TNG Community

What is purpose of Families?

idogenealogy

I've searched the wiki and the forum and saw a few references to "families" but I don't understand its purpose.
I know this is sorta a dumb question but to be the third thing listed on the Admin nav I figure it has to have some importance. And right now I don't see it.

Thanks in advance ...

Michael T. Jones

I see what you mean in asking this question. I'm sure others have a better explanation, but I would say families is the way individuals in TNG (as well as GEDCOM) are linked together: that being a mother and a father and children (if any). Without them, the database would consist of unlinked individuals. If you only import data from a desktop program, you might not find yourself using the families admin area much.

I doubt the position in the menu is all that important - more likely just an arbitrary placement. Go to the family section of your admin and near the top , under the 'search', 'Add New' and 'review' tabs is a link to "help for this area" . (similar help files on all pages in the admin)

Thank you, Michael and Chris. Both of you answered my question. I think something should be added to the wiki.

And Chris -- as many times as I have seen it on other form pages -- I had not noticed "Help for this area". I suggest that it be moved into a tab and the color of the tab be made soft yellow with black italics lettering. In other words, make it stand out more. 

Thanks again !!!!!!!
Lynda

9 hours ago, idogenealogy said:

Thank you, Michael and Chris. Both of you answered my question. I think something should be added to the wiki.

And Chris -- as many times as I have seen it on other form pages -- I had not noticed "Help for this area". I suggest that it be moved into a tab and the color of the tab be made soft yellow with black italics lettering. In other words, make it stand out more. 

Thanks again !!!!!!!
Lynda

If you want it changed contact Darrin directly and also post here: https://tng.community/index.php?/forums/forum/10-new-ideas-and-suggestions/