TNG Community

Template 13 French translation

DavidT1423

I am using Template 13 with TNG ver. 13.1.1. I have enabled French translation from an English language site. Everything works great except for the "Featured Links" on the home page. Although the French language links have been created, they never convert to French on the site. See: https://glassville.ca/tng/ and attached screenshot.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks,

David T

Screenshot_20220926-122318_Chrome.jpg

Go into Admin >> Setup >> General Settings >> Language ....and change your current language too French.

It's possible when you setup your Site originaly, it defaulted to the English setting.

I don't use another language apart from English, but looking at your Site, visitors have the option to change from English to French.

Having never used the setting (I described above) before, I'm not sure if this will aid in your desired outcome.

english.jpg

1 hour ago, edglimited said:

Go into Admin >> Setup >> General Settings >> Language ....and change your current language too French.

It's possible when you setup your Site originaly, it defaulted to the English setting.

I'll give that a try and see what happens. I do want the default language to be English, however, since the geographic area covered by the site is officially bilingual English/French, as is Canada itself, I want users to have the option to visit the site in French.

Did you define both languages in Admin > Languages?

I do not see an option in the URL you provided to select what language to use.  Your default language can remain English but you must define both languages in Admin > Languages

1 hour ago, edglimited said:

Sorry but that is not the way to accomplish this.  If you only added French to the Admin > Languages, that might be why you do not have the language selection in the top menu

I do not understand the point. The English/French dropdown selection is available on the right side below the login. The translation works for everything, except for the links at the top of the page.

David T

1 hour ago, Ken Roy said:

Sorry but that is not the way to accomplish this.  If you only added French to the Admin > Languages, that might be why you do not have the language selection in the top menu

Ken, that's why I went with "err on the side of caution"

3 hours ago, edglimited said:

Having never used the setting (I described above) before, I'm not sure if this will aid in your desired outcome.

I can now understand why David is confused, as is below, in blue.????

59 minutes ago, DavidT1423 said:

I do not understand the point. The English/French dropdown selection is available on the right side below the login. The translation works for everything, except for the links at the top of the page.

Would / could the issue be, that he has his Site as follows.

9 hours ago, DavidT1423 said:

I am using Template 13 with TNG ver. 13.1.1. "I have enabled French translation from an English language site". Everything works great except for the "Featured Links" on the home page. Although the French language links have been created, they never convert to French on the site. See: https://glassville.ca/tng/ and attached screenshot.

Sorry, I did not see the white language selection on a white background  :)

Template 13 has Dad's Side label and Mom's Side label that can be saved in different languages

It looks like you are using different links.   Take a look at Creating a new Template - TNG v12 which has information on adding new fields to a template that can be in more than one language.

It used to be easier before Darrin moved the Template Settings to the database.  You might be able to install the Template Manager mod and try to find fields that exist in other templates so you do not have to modify the TNG modules.