TNG Community

Editing Feature1.php Link (And More Problems)

AD-6 SkyRaider

AD-6 SkyRaider

My site https://bonesareforever.org/index.php
My version: tng v-13

On the right side of my page I have titled "Before you jump in..." and the "More" at the bottom of that paragraph, when I click that [https://bonesareforever.org/histories/feature1.php] I get a 404.
Additionally, when adding information to that text area box, I can only add so much and it will not accept anymore.
Well, I can add plenty, but when saving it, it says Forbidden, I Don't Have Access, yadda-yadda.

So 1) How / where can I edit the "More" link.

2) Why am I getting a Forbidden message when trying to save text for the Feature 1 paragraph under Folder: templates/template17.

I am returning to edit this.
I'm having one issue after another. I generated my API key, maps don't work.
I uploaded one picture and it gave me a page of errors.

If you just installed an upgrade, you might have skipped part of the installation instructions. Go back to the upgrade readme page reread the instructions. Pay special attention to the database        structure step.

If you just installed TNG for the first time, you might still need to create the database tables. Return to the readme.html page to find that step.

If you are the site owner, you may contact TNG support for further assistance with this problem. Please copy the query below and paste it into your message.

Query: UPDATE tng_media SET path="William Donald and Lillian Vest and Dau. Carolyn Jean Vest.jpg",thumbpath="thumb_William Donald and Lillian Vest and Dau. Carolyn Jean Vest.jpg",description="William D. Vest Sr. and wife Lillian Vest and Daughter Carolyn Jean Vest - 1 Front",notes="",width="0",height="0",datetaken="",placetaken="",owner="",changedate="2022-08-31 20:36:59",changedby="DonVest",form="JPG",alwayson="0",mediatypeID="photos",map="",abspath="0",gedcom="vest",status="",cemeteryID="0",plot="",showmap="0",linktocem="0",latitude="",longitude="",zoom="0",bodytext="
",usenl="0",newwindow="0",private="0",usecollfolder="1",mediakey="photos/William Donald and Lillian Vest and Dau. Carolyn Jean Vest.jpg" WHERE mediaID="103"

Duplicate entry 'vest-photos/William Donald and Lillian Vest and Dau. Carolyn ...' for key 'mediakey'

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had Simply Hosting start everything for me. Should I just crap it all and start over and do it myself or is there something really freaking simple that I'm not seeing.
I've searched the Wiki and the forums. If i did happen to find anything, it was several years and several versions out of date.

I don't mean to come off nasty. I've had a really crap day , I'm frustrated and can't get this to work. I think I'm going to shut everything down and walk away for a bit.

Thank you

Screenshot 2022-08-31 203809.jpg

Screenshot 2022-08-31 204211.jpg

Edited by AD-6 SkyRaider
More information

Whilst I cannot comment on the first part of your question, only because I don't use and have'nt used the Histories Feature, I'm sure someone will.

As a newbie, you will pickup tricks on what can and cant be done with TNG. To give you an example, I am currently desiging a new Template, with bits borrowed from other Templates. As you can see in the link  Lee - Bulleid Website  it is not yet finished. Needs some shading, all the pictures linked, all the person links etc.

But it does answer your question.....,

"Additionally, when adding information to that text area box, I can only add so much and it will not accept anymore.
Well, I can add plenty, but when saving it, it says Forbidden, I Don't Have Access, yadda-yadda."

With TNG, you just have to think outside the square. Hope that helps. 😉

Drew..

Rob Severijns

Regarding your 1st two questions.

Create a directory named histories (all lower case) in your TNG (website) root directory

In your TNG (website) root there is a file named historytemplate.php 

Create a copy and place it into the histories directory.

In the histories directory rename the historytemplate.php into feature1.php

Check your website to see if the 404 has disappeared.

In the historytemplate.php file there are instructions on how to create extra pages. 

You do need some basic HTML knowledge but if you keep it simple it's not to difficult.

Edit the feature1.php file with a text-editor like notepad++ and put the desired text in there. 

After saving your feature1.php file the clicking of the more button should show you the extra information.

You might need to clear your browser cache and/or refresh your page before the changes are visible.

Hope this helps.

AD-6 SkyRaider

I appreciate it.
Since Simply Hosting set it all up for me, how would I get to the root directory?

Rob Severijns

You can download a FTP client like Filezilla to view/edit the directories and file listings.

You do need your website's credentials like Hostname, Username, Password to see them.

I don't have Simply Hosting as my ISP so I'm not entirly sure if they have other options to view the directories and file listings.

They or maybe another forum member should be able to tell you.

Edit:

I just read that Simply Hosting has Plesk available so you should be able to use that to view/edit your directories and file listings.

Edited by Rob Severijns
Additional info

AD-6 SkyRaider

Thanks for all the help. I asked Simply Hosting about it and they sent me a link to cPanel. It's incredibly frustrating. I've had front end training, up to JavaScript and React etc. but have never tried to do anything with this end. I feel like I'm in algebra all over again, like people just expect everyone to know terminology and where to find x, y, and z and what to do when you get there.
I was really hoping to refer this to my genealogy group on FB. It's nothing huge, 2.6k members, but I'd only refer if they had the patience of Job or have someone else do it.

I asked Simply Hosting what needs to be done to just delete everything and I would start over from the zip that was sent to me. At least then I would know where everything was.

AD-6 SkyRaider

Rob, Simply Hosting just now sent me login information to cPanel. Why they wouldn't do this from the beginning is beyond me.
It's like traveling and through an unknown area and someone tells you to turn left at Old Man Franklin's farm.... I don't know Old Man Franklin. That does nothing for me. I wouldn't refer Simply Hosting to anyone, so far.

Rob Severijns

For what it's worth, I started using TNG years ago and noticed that setting up TNG and maintaining a website was a totally new ballgame.

But.... with the help from several forum members I got things done.

I've been using TNG for almost a decade now and I still learn new things.

There are a number of forum members that use Simply Hosting as their ISP and they're mostly positive. I'm sure they can help you out if you run into problems or have questions..

Hope you can figure it out and if not or you're not sure just ask in the forum.

One word of advise is that it is wise to read the wiki pages regarding TNG functions and security topics in TNG.

Let me know if you fixed the histories template.

Last but not least it's wise not to post information or pictures with account / password and/or key information. Blur is first.

Good luck,