TNG Community
AD-6 SkyRaider

Assign People Their Own Tree?

AD-6 SkyRaider

I'm just curious what you all do, and yes, I know it's up to me, just looking for feedback.
When you get a new person to your site, do you set them as the starting or home person?
I was wondering because I don't follow every single line. So I might have a 1st to 3rd cousin or whatever that I have the basics on them and nothing else.
Obviously, they can backtrack and find the line that goes further.
Or I can leave it and set it with myself and they can find it.

What do you do? Pros and cons?

edglimited

If I get a new person to my Site, I just add them to the tree. Normally I just add Ancestors and Descendents and everyone else in between. There are a couple of Mods that will show first known relatives, Male or Remale. But I'm not one (fussy) for an Anchor. The eldest known in either line is normally the Anchor, because if it was'nt for him or her, we would'nt be here now.

Edit: I have 13 trees on my current Site, 2 are from either of my Parents, 4 are from either of my Grandparents. 2 are from my Wife. (she also has her own Site) The remainder are marriages through Brother's, Sister's of Trees, linking back to ours. In 1 Tree, I have 3 connections alone. Eg; My Uncles 2nd Cousin, married my Fathers 2nd Aunty.

AD-6 SkyRaider

I was weighing the pros and cons. On one hand, it makes it more personal for whomever and therefore the chances of getting additional information *might* increase.
For mom's side that isn't a problem. But that's where it ends. Dad's side and my wife's dad's side acts life everything is a secret and / or just aren't interested.

But I can also see it becoming an issue if cousin Joe, Sue, Bob, etc. ad nauseam, wants their line fleshed out. That's a whole lot of time that I don't have.

I've been setting the home person with me and I've been leaning to keep it that way but I wanted to hear other sides in case I was missing / not thinking of something.

edglimited
3 minutes ago, AD-6 SkyRaider said:

But I can also see it becoming an issue if cousin Joe, Sue, Bob, etc. ad nauseam, wants their line fleshed out. That's a whole lot of time that I don't have.

I agree. If you have a Gedcom or copy of (100 people or less), then upload it to Ancestry or MyHeritage. That way, you could / might get matches with cousin Joe, Sue, Bob, etc. You might also fish out the "Dad's side and my wife's dad's side acts life everything is a secret and / or just aren't interested". Some relatives are just waiting to spill the beans, but only to other relatives.!! My Great Grandfather (mums side) was a brickwall. And I mean a "Brick Wall". I searched for about 5 years and could'nt find anything on the bloke. Then I made a DNA Match on Gedmatch.com !?!

The Match was Dutch, although her Family Name was Van Peer and not Lee as per my Great Grandfather. The old buggar had changed both his names. Some more research and meeting of distant relatives opened up a whole new Family line and World. Yes "the chances of getting additional information *might* increase".

AD-6 SkyRaider

That's really amazing! And promising to hear. My wife's dad's side is rough. He and his family are all from Honduras. But Scotland shows up in his DNA. He passed away last year so we can't do a Y-DNA.
He had told the story that, from family legend and you know how accurate those are,  anyway, his great or great great grandfather was some officer in the military there. Came in the village and had an affair (forcibly or not - that's unknown) and the young lady was born.
So thinking about history and British Honduras that's a possibility.
So when we can afford it, we're going to get her brother's Y-DNA and see what that tells us.