the 3.1.2 full install (localhost)?

do create a blank db and restore BEFORE I install tng? Then would I not create the tables during the install?

or do I just ftp the whole live site to the localhost, restore to a blank db, then edit config.php?

I'm confused...sorry.

On your localhost use phpMyAdmin to create a new database for TNG, and a User with access to that database

Run a Backup on your Live site from TNG Admin ------> Utilities ------> Backup and also back up the Table Structures

Copy ALL the files from your live site to your localhost into whatever folder there they need to be - including the backups folder that contains the database backups

Go to TNG Admin ------> Setup ------> General Settings ------> Database and change the credentials needed to access the new database on the localhost

Go to TNG Admin ------> Setup ------> General Settings ------> Paths and Folders and delete the entry that is there for rootpath.  Save the changes.

Go to TNG Admin ------> Setup ------> General Settings ------> Site Design and Definition and alter the entry for Genealogy URL so it's correct for your localhost

Go to TNG Admin ------> Utilities and Restore the table structure, then Restore all of the tables.

That should do it

Roger

OK, success on the 1st 3 instructions, but the rest I cannot access the local tng admin page....edited the config.php file to the proper localhost db, but still cannot access localhost/tng/admin.php.

please advise.

thank you for your time and knowledge creating these instructions.  I understand them better than the wiki articles.

UPDATE:  did I need to have tng already installed then overwrite it with the live site files?  I'm going to try that....

UPDATE:  well, that didn't work either.  still cannot access admin.php to finishe the last 4 steps.

Edited by John Paul
update post

Roger, don't know exactly ow I did it, but following your steps (I may have modified some of the first 3 steps, just can't remember...) I got it transferred and working.  just have to set the template up and that's it.

Thank you again for your time and knowledge in creating these steps.  Very Helpful indeed.