TNG Community

Collapse Media?

c18913

Hi all,

I'm very new, so my apologies if this is obvious. I've searched here and on the TNG WIKI, but can't seem to find an answer. 

I'd like to be able to collapse the media on the person page, especially documents. For some people, I have 10-20 documents and the list takes up a great deal of page real estate and pushes the map way down to the bottom. If there's not a way to collapse photos and documents listings, is there perhaps a way to move the event map higher on the page?

I'm using the regroup person/profile mod and I"m generally happy with the changes that allows, but I really need to get the documents list compressed.

Here is an example of a page with a long document list (guest user login name: guest, password; guest)

https://christymckenna.net/getperson.php?personID=I2&tree=McKenna

THanks and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone.

--Christy

Rob, that looks perfect. Quick question ... is there a list of tags somewhere? What would I use for documents and media in the options panel? (I guessed and was wrong .... "docu" and "phot" don't work!)

Thanks for your help

Rob Severijns

Christy,

There is a list of available tags.

They are linked to either Individual, Family, Repository or Source.

If you go to Admin >> Custom Event Types you have the abillity to pick one or more or even create your own.

There's also an optition in the Import menu that lets you import Event types only from a GEDCOM created in an other genealogy program.

In the Admin >> Media menu there is an option to create your own collections.

I have collections of military awards, newspaper articles, old maps and newsletters.

Rob

So if I understand, are you saying that I need to create a custom event type (like "doc2")? Then use the controls in the group custom events mod to tell it to collapse the items?

Would I associate it the new custom event with Individual, Family, Repository, or Source? Where/how do I connect it to the person and document? I have many documents that are linked to a number of people.

I would like to end up with the document list collapsed as you have it on this page on your site: https://www.severijns.family/Severijns/getperson.php?personID=I292&tree=Sev1

Rob Severijns

Christy,

Custom event types aren't meant for media files.

Your example "doc2" would be a media collection just like "newspaper" is.

You can set the collapsable menu's in the options for the Group Custom Event types.

Rob

Edited by Rob Severijns

Ok. so "documents" is a media collection (like photos, or headstones, or something else I create as a new collection).

I don't see any controls in the group custom events controls that would apply to media collections ... the group custom events takes things like occu, resi (see screenshot)

What would I put to indicate I want the Media Documents collection collapse?

Screenshot 2022-11-20 16.39.53.png

BINGO! That's what I need (although I learned a great deal playing around with the other mods!). I swear I did a search in the WIKI for collapse media but somehow I didn't get this. Thanks so much for your help.

Well, the Admin > Setup > General Settings > Media section option that says Hide personal media: is not entirely obvious that it means Collapse personal media.

I had to dig through my memory cells since that option was added in TNG v10.  I have asked Darrin to change the text to Collapse personal media