TNG Community

can't send email from pi

GrupeDL

I can't send email through gmail from my installation on a Raspberry pi. Google says they have blocked third parties from sending email through their servers, unless you have a special key. When set to require authentication, TNG never connects, and locks up. When set to none, it says email sent, but is never received.

The Raspberry pi issues crop up from time to time. If you search for "Raspberry pi" there are several articles on common / not-common, mistakes, errors etc. I do recall another forum where someone was asking the same question that you have just asked. I believe from memory, he was using Google Chrome and that was causing his problem through sending mail with G-Mail.

Google is your best bet.

EDIT: I forgot I had this bookmarked. Just stumbled across it. It might help.

Raspberry Pi Email Issues

I have a program on my pi that sends registration info to someone wanting to register. I have tried the app password thing with a new gmail account. It will not connect to Google. I have tried various settings to no avail. I will contact the writer of the program, to see if he has any suggestions. Thank you for the info you provided.

OOps, I have been looking at various forums, and didn't realize this was actually in the TNG forum!

Edited by GrupeDL
added info

Looking at the logs, I see I am actually connecting to Google's email servers, but it then fails to send the message.

This is the log file:

DEBUG: setDebug: JavaMail version 1.5.5
DEBUG: getProvider() returning javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtp,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport,Oracle]
DEBUG SMTP: need username and password for authentication
DEBUG SMTP: useEhlo true, useAuth true
DEBUG SMTP: trying to connect to host "smtp.gmail.com", port 587, isSSL false
220 smtp.gmail.com ESMTP hf9-20020a05622a608900b00342fb07944fsm6865986qtb.82 - gsmtp
DEBUG SMTP: connected to host "smtp.gmail.com", port: 587

EHLO XXXXXXXX (My computer name)
250-smtp.gmail.com at your service, [0.0.0.0] (My IP address)
250-SIZE 35882577
250-8BITMIME
250-STARTTLS
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250 SMTPUTF8
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "SIZE", arg "35882577"
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "8BITMIME", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "STARTTLS", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "PIPELINING", arg ""
DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "SMTPUTF8", arg ""
STARTTLS
220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS

An error has been detected while trying to send the email.
Check the network settings and the email notification configuration.

Going by your log, you are setup through SMTP..????? If you connect using SSL or TLS, you can send mail to anyone inside or outside of your organization using smtp.gmail.com as your server. That option requires you to authenticate with the Gmail or Google Workspace account and passwords. ie;: DEBUG SMTP: "need username and password" for authentication.

You might want to change your settings and try IMAP / POP. IMAP is ideal if you use more than one device to communicate, ie; mobile / cell, computer, laptop, tablet, another computer etc...

POP is the easiest to setup in your case, as it seems most of your emailing is, or will be done through Raspberry.

My error! I am working with two different email application problems. The log I posted is for a different, Windows, application. Trying to send from TNG, locks up. I have to reboot the pi to get out of it. Does TNG create a log file? I found the settings, but can't find an actual log. sorry for the miss leading info!

11 minutes ago, GrupeDL said:

My error! I am working with two different email application problems. The log I posted is for a different, Windows, application. Trying to send from TNG, locks up. I have to reboot the pi to get out of it. Does TNG create a log file? I found the settings, but can't find an actual log. sorry for the miss leading info!

It's all good, we all make tiny errors. I can't answer your question, as I do not use TNG to send any email etc, although, they have an SMTP option, in Admin >> Setup >> General Settings >> Mail and Registration. (see attachment). All my Company Email Acct's are setup through our Server using SMTP, TLS/SSL.

Someone else may know how to point you in the right direction, logs etc.

smtp.jpg

To debug the email and get a log, you have to edit tngmaillib.php.  Inside the try start it with

$mail->setDebugLevel(4);

This will output the logs in the most verbose way to the browser.  Sending a suggestion or comment is the simplest way to test.  https://netcorecloud.com/tutorials/send-an-email-via-gmail-smtp-server-using-php/ is a page that explains a bit of the settings and errors that you may see in the logs.

Brent