TNG Community

Citations Are Fragmenting

jhculbert

I am using TNG v. 13.0.3 on my desktop as my primary database.  I am experiencing citations that fragment in the tng_citations.bak file upon backup of my current database. 

This results in syntax errors after I copy my latest backup files over to my public TNG site, then do a restore there.

Here are a few of the typical fragmentation errors from that file, using the same citation:

1.  There appears to be a hard return before "S.D. 4, putting that fragment on a second line that TNG cannot handle.

"295931","Culbert","I8122","198038","S144","999","","25 Apr 1910","1910-04-25","",

"S.D. 4, E.D. 27, 324 Sixth Street, Ward 2, Second Precinct, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, sheet 8A, p. 90, d108/f171, Lizzie Kaereher household; http://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:2:9JVJ-CGL","",""

2.  There appear to be two hard returns before "S.D. 4, putting that fragment on a second line that TNG cannot handle.

"295931","Culbert","I8122","198038","S144","999","","25 Apr 1910","1910-04-25","",

"S.D. 4, E.D. 27, 324 Sixth Street, Ward 2, Second Precinct, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, sheet 8A, p. 90, d108/f171, Lizzie Kaereher household; http://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:2:9JVJ-CGL","",""

3.  There appears to be a hard return before the last quotation mark in the citation, putting that on a second line that TNG cannot handle.

"295931","Culbert","I8122","198038","S144","999","","25 Apr 1910","1910-04-25","","S.D. 4, E.D. 27, 324 Sixth Street, Ward 2, Second Precinct, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, sheet 8A, p. 90, d108/f171, Lizzie Kaereher household; http://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:2:9JVJ-CGL","","

"

To fix these I have to manually go through the entire file and reconnect all the citation fragments to restore them.  By the way, my citation backup file is 35.2 MB, and there were hundreds of these fragments created this last time.  This is quite tedious to correct, and I don't know why they occur.

Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas?

Jim Culbert

Jim,

It would make sense if the file had been edited in something that had word wrap turned on and then saved.  If the file is that way right out of TNG, that does not make any sense at all.  In notepad++ you can use the replace with the Extended radio button selected.  You use ,\r\n" in the find what field and ," in the replace with field.  After doing a couple of the replaces, you should be able to see that it is working correctly and do the replace all.  For the two returns it would be ,\r\n\r\n" that you are finding to replace.  It doesn't fix whatever is causing the extra line breaks, but at least should be faster in repairing them than one by one and the count can tell you how many of each occurrence as well.

Brent

Thanks, Brent. 

Unfortunately, the fragmentation is what I found upon first opening the citations.bak file created by my desktop TNG, using the TextEdit app I have on my iMac.

I had to do that because, using that unaltered citations.bak file to restore my citations data on my public website (along with all the other backup files), it resulted in hundreds of citations syntax errors.

Jim

• 4 months later...

I am still experiencing this issue.  It takes days to check my 35 MB+ citations.bak file and make the hundreds of necessary corrections!

I cannot use a find/replace in my text editor to correct  these line breaks.

Here is another example:

"294903","Culbert","F12995","197480","S144","999","","22 Apr 1910","1910-04-22","
","S.D. 23, E.D. 652, 1340 Marshall, Ward 27, Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, sheet 11A, p. 143, d159/f184, Fredrick Culbert household; http://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:2:9FF6-R4R","",""

ALL of these line breaks are occurring in the citetext part of the citation.  They very commonly occur with census citations like the above.

Here is another example:

"207553","Culbert","I18830","174711","S2198","0","","","0000-00-00","\"Items from Portland.  The large warehouse of L W. Culbert, on the Willamette river, below Corvallis, was carried away by the recant(sic) high water, together with 8,000 bushels of grain.\"
","Vol. 12, No. 137, 28 Jan 1881, p. 4, col. 1","",""

And sometimes they occur after quotations are used in the citation, as above.

Please, please - is there anyone out there who can help me determine why line breaks are occurring when citations are saved to my citations.bak file?

I'm actually going to record the citation ID Nos. this time to see if the errors are reoccurring with the same citations.