TNG Community

Journeys In Genealogy Website

PapaTango

It has been quite a 'journey' since 2016 when I stood up my first primitive family genealogy site.  It was one, yet it really wasn't as then things were simply articles and posts of one sort or another in WordPress.  Needless to say, it wasn't very informative or interesting...

I now develop and publish a WordPress/TNG 'bundle' site, which is running the platform specifics seen in my signature line.  About a year and a half ago, I 'lost control' of the WP side of the site.  PHP changes, orphaned and outdated plugins--and years of trying out every bell & whistle I could find.  I learned the hard way that this is not a thoughtful way to publish a website.

After a complete rebuild using Laragon, earlier this year I re-published the site--and put some final tweaks to it last week.  Some elements look similar to the previous site.  Everything has been kept simple.  Let me know what you think!

https://journeysingenealogy.com

Great looking site. Like the couloring and the possibillity to comment on several of the articles in the Genealogy Pen.

Informative site for familymembers and visitors.

Like in my family there are rather many military familymembers too I see.

Well done,

Rob

Nice job.  Well done PapaTango.  Just checked out you new site.  May I ask what guestbook you are using?

@Rob Severijns most of what I am working on these days is to add military & occupations.  There are those I know from the heart--and so much more that is being teased out of census data.  The surprises have come from those who never talked about their WW1 & 2 military lives.  I am using 'Enhanced Statistics' to show some of this--but need to work on the Occupations label to get consistency across Ancestry, RootsMagic, and online TNG.  The numbers show what is in RM8 right now, but not yet fully ported in the GEDCOM to online.  Always something to do!

@John Paul Thanks for your kind comments.  The WP side of this is using Gwolle Guestbook plugin, with a few minor CSS tweaks.  Comments in photos are a product of NextGen Gallery Pro (with custom configuration), and the post comments through the WP default Comments with a few custom PHP tweaks.  Gahhhh...  🤐

Gwolle now supports the import of any or all comments from posts and articles--if one wanted to do that to consolidate comments in a single thing.  Don't know about that yet!